January 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: January 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

Postby plant_eater » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:38 pm

amandamechele wrote:Plant_Eater - Are you training for something in particular right now?

My first goal, for this year is to lose my last 10 "overweight" pounds.

Highest Weight: 237 lbs
Current Weight: 140 lbs
Goal 1: BMI 24.9: 129.5 lbs
Goal 2: 115 lbs

Here is what I ate for lunch today:

Why yes, I am training for something in particular :-)

Ironman 70.3 St George Utah. That is a half distance of 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, and 13.1 mile run. I am hoping to crack 6 hours. The St George race is considered on of the hardest of the North American 70.3 circuit, so honestly if I finish I will be happy.

Congrats on your weight loss so far and your goals will be easily attainable if you keep eating such wonderful lunches such as you just posted. That look amazingly delicious :)

Also thanks for taking on as group leader here, I think its impressive that you note everyone who is involved and tally up all the weight losses, etc... I know I appreciate it :-D

Cheers

PS: Got in a nice 7.5 mile run today ;) Also going to have to start a flicker account so I can share all my cool pictures of my food and activities.
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby anne57 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:22 am

Last edited by anne57 on Mon May 06, 2019 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
anne57

Postby Wgroscost » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:27 pm

I know my post is late but I weighed in at 319lbs on 1/1 and 312lbs on 1/7. Since I attended the immersion course on 10/22 I have lost a total of 61lbs (weighed 373.3 at the initial weigh-in). Loving this new lifestyle change!
Wgroscost

Postby Bernadette.S » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:50 pm

Hi all, can I get some ideas for breakfast please. I'm traditionally a very big bread eater. Thanks
Bernadette.S

Postby amandamechele » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:11 pm

Chelsea - I'm coming over for dinner! You're very well prepared for the week. I'd love to hear how the veggie risotto turns out. I really like the Mexican lasagna too, and if you omit the olives, it's MWL compliant.
Here is an interesting link (for everyone here) from the January 2005 Newsletter called Pushing your Setpoint to the Limits, The McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl/050100pupushing.htm
It describes the comparison between the Regular McDougall Program and the MWL program. ( I am bringing it up, specifically, because Dr McDougall mentions why he allows whole corn tortillas in the MWL program)

plant_eater - (Can I call you Robert?) - How long until the competition? Have you ever done this type of race before? Please do set up a flicker account. I love seeing photos of everyone's food (and I tend to assume everyone else here does too - my friends on Facebook, however, not so much...lol)

Anne - Thank you :o . Having food prepared ahead of time is a key strategy to success on this program. How do you like to prepare your winter squash? I'm still looking for that elusive recipe that converts me into a squash eater.

Wgrocost - Shhh! Don't tell anyone, I went in and edited you into the weekly weigh in. How could I not? You had an amazing week with a 7 pound loss. :P

Bernadette - I'll list a few things that I tend to eat, if anyone else has any ideas, please share! When I do eat breakfast, I tend to eat oatmeal.
Ideas: Oatmeal, other whole grain cooked cereals, hashbrown potatoes (with onion, corn, spinach, anything really), fruit, brown rice congee (rice "gruel" with ginger, green onions, a little dulse or kombu for flavour), dinner leftovers
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:16 pm

I really like the link I shared above from the January 2005 McDougall Newletter called Pushing Your Setpoint to the Limits, The MCDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss.

I thought it should have its own post, so it would not be missed.
amandamechele

Postby plant_eater » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:07 pm

Bernadette.S wrote:Hi all, can I get some ideas for breakfast please. I'm traditionally a very big bread eater. Thanks

Depending on my energy needs I typically am a big fruit eater in the morning. Mac a couple of bananas waiting for coffee to brew, or tea. I like a big fat grapefruit to get me powered up for a morning run.

If its a work day I will dice up a potato or two, pour a splash of apple cider vinegar on those bad boys, wrap em up in saran wrap and toss in the micro for a steamy 3-4 minute nuking. While those are getting hot and moist, I will strain and rinse out a can of beans, ( I typically use red beans, garbanzo, or black beans), then I chop and dice up some sweet onion and jalapeno. About this time the taters are hot and ready. I pull em out hot and ready for action, I would put a little vegan butter on there, but since its weight loss time I have ditched the butter.

Ok put half the beans away for later, dump the other half on the taters, dump on the onions and jalapenos, now mix those up together, then add in any spices you might like, mix it up. Now I cut up some tomatoes and an herb such as cilantro or parsley. I would also put on 1/2 an avocado, but again, weight loss time so I have cut out the avocados.

Since we are in the weight loss thread, keep in mind a potato is approx 110 calories each. beans are typically 120 calories per serving and each can will have around 3 servings per can. So 2 potatoes, and half a can of beans can add up to about 400 calories, now add in avocado and you are throwing down another 100 calories. Just something to keep in mind.

For me I have a 1 hour drive to work, I typically am on my feet all day at work and workout about 3-4 times per week. So your mileage will vary.

PS: I would recommend dropping bread from your diet entirely until you reach your weight goals. I know whenever I try to introduce bread back into my life I start putting on weight. With bread comes the butter, peanut butter, jelly, cream cheese, etc, all very high in fat content.

Cheers :-)
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby plant_eater » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:21 pm

amandamechele wrote:
plant_eater - (Can I call you Robert?) - How long until the competition? Have you ever done this type of race before? Please do set up a flicker account. I love seeing photos of everyone's food (and I tend to assume everyone else here does too - my friends on Facebook, however, not so much...lol)

Amanda, of course you can call me Robert :-)

My half Ironman is May 6th, 4 months out from now. Yes I have done about 4 Triathlons now, none at this much longer distance. 2015 I had 6 races and 2016 was 10 races. Triathlons, Marathons, and other various running and bike races.

