McDougall MWL vs McDougall Regular program

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

McDougall MWL vs McDougall Regular program

Postby cuddles » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:27 pm

I would like to get your input on which McDougall program to start with. I am in need of losing approximately 85 lbs and I must confess that my eating habits have not been very good for the last few years. I am not a vegetarian at the moment but I am very familiar with the McDougall program. I was a vegetarian in the 1990's and I had incorporated the McDougall program into my way of life. I have fallen off the wagon and started eating meat, cheese, and all the other unhealthy stuff that goes with the SAD which is why I gained 85 lbs. I am now ready to go back to my vegetarian lifestyle after 10 years of eating the SAD because I am tired of being fat, I can't fit into any of the nice clothes that you find in the department stores, and I just don't feel good at this weight. :crybaby: My question is, would it be better start McDougalling with the regular program or with the MWL? Can someone give me the basic run down of the MWL? I have the MWL book but it's in storage and I am clueless as to which box the book is in. How many of you do the MWL along with exercising?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Cuddles
cuddles

Postby Jackie J » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:48 pm

I would suggest reading Nettie's posts on Testimonies and Success. She has lost 130 pounds after having regained weight. She is very systematic in her approach - I would copy what she eats. It's very simple, doesn't require lots of cooking and it worked for her. Start with her lost 50 pounds post and read until the most recent.
Good luck -- you will find all the support you need here.
Jackie J

Postby stephanie » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:43 pm

cuddles,

Most people seem to start with the regular program then switch to MWL if they have trouble losing those last few pounds as they get close to their optimal weight. It's really up to you which subset of McDougalling you start with, but a lot of people here seem to suggest starting with the regular program since it's less restrictive but still gives great results.

The main points of MWL:
-follows the basic outline of the regular program, of course (no animal products, no high-fat plant foods like oil/nuts/seeds/avocados etc.)
-your plate should be at least 1/2 starch, with the remainder being low-calorie veggies (You can just eyeball the proportions.)
-no flour products - grains are only in whole form (i.e., brown rice, bulghur wheat, etc.), which means bread, pasta, etc. are out
-2 fruits/day - only in whole fresh form, so no dried fruit or fruit juice
-use simple sugar sparingly

I second the suggestion to read Nettie's success story posts--very inspiring and full of good tips.

Best wishes,
Stephanie
stephanie

Postby Sher » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:15 am

Since your books are in storage:
[url=http://drmcdougall.com/free.html]
The Free McDougall Program[/url]

...also free eLectures and podcasts on the home page.

Here is a quick guide to the 12-Day program and the MWL:
http://www.fatfree.com/diets/mcdougall.html

Mary's Mini-Diet

Video Links: Vegetarian Society of Hawaii Lecture Videos

McDougall TV Program Archives

Welcome!
Sher
Sher

Thank you for all your support

Postby cuddles » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:06 am

I'd like to thank everyone for replying to my post. I do like the suggestions everyone has given me. I think I will try the McDougall regular program first and then work my way into the MWL program.

Cuddles
cuddles

Postby pixie » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:25 pm

hi i'm new to this site and was wondering the same question MWL vs regular. Looks like I should order the 12 day program book online (since I can't find it in any bookstores) and take it from there.

i have about 20lbs to lose and want to feel healthier. although i'm vegetarian i tend to indulge in too many bad carbs and fats.

i'll read netties log for newbie inspiration.

thank you
pixie

Postby pixie » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:07 pm

Carroll wrote:I guess it just depends on your personality... for me it just made sense to start with the maximum weightloss plan. I had to make a change anyway and my motivation was high right in the beginning... then after many months going to the regular plan was like a luxury rather than feeling like, 'oh, I've already deprived myself of so much and made so many changes now to give up even more is just too hard!' Instead of getting into the MWL plan feeling that the regular plan had failed me, it was more like relaxing into the whole thing from a more strict form of the diet. I've seen it many times here people recommend to start with the regular plan but it makes no sense at all to me, so that's why I think it must just be personality... I think I would've had no motivation and felt miserable if I had attempted MWL *after* struggling with the regular plan. Instead the MWL plan 'reset' my taste buds and feeling of satisfaction so that the regular plan really feels like an almost sinful gourmet way of eating to me.

Now I feel a bit confused, after reading the earlier posts, I went ahead and ordered the 12 day program book (and the new cookbook), but it looks like the 12 day program is FREE on this site - have i just been ripped off? I should have gone ahead and ordered the MWL! :mad: Your idea makes so much sense Caroll.

Having viewed the FREE program - it looks like the recipes are enough to feed an army, does the book give suggestions for single people who work long hours and don't have lots of time to spend in a kitchen preparing?
pixie

Postby Sher » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:53 pm

Dr. McDougall & his wife, Mary, have been generous in the amount of information they share on their website at no cost. Anyone can change their life with the information that is available there, along with the support offered on this board. People can read about the program, read the research that backs it up, and give it a test run, and not be out any out-of-pocket expenses.

However, I still like having *hard copies* of Dr. McDougall's books, and as I could afford it, the DVDs. I get something different out of each and every one, and love having them to reference back to. You can pick up used copies at http://www.half.com, I just checked it out to see what was available.

Good luck with whatever you decide,
Sher
Sher

Postby Nettie » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:05 pm

pixie wrote:Now I feel a bit confused, after reading the earlier posts, I went ahead and ordered the 12 day program book (and the new cookbook), but it looks like the 12 day program is FREE on this site - have i just been ripped off? I should have gone ahead and ordered the MWL! :mad: Your idea makes so much sense Caroll.

Having viewed the FREE program - it looks like the recipes are enough to feed an army, does the book give suggestions for single people who work long hours and don't have lots of time to spend in a kitchen preparing?

Oh, Pixie, you haven't wasted your money. Sher is right when she says there's a lot on the website, but there's tremendous value in having the complete explanation of the program, along with the medical rationale for veganism. Dr. McDougall's books are tremendous motivation. I like to pick them up and re-read certain sections so that I can explain things to others and remind myself why I'm eating this way.
And, of course, the Quick & Easy Cookbook has been a lifesaver for this busy, not-that-crazy-about-cooking working person. It's just my husband and me, so it's not necessary to make a lot of food. Usually I'll make something from the cookbook on the weekend, and it keeps just fine as we eat it through the week. I'm thinking most of the recipes also freeze well.
May I suggest you buy a Chop Wizard with food preparation? I bought mine, based on a suggestion from someone in one of the forums, and it's been a lifesaver! I got it for $20, I think, and I ordered it online from Target. One of the reasons I don't like to cook is all the chopping of onions, bell peppers, etc., but this baby makes short work of all that!
Nettie
Nettie

Postby pixie » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:43 am

Forgive me, I did not mean to sound like a "vicitm" or "pathetic"... it is true, having a hard copy on hand is a wonderful reference and I'm sure it's chock-full of great motivating information. The more info I have the more successful I hope to be.

thanks for the tips and I'll definitely look into the "Chop" instrument.

I can tell these forums will be of great support.
:D
pixie

Postby janetc » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:46 pm

pixie wrote:Forgive me, I did not mean to sound like a "vicitm" or "pathetic"... it is true, having a hard copy on hand is a wonderful reference and I'm sure it's chock-full of great motivating information. The more info I have the more successful I hope to be.

thanks for the tips and I'll definitely look into the "Chop" instrument.

I can tell these forums will be of great support.
:D

I didn't realize there was so much information either, but I like the hard copies of all the information. Thanks!
janetc

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program