April 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: April 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby amandamechele » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:01 am

Here is a link to register for tomorrow's free online webinar: Live with Dr. McDougall: Salt & Sugar Recommendations.
Tuesday April 9th at 11am PST.

If you can't catch it live another link to a replay will be available in a couple of days.

:) :cool: 8) :nod:
amandamechele

Postby landog » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:31 am

Mid-way through April!

I had some (okay, a lot) of banana bread at my Mom's wake and funeral (it was compliant, my wife made it, but not MWL). Also brought a crock pot of potato soup to the after-funeral get together. My cousins were surprised that I'd bring my own food.

Holding steady - zero weight loss this week. 156.5 lbs.

Stay safe on this Friday the Thirteenth! Have a great week, everybody!

Go Cleveland, beat those Blue Jays! :D

Last edited by landog on Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
landog

Postby plantlvr09 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:09 am

Down two pounds since last Friday. Thanks for encouragement to get back to basics!
plantlvr09

Postby galooop » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:26 am

Gained 0.6 LBS

bit of a rush this morning...
have a great weekend!
:-) Chris
galooop

Postby Jobet » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:56 am

JeffN wrote:To Weigh or Not To Weigh?

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=57741

In Health
Jeff

Thanks so much, Jeff, for the incredible thread. I'm still studying it. There is so much awesome information there, and very timely for me.
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby victw » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:05 am

1.8 for the past week.

I think it's high because I didn't drink enough water yesterday. My schedule was turned upside down and we know what that does for habits. I ate decent.

I attended a local vegan gourmet club - they focus on health - held at a local Adventist church.
Mostly older people - I think I'll try it a few more times. Hoping to find some local support.

Wish I could bottle up my focus and motivation. Hence a focus on developing habits that go on auto pilot.

I think I'm averaging at least a pound of veggies a day. I don't always record too closely hence the average.

Perspective is always amusing. The end of the week is always harder. I've run low on groceries and don't want to shop when I'm hungry. Packing for this morning I thought I didn't have anything in the house. But I actually managed to put together about half a pound of veggies that I've had for breakfast.

Will go to lunch with the coworkers if they pick a place where I can make good choices. Otherwise I have a back up plan for picking up a salad.

Fun thing - I grated a bag of beets from Trader Joes Tuesday night. We've been adding them to salads and eating them with balsamic vinegar. They are much better than I expected.

Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby Jobet » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:12 am

Hello everyone!

After reading the wonderful post by Jeff, To Weigh or Not To Weigh?, and studying the links, I've come to the conclusion that I need to weigh weekly rather than monthly.

Two things I've noticed since I decided to weigh monthly:

1. I found myself in a situation where there were rice cakes. I love rice cakes, but they are not on the MWL program! I ate some of them, thinking to myself, "This will be okay, I'm not weighing until the end of the month! I'll work 'em off before then." (Wow! I do not like that way of thinking. When weighing weekly I don't think like that and would pass them up.)

2. Also, I've noticed that I'm thinking about weighing every day, when before it was set in my mind that I weighed on Fridays. It's like the monthly thing has made me think about weighing more, rather than less. (Not sure that makes sense, but it is what it is!)

So, I'm going back to being a semi-scale monkey (not every day, but every Friday)! :)

Amy, I hope I'm doing this correctly: My total for last week and this week combined is 1.6 lost.
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby Sundog » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:04 pm

Weight today 224.0 Released 2.3 lbs :D :D

Happy healthy Friday everyone,

I’m so happy to see my weight going down! The reason is that I am being 100% compliant and just moving more during the day. I have a long way to go but I’m not focused on that. I’m happy with the slow steady weight loss and feeling healthier each week. :-D This week I want to try and increase my movement around the house and yard if the doctor gives me a ‘green light’ post procedure.
I saw what Jeff wrote about weighing and I agree with what he had to say.
Dr.Lisle’s talk about weighing was for people with food addictions or people who are addicted to the scale. People who can’t handle the psychological aspect of the numbers on the scale. The scale puts them into a negative unhealthy mindset.
Wishing everyone a healthy week! Make yourself and your health the number 1 priority each and every day.
Best,
Sundog :-D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
9-28-17 weight 253.6. 11-03-18- Start MWL 250.8 . Goal weight 130
Sundog

Postby Rosey » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:21 pm

Didn't do to bad this week went from 305lbs to 301.2lbs so 3.8lb loss this week.
Rosey

Postby amandamechele » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:27 pm

Landog - What a difficult week, and you still managed to come prepared. You must feel so grateful to have such a supportive spouse at your side. As for the game...there's always tomorrow! :P Does that picture indicate that you went today? I'm so jealous! We are considering going to a Mariners game because that's the closest the Jays will ever be to us now.

plantlvr09 - Congratulations, great loss this week. I like your username and am intrigued...are you the 9th Plant Lover here or maybe a Plant Lover since '09? LOL.

Chris - Thank you for checking in! Have a lovely and busy weekend. :)

Vic - I'm glad you're finding local events to attend, that can be so fun and helpful for finding people to chat veggie with. If you do manage to figure out how to bottle your focus and motivation count me as a customer! Hee hee. The grated beets on salad sound delicious. What kind of balsamic vinegar do you like to use?

Jobet - Wonderful news. I'm happy you'll be joining us weekly to weigh-in. I agree with your reflections, I am guilty of that kind of behaviour as well and am so glad you are finding what works best for you. (I'm one of those obsessing and unstable people that Dr. Lisle refers to in Jeff's post, so I'll still be weighing monthly...otherwise the scale may get thrown out the window on a bad week...ha!) You've added it all up correctly...great loss for the past couple of weeks. Your effort is really showing.

