February 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: February 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

Postby Bernadette.S » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:51 pm

Down -1.5 pounds this week

I had 3 days in a row with non-compliant meals, one each day.

Back on track today, still heading the right direction :)
Bernadette.S

Postby gingee » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:13 pm

0 pounds lost but has only been 3 days. does anyone else miss the crunch factor? just wondering if that desire goes away?
gingee

Postby lkjuhl » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:45 pm

It's Friday and I am weighing in at 185. I just joined this weigh in group today and am hoping with all of your wonderful influence, the month of February will be on of success for me!!
lkjuhl

Postby landog » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:19 pm

ldoldha wrote:I'm really struggling understanding the no sugar statement. I keep a food diary to make sure I'm getting enough calories (due to weight loss surgery many moons ago) and this diary has me limited on 24 grams a day. I don't add sugar, but obviously there are natural sugars in fruits and some veggies. Im finding that I exceed those 24 grams.
For example, the other night I cooked red cabbage, roasted cauliflower, brussel sprouts, cooked carrots, tomatoes and cucumbers and I was at 16 grams. With the added banana for breakfast, I was over the 24 grams. My goal is to lose weight. If it's natural sugar, should I not be concerned? I only eat 1 fruit a day because I'm so confused about the no sugar. Help! I've been very compliant since 12/26/16 and have dropped 22 pounds.

You should use added sugar sparingly, if at all. This does not refer to sugars present in whole foods.
Congratulations on your success! You are making great progress with your goal!

Be well,
-dog
landog

Postby amandamechele » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:05 pm

I'm thrilled to hear from so many people joining in for the first time and all of our returning members! This is going to be a fantastic month. :D

I'll have a bit more time tomorrow evening to say hi to everyone, tally up how we did, and see if there are any questions.
If you haven't yet weighed in, we want to hear from you! It's not too late to join in. Tell us a bit about yourself, join in on a conversation and be prepared to feel great.

Now I must get back to my cards - the table isn't too happy with me. ;)

Amy
amandamechele

Postby Nurse_Kim » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:08 pm

No weight change this week. Changed up our workout so maybe next week I'll see some results.
Nurse_Kim

Postby Heyer » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:48 am

Hello,

is it still possible to join this weigh in group? I've been on a plant based diet for almost 3 yrs now. Recently I've gained weight and want to come "back on track".

Heyer (no weight loss this week)
Heyer

Postby Chelspaz » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:13 am

Lost .4 lbs this week which brings me to 198 even. Not too bad considering I didnt have the smoothest of weeks staying compliant.
Chelspaz

Postby Adelaidelady » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:14 pm

Hi there,
I am also new to this forum and sorry if I'm posting in the wrong spot! My starting weight is 64 kgs which is 141.1 pounds. My goal weight is 119 pounds. I have been a lax-ovo vegetarian since a child and the last two years I have transitioned to vegan. I have slowly gained weight and find I am eating for three! That means when my children don't finish their food I eat it because I hate wasting food. I am also addicted to chocolate (I buy vegan and dark). I gave up coffee last year and switched to soy milk turmeric lattes. I also enjoy soy chocolate ice cream. My weight is getting in the way of my aspirations to be a personal trainer in a gym. I am fit woman and train in martial arts, bike ride most days and go to the gym but my body fat is high. My wardrobe is organised in sizes rather than colours or style. I can shift from size 8 (AUS) to a size 16 (Aus) and currently Im in the top bracket. Its awful. I exercise, eat mostly healthy food but I do use olive oil, coconut oil, and eat lots of nuts! This journey is going to be a challenge for me in terms of changing my habits. Today was a not so bad start. I had oats, rye, rice and amaranth, chia with sprilina for breakfast. Except... I ended up putting a tea spoon of black strap molasses on it. I am hoping if this is the wrong spot to post this you could point me in the right direction as I would like some support to change my ways and encourage others to do the same.
Adelaidelady

Postby amandamechele » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:15 pm

Qwerty988 - That's an awesome success for just 4 days, and a non-scale victory to boot!

Landog - Thank you. Wow, Unprocessed February is progressing spectacularly so far. Did you have to make many changes or just tweaks to your calorie density level? You've been a McDougaller for quite some time. Thank you for all of your wonderful input.

Vee - I'm doing a happy dance for you too. You've had the biggest loss this week, congratulations! I'm happy to hear you've added some exercise. With regards to night time snacking, I know how hard it must have felt that night. But you did it and I bet you felt so lovely and light in the morning. It is always a goal of mine to not eat after 7pm as well.

