June 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: June 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

Postby veggies&glitter » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:59 am

Hello! I'm following Mary's Mini while my husband is out of town. I thought it would be a simple way to get started. Less distraction! I've chosen potatoes as my starch, cuz they are my favorite and I made a huge chopped broccoli salad from the MWL book. So far so good, but as I am 2 days in and cutting out daily coffee and alcohol, I am having headaches :-( Other than that, I am taking a daily 2 mile walk in the mornings and drinking plenty of water and some unsweetened Hibiscus tea.

So far I'm down -1.7 pounds!

Glad to have a weigh in accountability group!
veggies&glitter

Postby Svenja » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:04 pm

.... crazy!!!

Just back home from my mom's house.
She is 75 now and slowly reading through the starch solution ... for about the last 8 weeks or so, she is slowly getting the hang of it and started changing her food. She is very active and invited out a lot ... so I'd guess she is following at about 70-80% ... which I am really excited about!!!
Today she casually mentioned .... that she lost 5 kg (11 lbs) :eek:

Fantastic!!! I am very happy for her ... and of course jealous like crazy!!! ;)
03.03.17 = 245 lbs
Svenja

Postby amandamechele » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:09 pm

Svenja - Your spectacular writing fluency in English didn't have it occur to me that it was not your first language. Using a German tracker makes sense...lol. My environmental allergies mostly cleared up too from eating this way. Doesn't it feel awesome to be able to take a deep breath! Good luck this week with exams.

Dee - Every little bit counts! You've got the right attitude about this, slow and steady does indeed win the race in this particular competition. Do what you enjoy and feel is sustainable. I don't love to exercise either and stick to walking mostly just like you. I also hang from a bar in a doorway of my home everyday hoping that eventually I will be able to do a chin up. It hasn't happened yet...lol. Getting the food right is the most important accomplishment. Best wishes this week!

Rick - Congratulations on getting your six month chip! That is a huge accomplishment, and one that I'm sure you had to fight for. I'm glad you're also recommitting to a cleaner diet, it's the best thing you can do for yourself...as I know that you know. You've been here before. This is a life long battle, we can support each other and keep up the good fight. :)

sunflower1 - Yay! Such a nice day for a walk too. XO

veggies&glitter - Sounds like you are using the cold turkey method...cut everything out at once. Good luck this week. The headaches shouldn't last more than a few days and then you are going to feel like a million bucks! Best wishes this week...starting simply is a good way to go. Let us know how it all goes.

Svenja - LOL! Your mom rocks! I'm jealous too!
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:38 pm

Hi Gang,

Thank you for checking in and letting us all know how you're doing.
Welcome to the many new participants. :) Dr. McDougall's monthly newsletter came out this past week and I highly recommend reading through it; each month there is a time relevant feature article and a bunch of delicious recipes to test out. He has all of them archived on the website, here: The McDougall Newsletters.
The topic of this month's feature article was a fortunate stroke of serendipity in my life. While at brunch, on Mother's Day, one of my Aunts (who has been doing her best to eat this way while working abroad) asked me if eating foods high in lectins was a bad idea and whether she should avoid them. I'm always hesitant to answer these kinds of queries because I'm not an expert and would hate to steer anyone in the wrong direction. I told her that I just make sure to cook my beans and grains and don't worry too much about it - as a species we've been eating this way for a long time. She accepted that answer, but I could tell that she would have liked a bit more.
That bit more arrived via email this past week and I happily forwarded it to her. May 2017 Newsletter: Lectins: Plants' Self Defence System Circuitously Kills People.
Ladies of the group, I learned something new and it isn't good news for us. Not only does the gas our gender produces smell a bit worse than men's on average, but now that we are eating this way we are going to produce more of it!!! Ahhhh!
I can't say that I was surprised to read this and my family can attest to its veracity after spending 7 hours in the car with me yesterday. :oops:

This week my family and I are all grateful for good weather and power windows...lol!

PS. Here was my aunt's response to the newsletter:
Thanks Amy- now I know everything I ever wanted to know about farting but was afraid to ask. Have you changed your eating/cooking habits as a result of this article? My response: Nope!

I wish you all the best in the coming week!

