March 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: March 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

Postby anne57 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:28 pm

Last edited by anne57 on Mon May 06, 2019 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anne57

Postby donaldpetemc » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:09 pm

Loss for this week: 0. (I'm only weighing monthly.)
Anne

donaldpetemc

Postby Polly » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:54 pm

So pleased with myself. I called the restaurant ahead and they told me there was butter in everything; they couldn't cook without it. So I had a nice bowl of oatmeal and blueberries and cherries and was satisfied before I went. At dinner I had a cup of tea. I also told my friends they weren't to feel sorry we were at a restaurant where I couldn't eat, that I was there to enjoy their company and had already eaten. They were dubious at first and inclined to feel guilty, but I told them they couldn't do that. Me in my bossy mode. I think I got through to them :-D
Polly
Polly

Postby hazelrah » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:58 pm

The scoop is I was laid off 10 months ago and I stared a new job for teh first tim since on Monday. It is screwing with my schedule and my daily weight fluctuations are probably off, I ran Thursday night and eliminated Friday AM before the weighin ( I know, TMI). Anyway I am down 5.3 pounds(-5.3). Don't know if it will last through next week, but it should give some inspiration to stay strong. I'm still not at pre holiday weight. But anyway,

Congratulations to all US losers!

Have a great week!

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Postby amandamechele » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:44 am

Svenja - Congratulations on a good first week. It's extra impressive that you have been able to manage such a big dietary change while going through another big change. Best wishes this coming week.

Jess - I struggle with similar behaviour and have found that the longer I eat this way, the less often it occurs. But, it still occurs. Maybe you are just getting used to the change in eating patterns. I honestly think you did great keeping it to healthy choices. Dr. Lisle and Goldhamer's book, The Pleasure Trap, was very helpful to me. Have you read it? I sometimes use a quick fast to get back on track. Others have found that it can lead to becoming too hungry and then going off plan. You know yourself best, what do you think may happen? As for the slight gain this week, maybe give it at least another week.

Cebo - Best wishes this week. Please continue to ask any questions that you have. :) I hope you see some improvement in your health, with some weight loss as a happy fringe benefit!

Qwerty988 - Happy Birthday to you! What a great present to yourself! Don't sweat the gain this week, but I understand why you feel disappointed - that darn scale! Just picture building bigger muscles with all the extra time you now have from not having to measure your food. :)

Steve - Great loss this week! Definitely take it, and be proud of yourself.

Landog - I love your calorie density chart! It can be difficult to have tempting items in the house, even healthy ones. It's good you have a strategy. This can be a tricky situation (at least I find it to be). At least one expert says the number one item to successfully navigating eating this way in the long term is to control your environment (and what enters it). But many of us share a space with our loved ones who do not eat this way, making that a big challenge. For me, this comes down to compromise. There are certain things my husband knows that I cannot have in the house at all and others things that could potentially lead to trouble if I have fallen into the pleasure trap, but we keep in the house because, in my opinion, it would be unreasonable for me to request otherwise at this point in time. This is an issue I am still working on too. I'm so glad you are celebrating the good choices! 165 - Awesome!

Chris - Yay! Wonderful effort this week.

Kathy - That is key, time and adherence. Best wishes for the coming week!

BMcCloud - LOL! You navigated travelling quite well. Such a big loss this week, fantastic! I went out for dinner tonight and had a similar experience, the server could just not quite comprehend that I didn't want anything on my potato. She must have offered me sour cream, like, 3 times. I wish we had more restaurants with salad bars in my area, that would also be fantastic.

Loralei - Congratulations! Your steady progress is so inspiring.

Dave - I had to read back to find that typo... good eye. Very pun-y!

Glenn - Not gaining anything while travelling is a good week in my books! Best wishes for the coming week of travels.

Kelly - Good luck this coming weekend, let us know how your first race of the season goes. How exciting! With regards to the weight roller coaster, it is frustrating, so very frustrating. If I'm honest, I don't think weight management will ever truly be off the radar for some of us. The National Weight Control Registry, the largest investigation of longer-term weight management shows that those who keep off the weight they have lost continue to put a good amount of effort into it, in a variety of ways. As for stability, I DO think that this is possible. Like Kathy mentioned above, that comes with time and adherence.
Thank you for the great summary of Mary's presentation. You are so right about finding new insight from reviewing the information available on this website. I am constantly being surprised by what new thing I learn from old material.

