Is MWL Best For Twenty Year Old College Girl?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Is MWL Best For Twenty Year Old College Girl?

Postby southerngirlgoingvegan » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:53 pm

Hi Everyone~

My daughter is coming home for Christmas break from college. Last year as a freshman she gained 40 pounds and has really struggled since then. She has the excercise piece of health down and now is serious about losing the weight and reclaiming her health.

My question: Is this is a good plan for a twenty year old female. I know she is interested in being healthy but most of all she wants to lose the weight. She is open to me guiding her during the next few weeks and I want to give her a plan that works for her. I feel like I have this one shot and if there is a better plan for a young adult I would like to use it.

Any thought? I really appreciate it!
Blessings!

southerngirlgoingvegan

Postby anne8789 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:33 am

I think MWL is far healthier and more effective than his regular plan. I was a thin active kid who struggled with weight through high school and college. I was able to stay within 20 pounds of an okay weight for me, but it was alway a struggle. After I had my first child (at the age of 26) I discovered Mcdougall. I started on his regular plan, but quickly moved onto MWL because I felt better and stayed at a slim weight effortlessly. I remember thinking that I'd wished I'd known how to eat this way in high school and college. Whenever I am being true to MWL eating is not an issue at all and I easily maintain a slim, healthy weight. I wish my mom had known about this when I was 20 and came home from college. I actually joined the discussion board today so that I could encourage you to introduce MWL to your daughter. Good luck.
anne8789

Postby BW » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:34 am

Hi,
I don't agree the statement that the MWL plan is healthier than the regular plan. I think many people find the regular plan solves all their problems, while some need to switch to the MWL to get ALL the weight off.
I went from a disabled person who couldn't walk across the room to graduating from college at 60 years old and now work with disabled children full time at 68. This is a job that requires energy and endurance. After some weight loss my weight stayed the same for 15 years. All on the regular plan. I still needed to lose 20 lbs, but that started coming off after I joined a gym and started building more muscle mass. My focus has always be health. The regular plan has given me that. I can't imagine Dr McDougall would give us a plan that wasn't health producing.

The latest DVDs will answer most of your questions. There is a sale on now.

For a college age student the regular plan gives more option in all situations. I look at the choices from the point of view " what can I commit to for a life time.
BW
BW

Thank you!

Postby southerngirlgoingvegan » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:49 pm

Thank you both for taking the time to reply to my message. I am new to Dr. McDougal and honestly have not looked at his "regular" plan. I bought his MWL book one day at the book store because at first glance it made so much sense to me. I am tired of playing the weight loss - weight gain game and I truly believe that our bodies were not designed to be in this struggle.

My daughter and I are both insulin resistant and I probably need to take that into consideration when looking at both of the plans. I have been on this plan only a few days but I have already experienced a relief from blood sugar swings (my husband commented on that tonight!). I think the hardest part will be learning to travel and be with friends while remaining on the MWL. To date I have not lost any significant amount of weight but again it makes so much nutritional sense to me. I really became intrigued with this type of diet after seeing Dr. Ohz on Oprah talking about a study in Britain of people who were put on what was basically a guerilla diet. I don't know if either of you saw or heard that piece recently.

Thank you again for caring to respond. I will post here once I have an update! :-P
Blessings!

southerngirlgoingvegan

MWL

Postby Steve » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:29 am

I think the MWL is especially good for anyone who is a volume eater. In other words if you eat a ton of carrots, rice and potatoes you will still lose weight. If you can eat a reasonable amount of food and be satisfied then the regular plan is fine. The real difference is whether to eat bread, and whether to add more salad and veggies I guess. If you have ever eaten half a loaf of bread or more at a sitting (unfortunately I have on more than one occaision) then you are definately a candidate for something safe like rice cakes. If you can eat one and one half pieces of toast and be satisfied, then the regular plan may fit the bill. Either way is good. Also I found the recipes in the MWL plan to be among the best.

Let us know how it goes.
Steve

Postby Rita » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:36 am

Hi,

I don't like feeling like I'm on a "diet". I was on one or another from the time I was 14 till I started McDougalling 12 years ago. I don't want to fee restricted or eat foods that I'm told to eat if I don't really like them. That's why McDougalling works for me. I never feel I'm 'on a diet'. That's also why I chose the regular plan to follow. So, in my humble opinion, I would say, if your daughter started with the regular program and found she wasn't losing weight, she can always migrate to MWL if she so desires. In any event, I wish her much success. We are all here to support her through her journey to good health and weight loss.
Last edited by Rita on Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rita

Postby Jan Tz » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:31 am

"It's best to begin as you intend to continue" is a good piece of advice.

MWL is more restrictive and will be harder to stick with for life. Regular program offers more choices, and especially choices that appeal to college eating, such as pizza, tacos, burritos, pasta, etc.

Regular program plus exercise is my recommendation.
Jan Tz

Postby marybeth0051 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:09 am

The MWL is a more restrictive plan but definately works. If she is already exercising and with her age, she would most likely lose weight on either plan. My college age daughter had also gained weight...about 20 pounds, so when I told her about the diet, low fat plant based, she incorporated some of these things into her diet and lost the weight in just a short time. She is not totally vegan, but she has eliminated most of the meat from her diet and has learned that "the fat you eat is the fat you wear". She has has learned how she can make a potato or rice based meal that is filling, good tasting and keeps her from getting fat.
"Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food" Hippocrates
marybeth0051

Postby southerngirlgoingvegan » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:49 pm

Thank you for all of the replies. I think we may start with the MWL and move into the regular plan after a couple of weeks. I am on the MWL (again - I had to restart after traveling) and have not been hungry - and have lost three pounds this week! I think the initial rapid weight loss will be encouraging to her. :)

I have found today that I am really anxious today - and my mind is telling me that if I just make and eat that club sandwhich I will feel a lot better. :mad:

How do you all deal with the repitive food boredom on the MWL? Do your urges go away?

Thanks!
Blessings!

southerngirlgoingvegan

Postby marybeth0051 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:46 pm

I find that limiting portions on the regular plan works better for me than the restrictive MWL plan. For example, I had a humus sandwich for lunch with 2 slices of fat free bread, toped with lettuce, relish and onion, then a large bowl of onion soup. I was too full to eat a salad, but will have my salad tonight. ......oops just realized i'm responding to a MWL message....sorry, guess I'm pro regular plan. I'll go back to the regular program boards.
"Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food" Hippocrates
marybeth0051

Postby anne8789 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:16 pm

After a while I begin to enjoy the simplicity of repetitive meals. Food becomes such a nonissue. (And food was a big issue with me for a long time). I don't need to worry about how much I am eating or when I am eating. Every once in a while I make a choice to eat something off plan, for example if I go out to eat or am at someone's home, however, when left on my own I have come to prefer MWL food. When I am eating MWL I am at my thinnest and feel my best. Maybe that is why the food appeals to me so much. Also, I have figured out the things that I like to eat and that satisfy me without being too filling or bloating. I've been an on and off MWL person for 20 years. Whenever I have gone off plan, I've always found my way back as it is the best thing for me.
anne8789

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program