BMcCloud - Best wishes for next week. :)

RoadRunner - Welcome! Don't panic!!! Lol... we've got your back. Are you easing into it or did you start following the guidelines in earnest? How do you feel about the changes you've made?

Kathy - Yay! You are on a roll. Thank you for the book recommendation, it sounds very interesting, I'll put it on Mike's list of books to pick up for me. I just received the new Elizabeth Blackburn book today. I'm so psyched to read it after I finish the current book I'm reading.

GlennR - Great loss this week. Hopefully as each week passes that anxiety will lessen as you begin to trust that your satiety mechanism is working just fine when it's given the correct, whole, foods. The weight will come off, it just may take some time. Alright, I'll stop pretending to be Dr. Lisle. Focusing on your actions really worked. :)

DavidLewis - We're happy to have you join us. If you haven't already, take a look at all of the offerings on this website. The discussion forum provides a support connection with people eating this way in real time. But there are also years and years worth of educational and support material in the other sections of the website. My favourite section, other than the discussion boards, is the Education tab at the top left of your screen. One could get lost for days and weeks in those pages.

Fancyfinch - Fantastic loss this week. I'm so glad you were able to figure out what was causing your discomfort.

Wgroscost - You continue to inspire me (us all) with your sure and steady approach to this. Best wishes for the coming week.

Idoldha - Hi and welcome! Wonderful job so far. Keeping a food diary is such a great strategy to help with meeting long term weight loss goals. With regards to your sugar intake, Landog is correct, no need to stress over this. The MWL guidelines suggest up to 2 fruits a day. Here are a few articles that Dr. McDougall has written or shared on the topic of sugar:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/health-science/hot-topics/nutrition-topics/carbohydrates-sugar/

Krobbins936 - This must be so frustrating. Are you willing to share more details (we can do this in a private message as well)? Such as height, do you do any exercise, what kinds of things you are eating each day?

rresn50 - You are steadily heading towards your goal, congrats! It can be difficult to make good choices when out, I understand because I eat out a lot. Dr. McDougall recommends minimizing this, if possible. I tend to order plain items (no sauces or oils). It took me a long time to be okay with paying the same (or more) for plain starches, veggies and fruit at a restaurant - but now I find it very worth it - I enjoy meeting with friends socially, without having to cook and being slimmer, so no more begrudging my plainer food for higher costs. Most people let me choose where we eat now. Have fun at your dinner party. Are you hosting? Do you have a menu planned?.

Mark - I'm glad you had such a great birthday week. I bet you will have a resurgence this week.

KirstyKay - Yay! Great loss this week.

Karen Lea - Wonderful loss. I used half of your loss for the 2 weeks for this week's tally. Is that alright? What brought you to our boards?

Hi Sirdle!!

Calisac - Best wishes this week. Let us know if you have any questions. :)

Waterfit - Woot woot! Great loss this week. Keep up the great effort.

Loralie - I'm glad you checked in this week. :) Best wishes for the coming week.

Robert - I hope your Saturday was just as fine as your Friday.

Bernadette.S - I'm happy things worked out for the best this week, and glad you were able to get back on track so quickly. That can be tricky for some of us, so kudos to you!

Gingee - I tend to crunch of raw veggies and fruit when I feel like nighttime crunchy snacks (I also try not to eat after 7, but some nights that just doesn't happen). I keep them precut in the fridge. Ooh, I also love to make Jeff Novick's baked fries, they can be quite crunchy if you bake them long enough. If you don't have weight to lose and are eating the regular McDougall program there are more choices for conventional-type crunchy snacks (that are also higher in calorie density).
Here is a link to a recipe for Jeff's famous fries:
https://www.facebook.com/JeffNovickRD/posts/113785028668414

Ikjuhl - Welcome! I agree, February will be a great success for you. Best wishes this week. Let us know if you have any questions.

Nurse_Kim - What kind of changes did you make to your workout? Do you enjoy it?

Heyer - Welcome! Yes, we're glad to have you here. Let us know if you have any questions. This website has so much information, be sure to take a look around.

Chelsea - Not too bad at all. :) You are sticking to it the best you can. Is anything particular tripping you up?