Sundog - You have such a great attitude about this. I hope your doctor gives you that green light very soon. Best wishes this week.

Rosey - Congratulation on your loss this week...everything's coming up roses! (I had trouble deciding between that line and life is rosy - both of which will acquaint you with my groan-worthy sense of humour. :lol: ) You didn't do too bad at all!!
Last edited by amandamechele on Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:41 pm

Happy Friday the 13th!

(It was either this or a picture of Jason)
amandamechele

Postby moonlight » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:07 pm

I have lost 1 lb! Down to 186 again. Yeeha!

I hope everyone has a good week. I'm out of town visiting family. I'm real pleased with my food choices. I brought a few pre-made items with me. I think making the effort to bring compliant food has helped me stay focused on my new lifestyle. I'm not craving forbidden food. The only drawback is not getting enough exercise... I'll go back home on Sunday so hopefully I'll get back into a good exercise routine.
moonlight

Postby Svenja » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:00 am

Good morning!

I lost one pound (almost two ... but not quite ...).

I am still exercising 6-7 days a week and I started running again ... just very slow and short distance, but I was surprised how well it worked. I will see if I can slowly increase it. Just difficult to fit into my week.

Amy ... to come back to your questions ... I honestly don't know the name of these flowers, I picked them because they won't die with a little bit of frost at night. Would post a picture, but don't know how to do that.
I hope that today or tomorrow I can get my herb seeds out.
Finally bushes and trees are starting to get leaves :) ... there is hope for summer!!!
But it is rainy and cold-ish today ...

Have a great day everyone!
Svenja.
03.03.17 = 245 lbs
Svenja

Postby amandamechele » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:53 pm

Hi All,

Many thanks for taking the time to check in this week. I am so impressed with how each of you are doing. Your dedication to your health is very inspiring!

Did any of you have a chance to watch Dr. McDougall and Gustavo in the McDougall webinar this past Tuesday? Dr John McDougall, MD: Salt & Sugar Recommendations.

Here is the essence of the webinar: As the title indicates, Dr. McDougall discusses his recommendations for the consumption of salt and sugar while following the McDougall plan. With regards to salt, oil and sugar, focus on ensuring the oil is out of your diet. As Mary says We do not eat SOS free...we are O-free. They want you to enjoy your food and if that includes a little bit of salt or sugar sprinkled on the surface, go for it! That being said, they don't recommend cooking with salt, AND they don't recommend loading up your food with either sugar or salt. Just a little bit.

Most importantly, he wants people to focus on the broader picture: eating rice, corn, potatoes and beans. He reiterates This is a starch-based diet, when you look at your plate over 90% of it is covered with corn or rice or potatoes...then you have some green stuff, some fruits and vegetables, things like that.... (He's referring to the regular program here, for the MWL program aim for around 50%- 75% starch ensuring you keep the amount high enough to keep you satisfied until your next meal.)

I just want to get you well...I want people to lose the weight, have their blood pressure come down and their diabetes to go away...I want you to eat the food and that's why we give them (salt and sugar) to you!

Newsletter: Salt: The Scapegoat of the Western Diet
Presentation to Vegetarian Society of Hawaii: The Starch Solution and Why Salt is a Scapegoat.

Being familiar with the general guidelines, what I love about these webinars are the fun little personal tidbits you learn. Who knew that Mary likes to add a little salt and sugar to her food, but Dr. McDougall doesn't tend to do so? I would have guessed Mary liked sugar because she's sweet, and maybe Dr. McDougall likes some salt because of, well, his salty personality. :P

I hope everyone has a great week and focuses on the big picture. Eat those potatoes, and if you want a little ketchup or Sriracha to add some zing...do it! Maybe even sprinkle a little salt on them. Enjoy!

Amy

Here are the results for the second week in April:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, April 20th, 2018

Total group loss reported in 2018: 181.5 pounds

April 2018 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2018: 54.7 pounds
Total group loss in February 2018: 49.3 pounds
Total group loss in March 2018: 52.5 pounds
Total group loss in April 2018: 24.9 pounds

Week ending 04/13/2018: 10 participants reported a total loss of 12.9 pounds
---------------------------------------
Galooop - 0.6
---------------------------------------
Total gains: 0.6
--------------------------------------
Landog - 0.0
Plantlvr09 - 2.0
Victw - 1.8
Jobet - 1.6
Sundog - 2.3
Rosey - 3.8
Moonlight - 1.0
Svenja - 1.0
amandamechele - 0.0
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 13.5
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in April 2018: 24.9 pounds
Week ending 04/13/2018: 10 participants reported a total loss of 12.9 pounds
Week ending 04/06/2018: 11 participants reported a total loss of 12 pounds
amandamechele

Postby landog » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:59 am

amandamechele wrote:Landog - What a difficult week, and you still managed to come prepared. You must feel so grateful to have such a supportive spouse at your side.

I am grateful each and every day! She came along with this way of eating so willingly and cheerfully. I doubt that I could have done it alone.

amandamechele wrote: As for the game...there's always tomorrow! :P Does that picture indicate that you went today? I'm so jealous! We are considering going to a Mariners game because that's the closest the Jays will ever be to us now.

The picture was from a lunchtime walk. I did go to the game on Friday night. We were up 4 - 0 when our pitcher couldn't get his off speed stuff over for strikes. A few walks and he switched to nothing but fastballs. Seems like the Blue Jays are very good at hitting fastballs! I hope that you enjoyed the W and that you get to Seattle for a game!
landog

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program