November 2017 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: November 2017 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby amandamechele » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:06 am

Hi All,

Thank you to everyone who checked in so far. If you're running late, or just want to post a zero for the week without weighing yourself, please do; I'll update the tally to accommodate. I'm hoping some of you are just on the fence because maybe the week didn't go according to plan.

My week didn't go exactly according to plan and I figured I should share it...or more correctly: 'fess up.

I've managed to get myself stuck in Dr. Lisle's pleasure trap...doh!

I have kids, who went trick-or-treating on Halloween...and brought the booty home...I don't think I need to explain that part any further. I was like, no sweat, I've just come off a really good month; I ate well, avoided sugar and refined flours, didn't snack in the evenings and wasn't having any cravings. We are currently staying in someone else's home so I won't do anything embarrassing...I've got this.

My downfall started slowly, I purchased a gigantic container of dates to help avoid the other temptation (I'm not advising that this was a good strategy :( ... just the one I happened to use). Pretty soon my kids and I began playing a game called hide those pillowcases...that worked for a few days, but I steadily snacked on the dates. I could feel that this (and the constant tug of the forbidden loot) was weakening my resolve...I only have so much willpower. Then we moved into our home (yay!) and I began to spend a bit of time each day looking for those pillow cases because, well, that seemed like a productive thing to do (Ha...DL reference). Then one day I found them.
After that happened we had to get the junk out of the house. It's gone now but I'm still struggling with those pesky cravings. So much so that I went out and bought some dried fruit today and ate the whole bag. Boo!

That doesn't sound so fun, huh? The past week and a half has been a struggle, but I've been reflecting a bit about it. Here's a list of some familiar advise to keep in mind when you're having a rough week:

- if it's tempting, or a trigger food for you, try to keep it out of your home. (Its just like so many of the plant based mentors say, keep your home free of temptations whenever you can).
- get yourself back on track as soon as possible. Don't let 1 slip turn into a week-long problem.
- know that the process of getting back on track isn't the most comfortable time, but that discomfort doesn't last for more than a week (at least in my experience, 4 days or so - I included a link to an interview Dr. Lisle did about this subject in my last post).
- getting off track can be discouraging but try to remember this happens to almost all of us and will continue to happen periodically. This is not failure, that's way too harsh. Just a blip...a slip..a temporary step off of the path.
- you are going to be okay and there is no need for melancholy music to wallow in your own personal dysfunction. LOL .... okay maybe a little mood music is allowed. My point here is that there is no dysfunction to wallow in...this is just a normal part of weight management. There will be good weeks and bad weeks, try to remember what you did well.
- Karen's personal mascot (the tortoise) is our spirit animal. :)

My week could have been better, but many of you did really well and I'm very happy for you. Hearing your stories and trials and successes is very helpful, inspirational and motivating. Keep at it. XO

Jeff Novick: People and Non-Compliance,
Dr. Doug Lisle: The Pleasure Trap
Dr. Doug Lisle: Food Addiction, Emotional Eating, Weight Loss (Part 1), Webinar 05/12/16
Dr. Doug Lisle: Food Addiction, Emotional Eating, Weight Loss (Part 2), Webinar 06/23/16

And here's a little inspiration from Ron M.

Best wishes this week to everyone!
Amy

Here are the results for the second week in November:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, November 17th, 2017

Total group loss reported in 2017: 708.56 pounds

November 2017 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2017: 137.25 pounds
Total group loss in February 2017: 102.91 pounds
Total group loss in March 2017: 111.3 pounds
Total group loss in April 2017: 56.1 pounds
Total group loss in May 2017: 41.8 pounds
Total group loss in June 2017: 44.4 pounds
Total group loss in July 2017: 34.9 pounds
Total group loss in August 2017: 59.6 pounds
Total group loss in September 2017: 41.9 pounds
Total group loss in October 2017: 41.7 pounds
Total group loss in November 2017: 36.7 pounds

Week ending 11/10/2017: 14 participants reported a total loss of 19.2 pounds
---------------------------------------
Galooop - 0.6
Bougainvillea - 1.0
BeHealthy - 1.0
---------------------------------------
Total gains: 2.6
--------------------------------------
Suey51 - 0.0
Katie3 - 2.3
Zsilent1 - 1.0
Moonlight - 3.0
Stillcrazy - 4.2
Werner1950 - 2.0
Reni - 2.0
Sundog - 2.3
Purposive - 3.0
Lilcurry51 - 2.0
amandamechele - 0.0
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 21.8
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in November 2017: 36.7 pounds
Week ending 11/10/2017: 14 participants reported a total loss of 19.2 pounds
Week ending 11/03/2017: 23 participants reported a total loss of 17.5 pounds
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:16 am

