April 2017 McDougall Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: April 2017 McDougall Weigh-In Group

Postby ForestGoddess » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:23 am

Reporting in with a 0 gain/loss. Happy that I have not gained, sad that I continue to plateau. Sigh. I will have success. Time and adherence. Now I just need to get the adherence down. I have been letting way too much junk food into my life. And the worst of it is that it doesn't even taste very good. I hate that. I think it will taste good, it doesn't, I eat it anyway. And that is not really a hunger thing (like I am not starving when I eat junk food, more of a mental want than a physical want). I just don't know why I can't break through these pleasure traps and get to the other side...but I gotta keep moving forward.

Have a good week everyone!
ForestGoddess

Postby kirstykay » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:43 am

I stayed the same this week. It's been a rough couple of weeks in terms of my resolve. I've had different visitors the last three weekends, and I enjoy it. But, I find that when I'm hosting guests I feel less intent on staying on plan and trying to stick to my exercise routine. I make my guests my priority and let myself go. That wouldn't be a huge deal if it happened once in a while, but it was three weeks in a row. The thing about it is that if I asserted my own priorities, my friends and relatives that visit would be more than accommodating. I actually think it's my problem. It's like I use their visits as an excuse to let up on my program. I need to put my health above everything else, at least until I can get my diabetes under control. I have to get this figured out because spring, and summer especially, are when we have many people visiting us. All that to say, I'm glad I haven't gained any weight. But my blood sugar numbers are not in a good place and I need to focus on getting them under control so I don't have to go on meds. My doctor already thinks I am taking Metformin, but I KNOW I can do this without it. I just have to.

Glad to see so many people losing this week! And many others sticking with it and making adjustments to get through plateaus! It's inspiring to me! I love this group. Here's to a new week and renewed resolve!! Happy Easter to those of you who celebrate! Hope everyone has a great week!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby Corky » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:05 am

THank you amandamechele for the links.
Didn't think it was gonna happen but it did!
Down 1 lb.
Corky

Postby Heyjudi » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:23 pm

Congrats! So many posted great losses! I stayed the same but I'm happy because I've been able to apply some good habits this week. It's just tweaking the fine points and discipline! I've done it before and WILL do it again! Glad to be part of this group it's helping me to stay focused and accountable! :-D
Heyjudi

Postby Polly » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:33 pm

Down .4 lb. this week. This takes me into numbers I haven't seen in forever. Small loss but significant because of that. I'm very happy with my food and have managed well when eating out by either eating before or eating what I can find that is compliant. Today it was a green salad with lemon juice. I was surprised it filled me up. If I get hungry before dinner, I'll have a potato :) . My husband joined me in this WOE this week. We'll see if he sticks to it. No complaints so far, but it will ultimately depend on whether he loses weight or not. He's already underweight. He's been eating avocado, nut butter, tofu, etc. to try to avoid losing any.

Love this WOE!!

Polly
Polly

Postby amandamechele » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:07 pm

Kathy - Thank you for letting me know. :) I'll keep you in at a 0 for this week. Enjoy the sabbatical!

Anna - Wooooohoo! I am so pleased for you too. Did you do anything differently this week? Or is this just an example of the cumulative effect of close adherence to the guidelines?

DocHCLFvegan - I'm sorry to hear that your past few weeks have been frustrating. What do you think is going on? Could it be the Pleasure Trap? Or maybe your expectations are not being met? All the best this week.

Qwerty988 - Wow. Salt free looks good on you! :P

Jeannine - I am so excited for you! Congratulations on your "new" mobility and your excellent loss this week!! Your temptation scenario is so similar to my experience and so many other people that I have interacted with. I am so happy that you got through it, that must have been tough and you should be very proud of yourself.
I was just talking about this with my husband the other night because I did slip up recently. :( l had been using willpower all day to get through a tricky food environment (junk food everywhere and me in charge of cleaning up the area after the tornado of kids had rolled on through it). I did get through it... until I was home and everyone was in bed and it was just me and my book and the tension leftover from being challenged all day. That night time eating can be very tricky.

Chelsea - I'm sorry to hear how you're feeling. Mood and motivation, motivation and mood, I personally find it to be a chicken and egg scenario. It's great that you have your mom there for support and girl talk! Sustainable weight loss is a slow process and it's only natural to have your motivation wane, especially if you have a nagging little feeling in the back of your mind saying it should be faster, or occur by a certain date. Please take heart, you are down around 27 pounds in the past 10 months and 13 since joining MWL. So even with a bunch of struggling weeks you are still way ahead! You haven't yo-yo'd back up. That is what I love about eating this way. Even "bad" weeks aren't "bad" weeks like they used to be. So do your best and tread water for awhile if you need to until a new burst of motivation occurs! XO

Loralei - Wonderful news. Best wishes for this coming week.

Chris - I'm surprised and delighted for you too!