My apologies to everyone who has posted today that I haven't had a chance to acknowledge. We will chat tomorrow (or more correctly, later today) I must get to bed, it's waaaaaay past my bedtime. G'night!
amandamechele

Postby Heyer » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:32 am

0.6 pounds down. I hoped it would be more :D My clothes start to fit nicely :) I am feeling great.
Heyer

Postby Chelspaz » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:52 am

From 191 to 189.4! Lost 1.6 lbs and broke into the 180's! Yesss!
Chelspaz

Postby Jeepsterhound » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:08 am

I did weekly weigh ins last year and it helped me get to goal. I have had some struggles lately, so I'm rejoining so I can get back to where I want to be. I am off to a good start. :)
This week I lost 2 pounds.
Jeepsterhound

Postby Trudy K » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:55 am

I only lost .8 of a pound this week! I am disappointed in myself. I did well other than the mini cupcakes someone put on the staffrrom table! I also love popcorn as a snack, does anyone have a good alternative to melted margarine in it? I think that was my culprit to more weight loss as I had it the night before my weigh in. Thanks for the support!
Trudy K

Postby Dave Dardinger » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:29 am

Not a good two weeks since I last reported. I went up from 172.2 to 173.8 or a 1.6 increase. On the bright side, I have a higher starting point this week so a much better chance to lose!
I'm just here for the food.

Dave Dardinger

Postby JeffN » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:50 am

Congratulations to all.

It is good to see how well these weigh-ins have been going and how good this group is doing.

I noticed that sometimes a new user or someone new to the weigh-ins may join the thread later in the month and may not have seen the original post and not see the guidelines for the MWL. Therefore, I will repost here.

If anyone has any questions on them (or anything related to the McDougall program), just ask. :)

In Health
Jeff

A reminder of the basics from the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Book. All of these points are discussed in more detail in the book.

Below are some links with more information about calorie density and the starvation mode myth and what McDougalling really is.

Program outlined in the MWL book, page 60.
1. Eliminate All Animal Foods
2. Eliminate All Oils
3. Eliminate All High Fat Plant Foods: Nuts, Nut Butters, Seeds, Seed Butters, Avocados, Coconut, & Olives.
4. Eliminate All Flour Products
5. Eat Whole Grains and Potatoes
6. Eat Legumes
7. Make Green & Yellow Vegetables One-Half to One-Third of your meal
8. Eat Uncooked Foods
9. Restrict Fresh Fruit to No More Than Two Servings a Day, and Avoid Dried Fruit, Fruit Puree, and Fruit Juice
10. Use Simple Sugar Sparingly

Guidelines for Healthy Eating in MWL book, page 67.
1. Eat until you’re satisfied
2. Graze
3. Allow time for digestion
4. Chew foods thoroughly
5. Restrict variety

Weight-Losing Reasons To Exercise. MWL book, page 100.
1. Exercise burns calories
2. Calories continue to burn after exercise
3. Exercise counteracts plateaus
4. Exercise suppresses appetite
5. Exercise reduces insulin
6. Exercise protects and increases muscle mass

Exercise you can live with. MWL book, page 106-107

Aerobics: The best kind of exercise. Walking, running, cycling, & swimming are not only enjoyable but highly efficient ways to lose weight.

Benefits of weight training:
Build a stronger body
Build a shapelier body
Strengthen ligaments
Improve bone density
Help prevent musculoskeletal injury
Elevate metabolism
Increase stamina
Elevate blood levels of HDL cholesterol

Your New Daily Exercise Plan: MWL Book Page 109
1. Get up half an hour earlier each day, or skip a TV program to do a specific exercise.
2. Make exercise a part of each day.
3. Choose an activity that you have always enjoyed and do it at least four times per week.
4. Sometimes purchasing equipment helps to motivate…
5. Invest in a membership in a YMCA, YWCA, or health and fitness club
6. Ask a friend to become your exercise partner
7. Go dancing, a great aerobic (and romantic) exercise
8. Join a walking or hiking club.
9. Check with your local adult-education program for exercise programs.
10. Keep an exercise journal.