Amy XO

Here are the results for the first week in June:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, June 9th, 2017

June 2017 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss reported in 2017: 462.26 pounds
Total group loss in January 2017: 137.25 pounds
Total group loss in February 2017: 102.91 pounds
Total group loss in March 2017: 111.3 pounds
Total group loss in April 2017: 56.1 pounds
Total group loss in May 2017: 41.8 pounds
Total group loss in June 2017: 12.9 pounds

Week ending 06/02/2017: 19 participants reported a total loss of 12.9 pounds

---------------------------------------
Hazelrah - 1.2
Yomom - 1.0
Svenja - 1.0
Total gains: 3.2
Qwerty988 - 2.4
Suey51 - 2.4
Rmartyce - 0.0
BMcCloud - 0.0
Galooop - 2.4
Anne57 - 0.6
Sunflower1 - 0.0
Priss - 0.0
Starbright831 - 0.0
Loralei - 1.9
Veganjenn - 0.0
cambitsgirl - 1.0
LadyM - 0.2
Rickfm - 3.5
Veggies&Glitter - 1.7
amandamechele - 0.0
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 16.1
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in June 2017: 12.9 pounds
Week ending 06/02/2017: 19 participants reported a total loss of 12.9 pounds
amandamechele

Postby Qwerty988 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:44 am

Just wanted to chime in on the cheery subject of gas..... and mention that since I started taking a probiotic every morning, this problem is pretty much gone! I was shocked, but it really worked for me.

(I take this one, if anyone's interested: https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Probiotic-10 ... otics&th=1)
Qwerty988

Postby Yomom » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:18 pm

Amy and Group,
I am reporting my weight for this week early, due to upcoming travel. This morning I was 148 pounds which is a loss of one pound for me.
I will miss the June 16 weigh-in due to travel.
Cheers,
Kathy
Yomom

Postby amandamechele » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:50 pm

Qwerty988 - Thanks for the tip and not cringing at my potty humour. :P

Kathy - Thanks and enjoy your travels. I'll be heading down your way in 2-3 weeks! I'm looking forward to seeing some of Colorado. We're also stopping by Chicago on the way (another spot I've never visited - I'm hoping for a picture with the bronze cow in front of the Chicago Cultural Centre)

Oh and one more thing, for everyone: For tomorrow's webinar Dr Lisle is doing questions and answers. I recall that some of you had questions for him and this may be an easy (and free) way to get them answered:

Dr McDougall's Thursday Webinars: This week Dr Lisle
amandamechele

Postby ANNAUK » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:40 pm

1 pound lost. I know we don't use stone but I just can't help it here in the UK. Sat on my 11 stone my first goal I wanted to pass. Here's to an important week xxxx
ANNAUK

Postby Suey51 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:15 am

Hello everyone.
A loss of 1.2 pounds for me this week :)

Watched Jeff Novick's video on Calorie Desity: How to eat more, weigh less and live longer Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer It's very entertaining, inspiring and really helped me understand the importance of calorie density to weight loss. I'd recommend watching it if you haven't seen it already.

Can't believe it's been 4 weeks since I started MWL, it seems to have gone so quickly. I've never been able to follow a weight loss program for this long! Off to stay with friends in Portugal on Sunday so have had 'the chat' about MWL. Think the main challenge will be eating out in restaurants so I'll be recapping that chapter in the MWL book before I go!

Sadly, I won't be able to weigh-in on June 16th as I won't be within walking distance of my usual scales, but back for the 23rd.

Congrats to all losers and hope everyone has a great weekend x
Suey51

Postby Qwerty988 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:09 am

Happy Friday everyone! :-D

Weighing only every 2 weeks seems to be the sweet spot for me in terms of weight loss and sanity.... so I'm going to be weighing myself every other week for a while.

So, 0 loss for me this week.

Wishing everyone a great week ahead :)
Qwerty988

Postby bmccloud » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:25 am

I'm down .5 pounds this week.

bmccloud

Postby galooop » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:56 am

Gained this week...
up 1.4 lbs

oh well - gotta keep plugging away
:-) Chris
galooop

Postby anne57 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:12 am

Last edited by anne57 on Mon May 06, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anne57

Postby sunflower1 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:59 am

216.2 6/5/17
214.8 6/9/17
Go team!
sunflower1

Postby starbright831 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:28 pm

I'm up .4 lbs this week. Hoping next week will be better.
starbright831

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program