ForestGoddess - You've got it! Time and adherence is key. I'm stuck again too, so I feel your pain. That darn Pleasure Trap. What kind of strategies have you been using? You are quite close to your goal, with about 10 more pounds to go, so just keep at it. For me, when in the grips of the craving period, I need a number of days of eating really clean and then the cravings start to fade. For those 3-4 days I eat the whole time, practically. All whole foods, mostly chopped veggies and whole starches like potatoes and oatmeal. A craving comes, I pop some food in my mouth. If I think I want more, in more food goes! If in doubt whether I'm still hungry, well I just eat a bit more food. Just no highly palatable food (even if it's WFPB). I don't lose weight during those few days, but I do lose much of the craving feelings and thus can continue back to a more calorie dilute version once I've got all that back under control. That's one of my strategies. Are you the type of person who will go out and get junk food, even if it's not in the house? (I am - so no judgements here...lol)

kirstykay - I'm happy to hear that even though your losses have stalled, you're not gaining it back. So you are still doing all kinds of things right!
My sister and I have (had) an unspoken pact much like what you are describing with yourself and (unknowingly to them) your guests. Whenever we got together, if one of us doesn't specifically say we are dieting or following such and such a plan it is just assumed that we would be just taking it easy and relaxing our standards in order to enjoy our get together (which can be read as getting take out and lamenting about our weight loss struggles -I'm not saying you specifically do this with your guests...lol). It still trips me up sometimes, because we've had been doing it for so many years. When I'm not stuck in the Pleasure Trap, I am able to stop and decide that I will focus on the get together with her and paying attention to her and not to the potential excitement of off plan food. I have so many years as that being a big reason for enjoying getting together with people...the hyper-palatable food was what I mostly wanted. So, I totally get what you are going through.
You can get this under control! Will you be entertaining this week? Would you ever consider making compliant type food for them, or would they not go for that?

Corky - Congratulations for this week!

Heyjudi - I'm glad to hear that you've had a productive week.You will do it again!

Polly - Yay yay yay! So many things to be happy about this week. I'm glad to hear your husband is joining you for a bit.
amandamechele

Postby amw71 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:33 pm

Hello Everyone!

Today is my first day in the group so 0 for me.

I transitioned to WFPB in August of 2015 & lost 45#. I still have a very long way to go. In the last couple of months I'd gained 10 of the 45 back due to poor choices made in moments of stress/exhaustion.

This past Monday I started following MWL and have lost 4#. (I know that doesn't count towards our numbers here.). I started MWL to jumpstart the weight loss and to kick the cravings for sweets that I've been giving into lately. It's made a huge difference! Minimal variety and fairly bland seems to be key for me.

Looking forward to giving and getting support here and to next week's weigh in. :)
amw71

Postby Svenja » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:06 pm

Good Morning!

0 gain/loss for me this week.

I shifted more towards the low calorie density foods. It's been a challenge ... I don't like vegetables so much. But I like greens ... so I had lots of it! :)

To all those celebrating on Sunday! Happy Easter!

Svenja.
03.03.17 = 245 lbs
Svenja

Postby Heyer » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:30 am

0.1 lbs gain this week ....

My weight seems to stay essentially the same the last couple of weeks - with minor fluctuations. I have to admit it's hard for me to stay motivated if I cannot see any success.

The good news are I started running and exercising again :D
The bad news are I injured my left calf :crybaby:
But it is healing well and probably I can start again on monday.

Have a nice weekend or - if you'll be celebrating - Happy Easter.
Heyer
Heyer

Postby Sloank121 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:19 am

Hello everyone,

This is my first time being here. I just finished a biggest loser contest at my work and lost 24 pounds. I ate mostly vegan meals but still occasionally did dairy. I'm ready to kick dairy for good. I know dairy is keeping me from reaching my end goals. I weigh about 235 pounds and my end goal is 150.

-Kaitlyn
Sloank121

Postby hazelrah » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:46 am

I really thought I drop that bit from last week, but instead I'm up seven tenths (+0.7) It's starting to worry me because I'm doing what normally works for me. I don't want to have to head to True North to break this strange phase. But congratulations to all you losers.

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Postby LadyM » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:05 am

Hello all.

Sorry to say I am up 1 lb. this week. I'm really over the up and down of these 3-5 lbs. This has been going on for 5 months now.

I am going to our local library annex this afternoon. I was very surprised to get an e-mail this week that they are having a discussion about Forks over Knives. Going to check it out and see if there are other folks of like mind in this city. Maybe I can develop some new friendships and spread the word about Dr. McDougall. :nod:

Hope everyone has a great week and if you celebrate, Happy Easter.

Dee
LadyM

Postby Chelspaz » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:06 am

amandamechele wrote:Chelsea - I'm sorry to hear how you're feeling. Mood and motivation, motivation and mood, I personally find it to be a chicken and egg scenario. It's great that you have your mom there for support and girl talk! Sustainable weight loss is a slow process and it's only natural to have your motivation wane, especially if you have a nagging little feeling in the back of your mind saying it should be faster, or occur by a certain date. Please take heart, you are down around 27 pounds in the past 10 months and 13 since joining MWL. So even with a bunch of struggling weeks you are still way ahead! You haven't yo-yo'd back up. That is what I love about eating this way. Even "bad" weeks aren't "bad" weeks like they used to be. So do your best and tread water for awhile if you need to until a new burst of motivation occurs! XO

That is definitely what I love about eating this way too! That I'm not gaining any more and not feeling like I'm TOTALLY back tracking lol. It definitely helps kick the motivation back up realizing that hey, I'm still where I left off and it's time to start back up again! I've been feeling better since making my last post and will be meal planning for the week once I post this. Here's to another week!

Also, thank you for such an encouraging response. You are a gem, Amanda. :-D
Chelspaz

Postby bmccloud » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:23 am

Down one pound.
bmccloud

Postby Lizzy_F » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:44 am

Hi everyone! I thought I made a weigh-in post last night but today I don't see it. I have more to share and also some questions that I could use some help on, but I will need to come back later to re-type all that. Mean time...

I am down 5 pounds this week. Obviously, a big water adjustment! I am hoping to stay the course and not bounce back up next week.

More later...

Thank you everyone for being here!
Beth

"Long-term sustainable change is what we are really after." ~Jeff Novick
Lizzy_F

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program