Adelaidelady - Welcome! You are in the right spot for the Maximum Weight Loss Version of the McDougall Plan; and we'd be happy to be your support.
https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26620#p265094
Above is a link to the guidelines.
If you follow them closely you can reach your goal relatively swiftly. For some people this means reading the guidelines, cleaning out their kitchen pantry and fridge, restocking with on-plan food and never looking back. For others, like me, it has been a more gradual process. Some will eliminate one item at a time until they are on plan over the course of many months. Some are constantly battling with themselves to keep to the plan. My personal experience is that it is much easier to eliminate all non-compliant, and over-stimulating foods (some which are healthy foods but tough to limit like nuts) and just suffer through missing them for a short time. Dr. Lisle, the psychologist for this program, has a number of talks that discuss how best to get through this period. Here is one that I really like called The Slow Fast Way (the webinar):
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/webinars/webinar-01-14-16/
Best wishes this week, let us know if we can help in any way.
amandamechele

Postby landog » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:36 pm

amandamechele - I have seen Dr. Ornish speak a couple of times, in his talks he mentioned a study indicating that a healthy lifestyle can increase telemere length.

Let us know what you find out in the book!

Thanks,
-dog
landog

Postby amandamechele » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:41 pm

Hi (Again) Everyone,

Alright... the numbers are in ...and we did really well! Fist-pump-in-the-air well. :-P Next week should be interesting because we have a whole bunch of new members just starting out.

Below I have posted a few recent meals that I have made. I wanted to show you all how I eat a McDougall diet. I'm curious to know how each of you are doing. What does a lunch or dinner look like at your house? (No need to post a picture, a description will do just fine if you wish to join in on the conversation)

ImageImage
ImageImage

I say best wishes a lot (and I mean it), but this week I wish you best effort!

Amy :)

Here are the results for the first week in February:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, February 10th, 2017

February 2017 Weight Loss Group :: Weekly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss reported in 2017: 167.6 pounds
Total group loss in January 2017: 137.25 pounds
Total group loss in February 2017: 30.35 pounds
Week ending 02/03/2017: 30 participants reported a total loss of 30.35 pounds

---------------------------------------------
Hazelrah - 1.7
Loralei - 0.2
Audmor - 2.0
Total gains = 3.9
Qwerty988 - 0.6
Landog - 3.0
Stillcrazy - 5.6
BMcCloud - 0.0
RoadRunner - 0.0
Yomom - 2.0
GlennR - 2.5
DavidLewis - 0.0
Fancyfinch - 2.0
Wgroscost - 3.0
Idoldha - 4.4 (weekly average of your total)
Krobbins936 - 0.0
Rresn50 - 0.5
KirstyKay - 3.0
Karen Lea - 2.05 (weekly average of your total)
Calisac - 0.0
Waterfit - 2.5
Plant_eater - 1.2
Bernadette.S - 1.5
Gingee - 0.0
Ikjuhl - 0.0
Nurse_Kim - 0.0
Heyer - 0.0
Chelspaz - 0.4
Adelaidelady - 0.0
Amandamechele - 0.0
Donaldpetemc - 0.0
Total losses = 34.25

Total group loss in February 2017: 30.35 pounds
Week ending 02/03/2017: 30 participants reported a total loss of 30.35 pounds

Edited to add 2 participants.
Last edited by amandamechele on Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amandamechele

Postby Chelspaz » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:01 am

amandamechele wrote:Chelsea - Not too bad at all. :) You are sticking to it the best you can. Is anything particular tripping you up?

It's mostly my cravings I guess, and I feel hungry a little bit more. While at work, I'm having a hard time figuring out what to snack on. I was snacking on carrots for the mid-morning and air popped popcorn for the mid-afternoon, but got tired of carrots pretty quick and learned that air-popped popcorn wasn't the best snack choice for this program.

I also have a bad habit of craving sweets at night after dinner. I haven't been gorging to satiate these cravings or anything, but they're still a nuisance.

Also, on the weekends I still get pretty stressed trying to meal plan and make sure I have recipes that will satisfy me and will also provide me food for lunches while at work. I'm not someone who enjoys planning and preparing my food, but I sure do love to eat it! Lol

Overall, the way I'm eating now is definitely a whole lot different than how I've been eating, and that is something!
Chelspaz

Postby Sherrylynn » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:59 am

I just joined this group. I hope I am posting in right area. I ate excellent yesterday and yet I gained almost 2 pounds yikes...but I am continuing today! I even shovelled the driveway and sidewalks for 2 hours. I have never done that before! Iave soup ready and bought ingredients to make more meals. I am excited to be part of this group :-D
Sherrylynn

Postby Starchyme » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:32 am

Just starting today. Weighed in at 119 lbs. Need to get down to 110. Will be going away in a couple of weeks. Will report my stats before I go and back 3/10 for the full tally. Wishing all great success!
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program