All that being said, here's a quick peek at what I ate today.. At least I'll be regular...oh wait, I'm a McDougaller, I already am regular...LOL (Yep, I'm a child...or at least spend way to much time joking around with them :P )

(Edit: I had to remove the comment pretty darn good after I took a closer look at the calorie count on those prunes that I ate...yikes!)
amandamechele

Postby zsilent1 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:49 am

O, Amy I feel ya! About the Halloween candy thing. I succumbed too! That’s what we’re here for- to live and learn. Thank you, beyond words, for being here for us. :-D

You are our trailblazer extraordinaire. :) I admire your courageous honesty. Thank you for so bravely shining a light on your experiences; which are also my/our experiences too - universal experiences we all are going through.

LOVED the article about you! You are my inspiration! May goal is about 200 lbs away. I’ve got a way to go. I am totally committed to this way of eating. There is no compromise, no other way for me. The science behind eating plants is all convincing to me. The results speak for themselves. I have lost 40 lbs since starting McDougalling in mid July. Feeling better, in all ways, than I have in years.

Yes, I am proudly proclaiming to be a member of the Turtle Clan! Thanks, Karen! :D

In the Spirit of Love,
Susan
zsilent1

Postby stillcrazy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:02 am

Hi Amy, you are so good at encouraging us. Thanks for posting about your hard week — week+ actually and how you are going about getting back on track. Getting back is certainly harder for me than staying on but easily forgotten when I am tempted. I am truly a sugar addict and find that dried fruit, for me, is the same as eating candy. Dates in particular! But even prunes or dried apple slices, I can’t quit once I start and then I really have to battle the cravings for a few days.

All summer long i over ate dried fruits and nuts, telling myself i was still doing the program even though i was gaining weight. I really got out of control with it and feel so much more sane now that I don’t have either in the house. MWL actually eliminates all the things i can get in trouble with — flour (homemade pizza crust, oil-free breadj is also dangerous. So i focus on the really delicious things i do eat, or try to anyway.

Good luck to you on a great week ahead. You are my champion!
stillcrazy

Postby Bougainvillea » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:08 pm

I have been obsessing over the craving for dark chocolate. I think I may have to just go buy one and get it over with. I think sometimes we need to just imbibe, promising ourselves it's a one off.

What got me obsessing, was I was in the checkout line at Walmart and it was taking forever. And you know how you're stuck there staring at a wall of candy and garbage. Well, the young lady in front of me started looking at the candy, and she grabbed a Kit Kat bar, and then changed her mind and put it back.

Normally, I just don't let myself focus on the Wall of Temptation, but watching her got me thinking - hmmm, a Kit Kat bar sounds kind of good, but I really don't care much for milk chocolate.

Then, my eye wandered farther down on the Wall of Temptation and you won't believe it - Kit Kat now makes a dark chocolate Kit Kat bar!!! Oh man. I walked out without buying one, but it stayed on my mind. I went back a couple days later and it was on my mind, but I walked out without one. But, I can't stop thinking about it.

I think I'm just going to go buy one tomorrow and get it out of my system.

I normally am really good about just not keeping tempting stuff in my apartment - other than alcohol. That's my one real vice, but I normally don't overdo it. Although, I kind of did yesterday. Probably should have just bought the Kit Kat bar LOL.

Yesterday, I was cooking and canning, which makes my neck hurt. But, I hate having to stop what I'm doing to go lay down or ice my neck, so what did I do so I could keep going? I had a beer, of course! LOL. Then, still had my wine with dinner.

Alcohol makes me retain water or something. Overnight after having my beer and wine, I went from 191 to 194. Doh.

Anyway, Amy, as a member of our new Turtle Clan - I think we must allow that we are not saints. I think Dr. Lisle's chart is so great where he has the boxes for starches, veggies/salads, and fruits - 3 boxes for starches and one each for salads and fruits - as our goal for the day, with only an 80% success rate required.

I love that. As long as I mostly do things right - I AM doing things right.