Crazy thing is, even with near constant year round training, and a plant based diet. I have been stuck at 170lbs and 20% body fat. You would think I would be a lean and super fit athletic stud. Nope, just an average 46 year old with a spare tire kicking around the midsection, lol

I have a much larger weight loss story, 260lbs, stage II hypertension, dangerously high cholesterol, meat eater, heavy beer drinker, cigarette smoker, sleep apnea, stopped breathing in my sleep several times so bad I was kicking on the floor like a fish out of water pounding on my chest to re-aspirate with tears streaming down my face. I was knocking at deaths door, matter of fact I had one foot in the door.

So honestly, I have come a long way. From winter of 2013 to June 2015 I lost 90lbs! I have remained more or less rock steady at 170/20% since then.

But this is a story for another section of the forum I am sure ;-)
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby Bernadette.S » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:19 pm

Thanks everyone, oats, a few berries, and I really like the idea of potato hash browns with veges, and Mexican is one of my favourite food groups so I will spice up some potatoes :)
Bernadette.S

Postby plant_eater » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:40 pm

Here is a picture of the potatoes with kidney beans and avocado, tomatoes, etc...

Image by Robert C, on Flickr
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby Chelspaz » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:32 am

amandamechele wrote:Chelsea - I'm coming over for dinner! You're very well prepared for the week. I'd love to hear how the veggie risotto turns out. I really like the Mexican lasagna too, and if you omit the olives, it's MWL compliant.
Here is an interesting link (for everyone here) from the January 2005 Newsletter called Pushing your Setpoint to the Limits, The McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss:
It describes the comparison between the Regular McDougall Program and the MWL program. ( I am bringing it up, specifically, because Dr McDougall mentions why he allows whole corn tortillas in the MWL program)

I will let you know how the veggie risotto turns out! Not sure if you are on Instagram, but my account name is in my signature if you'd like to follow me. I post all of my food photos on there and will definitely be doing so throughout the week! I really enjoyed the Mexican Lasagna, so I'm glad that is approved! I don't think I even did the olives when I made it last week [not a huge fan of them] so that works! What is it about the olives that doesn't make it MWL compliant? I think one of my recipes this week asks for canned sliced olives, but I can't recall which one. That's really cool about the corn tortillas! Thanks for sharing the link as well!!!
Chelspaz

Postby anne57 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:00 am

Last edited by anne57 on Mon May 06, 2019 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
anne57

Postby Chelspaz » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:42 pm

Hey Amanda! I tried Jeff Novick's Italian Pasta Primavera and unfortunately it wasn't my cup of tea. I have some cooked pasta left over and I wanted to make a vegan alfredo sauce to put on it, but wasn't sure if it was MWL compliant. I'm sure the coconut milk probably makes it not, but I thought I would check.

Vegan Coconut Cream Pasta Sauce

½ cup hemp seeds
¼ cup nutritional yeast, adjust as needed
1 tsp. garlic powder (or 1 clove garlic)
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. Italian seasonings
1 tsp. crushed red pepper, adjust as needed
¼ tsp. oregano
1 can coconut milk, refrigerated
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
2 drops liquid smoke, optional
Salt & pepper, to taste

Chelspaz

Postby amandamechele » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:40 pm

plant_eater wrote:I have a much larger weight loss story, 260lbs, stage II hypertension, dangerously high cholesterol, meat eater, heavy beer drinker, cigarette smoker, sleep apnea, stopped breathing in my sleep several times so bad I was kicking on the floor like a fish out of water pounding on my chest to re-aspirate with tears streaming down my face. I was knocking at deaths door, matter of fact I had one foot in the door.

So honestly, I have come a long way. From winter of 2013 to June 2015 I lost 90lbs! I have remained more or less rock steady at 170/20% since then.

But this is a story for another section of the forum I am sure ;-)

Robert - Wow! You really have been working at this, with great success. Okay, this is your year to get to your goal and get your story in that other section of the forum. Your lunch looked delicious, btw.

Chelsea - I dream of finding a delicious coconut milk substitute for curries. That is one thing I really do miss from my vegetarian, but not yet McDougall days. Regarding the olives, they are quite high in fat (like avocados, nuts and seeds and coconut milk). So while healthy, and totally acceptable used in sparing amounts in the regular program, it is reccmomended to avoid them while following MWL. That being said, these are all just guidelines. If a tiny amount of olives is going to make your recipe go from ho-hum to something you'd eat regularly and help you stay the course, then go for it. Same with the pasta. For Alfredo sauce, I tend to use recipes that include cashews and white beans. Katie Mae, who is a Chef Presenter at both the McDougall Program and True North Health Centre has a nice recipe, and you can totally omit the cashews if you are aiming to go low-fat:
http://www.plantbasedkatie.com/vegan-fettuccine-alfredo/?hvid=1k7Zbo

anne57 wrote:Good morning! I'm hoping it will work better than my current strategy of 'Dinner needs to be on the table in an hour :eek: , what do I have in the cupboard again?' :lol:

I love the stuff and often eat it plain, but there are lots of good ways to prepare it. Here are three favorites that are adapted for MWL. I use pre-prepped fresh butternut squash chunks from the produce section to get out of some of the work :) . Hope something looks tasty!

[b]Butternut Squash Portugese Soup

Anne - I made your soup recipe for dinner tonight. My husband liked it so much he ate 3 bowls of it with rice. I may like squash more than I realized. Thank you.
Last edited by amandamechele on Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:42 pm

Chelsea - One more issue with the coconut milk is that the fat it contains is mostly saturated. For people with heart disease this is something they may want to avoid.
amandamechele

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program