Establishing a healthy way of life from page 127 of the MWL book.
Step 1. Be Goal-Oriented
Step 2. Acknowledge Your Willingness to Pay the Price
Step 3. Educate Yourself, Become an Expert
Step 4. Visualize Yourself as Healthy
Step 5. Make a Commitment: It’s Magic
Step 6. Ensure That Your Environment Supports Your Goals
Step 7. Alter Your Coping Mechanisms
Step 8. Join A Support Group
Step 9. Reward Yourself
Step 10. Keep It Simple

About set-points
http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl/ ... ushing.htm

Calorie density
http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewt ... 322#p41322

Can You Really Eat As Much As You Want?
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27333

Starvation mode
http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewt ... 22&t=17541

My favorite all time post about what McDougalling really is:

Its starch based not veggie based
http://drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic ... 249#p57249

Mary's Mini McDougall Diet
http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/june/marys.htm
http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/july/marys2.htm

JeffN

Postby Yomom » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:23 am

Trudy K wrote:I only lost .8 of a pound this week! I am disappointed in myself. I did well other than the mini cupcakes someone put on the staffrrom table! I also love popcorn as a snack, does anyone have a good alternative to melted margarine in it? I think that was my culprit to more weight loss as I had it the night before my weigh in. Thanks for the support!

Hi Trudy K. Note that for the MWL (Maximum Weight Loss) Program, and for the regular McDougall Program, the guidelines state to avoid all oils.
Jeff Novick just reposted the guidelines (above) for all of us to remind ourselves of these tools for success.
Good luck this week to everybody!
Kathy
Yomom

Postby amandamechele » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:32 am

Polly - Woo hoo! You've made some very positive changes this week. I'm glad giving up the soda wasn't as difficult as expected. Way to go with regards to the restaurant! Calling ahead and pre-eating are very important strategies to managing eating out and social situations. It sounds like you did it with enough grace to put your friends at ease while not compromising your intentions. I'll just say Way toGo! one more time...lol...

Veganjenn - Welcome and we're glad you can join us too! Best wishes this week.

HappyGardener - I agree, it is such a great talk. Did you see it via this week's webinar? I almost missed it because of the time change, but thankfully happened to look up from the task I was working on to realize it was about to start. For any of you who haven't seen it, here is a link to The Perfect Personality. He discusses which different factors in our personalities can potentially cause difficulties in adopting and maintaining this type of lifestyle change using his classic dry wit and outrageous art. :) Your experience resonates with me, I similarly gained a great deal of insight on human behaviour in general and self awareness by following his work and reading some of his book recommendations. I was so happy to (mostly) leave behind the thoughts that something was wrong with me for continually failing to "solve" this weight problem while constantly putting in what felt like a whole lot of effort. Who wouldn't feel like they were failing in that scenario. Anyone who feels this way, please explore his website Esteem Dynamics. HG - I'm so glad you are feeling good about this! Best wishes this week.

Chris - Yes! We can all inspire each other.

Anne (anne57) - :) Wow, such a great loss this week, congrats! I'm sorry I have no suggestions for commercial gluten free bread (as Landog mentioned it isn't a part of MWL so I haven't dedicated that much time to looking for any). Do you have a bread maker? Would you be willing or have the time to make it for your family? There are many free recipes on a variety of blogs and websites.

Robert - I'm so glad you're making progress towards your goals. Best wishes to you too this week!

Anne (donaldpetemc) - :) Best wishes this week!

Mark - Congratulations on the weight loss and starting a new job! I hope your transition back to a work schedule goes smoothly and you enjoy the people you work with.

Heyer - I'm glad you are feeling great and your clothes are fitting better. More will come! :)

Chelsea - Yessss! New decade dance!

Jeepsterhound - Welcome and I hope we can help you get back on track. Good loss this week, you are off to a great start!

Dave - That's the spirit, don't sweat it and next week's losses will feel that much sweeter. Ha!

Trudy K - Try not to be disappointed, you've made some progress this week, as your weight loss indicates. Yahoo! Now you'll just have to do a bit of tweaking to get the results you were hoping for. Many people like to put nutritional yeast on their popcorn, however, it is fairly calorie dense (the popcorn - and usually has a lot of salt), so it may be working against you a bit in the weight loss department. I tend to snack on chopped veggies or fruit, sparkling water or tea. Sometimes I even munch on chickpeas with a squeeze of lime or sriracha (if the fruit/veg just won't cut it)...oooh another favourite is precooked baby potatoes - plain or with yellow mustard. Yum!
Last edited by amandamechele on Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:34 am

JeffN wrote:Congratulations to all.

It is good to see how well these weigh-ins have been going and how good this group is doing.

I noticed that sometimes a new user or someone new to the weigh-ins may join the thread later in the month and may not have seen the original post and not see the guidelines for the MWL. Therefore, I will repost here.

If anyone has any questions on them (or anything related to the McDougall program), just ask. :)

In Health
Jeff

Thank you Jeff!
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:47 am

What did the sweet potato say to the potato?

I think therefore I yam!

I know, I know, I won't quit my day job...lol
amandamechele

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program