And dang it, I'm going to go buy that dang dark chocolate Kit Kat bar tomorrow and enjoy the heck out of it and get it over with. :twisted:
Off meds/animal products 8/13/17, oil-free since 8/29/17
BP WAY down right away. In 3 months: Cholesterol down 26pts, Triglycerides down 27pts. Next 3 mos way back up ???
61 yrs, 5'5" tall
Starting weight 8/13/17 : 204 lbs As of 2/14/18: 186 lbs
Bougainvillea

Postby amandamechele » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:49 am

Purposive - Thank you, that's very sweet of you to say. :) Congratulations on your determination success, I love your game of choice challenge! I posted about a book that I had read recently called The Telemere Effect. What you're doing sounds much like what the authors called The Challenge response (pg76-85) in the face of a stressor. Instead of choosing to feel threatened by this food gauntlet you have to run each day, you have created an energizing challenge for yourself to face this anticipatory threat. This is a healthy way to deal with your situation and will lead to greater success than worrying about it or feeling defeated by it. Kudos to you! I'm also happy to hear that you are able to enjoy your different dinners together with family!
Have a fantastic new week yourself, I'm glad you have chosen to sojourn with us for a time. :)

Lilcurry51 - I'm sorry to hear about your stressful week. I hope whatever is going on will end soon or work itself out. Keep doing the best that you can, and you will continue to see results, and be kind to yourself when things don't quite go as you wish.

Susan - XO :o That's exactly it Susan! Constantly keep learning about yourself and how you respond to different situations in order to figure out a better response the next time it comes around (Halloween's only once a year, thankfully, and I've learned my lesson. Those pillowcases full of loot don't get to stay in the house because my track record consistently shows me that I cannot handle it). Thank you for sharing a little bit more about yourself and I hope you continue to feel more comfortable doing so. :) I've been through many programs and plans, tried a number of gimmicks, and at one point seriously considered bariatric surgery ...25 years of trying to figure my way out of being obese. This is where I have come to rest (and it was not an easy or quick process to do so). It is the most comprehensive weight management program I have found due to (1)As Dr. McDougall says Its the food! - this eating plan - which omits dairy, oil and animals, and limits or eliminates refined foods and the hyper-palatability of excess sugar and salt -, (2) the psychological explanations that explain why we keep gravitating back to those aforementioned foods, (3) access to the professionals and clinicians who follow the research and patients over the long term and have developed a unique understanding of the issue and (4) a community of supportive peers who have navigated the issues one is likely to face and are always happy to offer their thoughts. I am so happy to hear about your success so far, welcome to the clan...lol!

stillcrazy - Thank you! I so hear you, getting back on track is difficult. But I'm so thankful to have experienced those intermittent periods of time when I get to feel relief from those cravings...it happens when I get enough things right with the food for a long enough period of time. For me that never happened with other plans, only with this one. I was that cliche of the yo-yo swinging between constant vigilance and restraint and outright gluttony in reaction to that. We sound very similar regarding how we react to food, and for that I'm very sorry (because I understand how tough this is for you) and very happy for you (because I know there is a way out - it just takes some time to figure it all out and get it right more often than wrong). Good thoughts and wishes to you this week! One day at a time, my friend. :)

Karen - I like this Turtle clan thing (don't tell my Scots-Irish ancestors that I'm defecting though...lol). That temptation at the store can wear you down. I wish you all the best however you chose to deal with it. I would personally not shop there for the next few days until the craving began to subside. Maybe shop somewhere else until that little renegade thought bouncing around in your head is subdued a bit. If you feed that craving, you may prolong it. Here's the link where Dr. Lisle talks about why that is:
Dr. Doug Lisle: The Cram Circuit - The Story of Binge Eating and Overeating.
Dr. Lisle's Starch Targets chart is a fantastic tool! You have a great attitude about this - as long as you are doing things mostly right you will make some progress.
I found an online example of one to show everyone what you are referring to:
This is who created that visual: teresapassey.com - I did not read any of her blog so I don't know anything else about her or what she recommends and how similar or not it is to this plan.

I agree with you that none of us are saints, but for me that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to be saintly (to use your metaphor :)). We've got some wonderfully effective guidelines that can be tough to follow for some. My goal is to always try to get as close to following them as possible, while not beating myself up or making excuses when I've not done so well. At this point in my journey there is less wiggle room for those little allowances that I can control (mostly because of the times I uncontrollably fall out of line...lol). PS. I loved your corn tortilla photos from the other day. They looked delicious.
amandamechele

Postby Werner1950 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:56 am

Heading for Cuba on Wednesday, so I won't be able to weigh in this Friday. Web access is doubtful where I am going, and certainly no weigh scales.. See you all next week.
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

Postby galooop » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:06 pm

here's a little video - Formal Dinner of plant based eating :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiihwdD4dyw

galooop

Postby SonjaK » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:28 am

galooop wrote:here's a little video - Formal Dinner of plant based eating :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiihwdD4dyw

galoop, :lol: :lol: That is great!!

