Soy Milk?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Soy Milk?

Postby janetc » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:41 am

I've decided to go ahead and start the regular McDougall program because I have so much soymilk! So, breakfast was:

Wheat Bran Chex (only thing in the ingredients was BHT added for freshness?)
Cup of black coffee (I am weaning myself from coffee in order to avoid the horrible withdrawal headache!!)

That's it so far. I've got Fantastic Foods Jumping Black Beans & Rice for lunch, along with a salad with Kraft Free Italian dressing (It's fat-free, but it does state that it has 2% or less soybean oil along with other herbs and spices - is this okay?) and baby carrots

Snacks - Lightly salted rice cakes (those ARE in the book!) and club soda, no sodium that I can see.

Look good? Any critiques/suggestions would be welcome!

Yes, I'm starting today :( Weekend was horribly bad because I didn't eat enough last week - I know better than to do that this week (I hope!)
janetc

Postby PKM » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:26 pm

Hi Janetc,

I’m certainly not an expert here, but the suggestions I could make is to avoid ‘packaged’ stuff.

The more you can get the processed stuff out the healthier you will be. I admire your quest to get the coffee out of your life; I’ve decided to keep it, LOL.

To get meal ideas, look for the posts “What’s cooking”. It will give you ideas on what everyone else is eating.
PKM

Postby janetc » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:09 am

Ideally, that's what I would like to do, too. My lifestyle is such that I work long hours days and sometimes even on Saturdays. My husband and I talked about making Sunday a "cooking day" where we cook foods to lunch on for the workweek.

Do any of you have the cookbook with meals prepared in 15 minutes or less? Maybe that is what I should try.
janetc

Postby PKM » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:12 am

Yep! The McDougall Quick & Easy Cookbook. There is over 300 recipes you can cook in 15 minutes or less....(love, love, love it)
PKM

Re: Soy Milk?

Postby Nettie » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:55 am

janetc wrote:Look good? Any critiques/suggestions would be welcome!

In addition to the suggestion to avoid packaged goods, I would also try to get some green veggies like kale/collards/turnip greens or broccoli, cabbage, etc. They're full of phytochemicals and nutrients for good health, plus they add bulk and satiety. Also, some fruit. And potatoes or some other starch. With the food plan you've outlined, you're going to be hungry, which is something you want to avoid because it can lead to cheating. And hunger is so unnecessary on McDougall.

Press on!

Nettie
Nettie

Postby janetc » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:29 am

You are completely correct, Nettie, because I was hungry!

I like broccoli, but the other stuff scares me. I like spinach but cooked, it looks kind of slimy - is that the case?

Plus, I have no idea how to make my veggies flavorful! I'm not good at seasoning - it's usually horribly overseasoned.

I've got a bunch of spinach in my fridge right now, and I'd love to make a lovely soup of some kind - any ideas?
janetc

Postby Faith in DC » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:19 pm

oh heck spinach in any broth is good. Maybe with some bambo shoots and waterchest nuts a splash of soy sauce. if you have some miso that too would make a good soup for spinach.

On the bitter greens, I usually cook in liquid smoke, and I cook them to death, I search with hot peppers on top and red wine vinegar.

garlic goes good in cauliflower. keep playing and use vinegars.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program