Boogie, I feel for your struggle with chocolate and whether to feed cravings or try to fight them. Amy's recommendation in a few threads led me to watching the Cram Cycle and the follow-up cram/binge video (interview with Chef AJ) and that led me to Chef AJ (who I am adoring right now and so appreciate all of her free Weight Loss Weds videos). In one of her talks she recommends the book "The End of Overeating" and wow is that book powerful/great (minus the picture of carrot cake on the front which is just mean... I have to keep it face down or use self-talk to remember why I don't eat that anymore because it's always been my favorite cake and a favorite dessert, period).

I'm making huge shifts in my life and how I view food right now but reading that book in particular has really gotten my anger/stubbornness up with the food industry. No way am I letting them decide what I desire or think about. Which treats I buy and when. Let them control my weight, my life. ... No NO NOOO.

Sonja
SonjaK

Postby Svenja » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:20 am

Dear all,

I missed a few weeks ... sorry!

But I have to report that I passed my last exam for the German equivalent of Naturopathic Doctor ... :D

The oral exam was yesterday ... and I still can't quite believe that I did it! It's been a long road!

Put on some weight the last few weeks, but didn't buy any junk.

Have a great evening everybody!
Svenja.
03.03.17 = 245 lbs
Svenja

Postby zsilent1 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:29 pm

Svenga,

Congratulations! Great job! All your hard work has paid off!

:-D :-D :-D

Susan
zsilent1

Postby Suey51 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:31 am

Greetings groupmates!

I’m posting a 0.4 pound gain this week. Eating went well most of the week, but then the lure of some new bread and some evening cramming nudged the scales upwards.

Svenja – many many congrats on passing the oral exam!
Chris – thanks for sharing the article about Amy and the great video! That would make a great Christmas card :lol:
Amy – I loved reading your story and learning about your exciting new venture. You are such an inspiration and what a great photo! Great to hear that you’ve now moved into the new place :-D

Here are the recipes I mentioned on my last post (adapted to without oil):
Mixed Vegetable Bhaji 1 (Dry Curry )
(When collecting the links for this post I notice that this is 1 of 4 mixed veg bhaji recipes on this website, happy days!)
Chana Masala
Aloo Gobi Mutter (the recipe you mentioned recently Amy.)

I made the Mixed Veg Bhaji with both meals as I loved it so much, using whatever veg I had on hand. A little tricky to do completely without oil as the veg tended to stick to the pan. The second time around I put way too many veggies in the pan and they ended up a little soggy! The Chana Masala was delicious and had lots of sauce/gravy which keeps my husband happy :D I used a new (to me) brand of dried chick peas that I brought back as a souvenir from Spain. They are so good I love them on their own as a snack!

It was my first time making the Aloo Gobi Mutter and I hadn’t noticed that it was a dry-style recipe. As the only other dish was the dry veggies, I tried to make a bit of sauce with some water and tomatoes. Hmmmm, not a total success ! I’ll try making it again and will follow it to the letter! :lol: .

We had some vouchers for a local department store and used them to buy my husband some smaller size clothes. He looks great and I'm hoping it will encourage him to continue with his 'half-vegan' (as he calls it) way of eating :)

Keep on keeping on xx
Suey51

Postby moonlight » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:45 am

Good morning! Happy Friday!

I lost 3.4 lbs. this week. Yay! I'm cooking exclusively from the MWL cookbook.
moonlight

Postby zsilent1 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:33 am

Greetings Group Mates!

Down 1 lb this week.

I feel I’ll be facing some challenges this week. My son in laws father passed and we are going through that. Lots of food around.

Then, there is Thanksgiving coming up. My intention/plan is to stay compliant. Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday.
I’ll be making roasted root veggies, mashed potatoes, garlic green beans, tossed salad and a crustless pumpkin pie. Yes, there will be a turkey that we get every year from our farmer friend. I’m not planning on having any of that. 8)

The one annoying thing I’m not looking forward to are family members who think it’s ok to get in your space regarding what you choose to put in your body. I’m seriously working on growing a thicker skin and consciously gonna try to keep the humor and goodwill in my words, thoughts and deeds. :)

For all of you that celebrate it, Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Susan
zsilent1

Postby galooop » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:30 am

Gained 1.8 LBS

I've been fluctuating up and down over a weight plateau for about 6 weeks now -
it will take some real concentration to get past it.
(I've been allowing myself too many "treats")

On the plus side my yearly blood tests were great!
I went from pre-diabetic into the normal range -

My cholesterol LDL/HDL was very good (it WASN'T good last year) -

Last year, my blood pressure was elevated, but this time, to quote the nurse, it was "awesome"!
very happy with these results!

Huge thank you to Dr. McDougall and everybody have a great week!
:-) Chris
galooop

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program