DECEMBER 2014 McDougall Weigh In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: DECEMBER 2014 McDougall Weigh In Group

Postby PlantMom1 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:57 am

interpreter.wendy wrote:Hello! I have been vegan for the past six months, but I am new to this specific program. I am nervous, because of how much time it seems that it will take to cook everything from scratch. And the idea of giving up all oils seems a bit daunting. :shock: It may take some getting used to, but I know that these changes will do me a lot of good. :nod: I am a new mom, managing our home and a career, but I want to be healthy for my family.

Hey there Interpreter Wendy! I know it seems tough at first to give up the oils, but honestly in most recipes you will never miss it! You can do your sauteeing in just a bit of water and can sub applesauce in baked goods that call for oil. If you are looking for quick and easy recipes, I can't recommend the Happy Herbivore series of cookbooks enough. All her recipes are oil free/plant strong and are super quick, using common kitchen ingredients- no need to buy a bunch of expensive exotic ingredients. She has many recipes on her website as well; just google happy herbivore. Fat Free Vegan Kitchen is another great blog/web site. Susan has a ton of oil free and super good recipes that fit under the McDougall plan auspices. Best to you in your journey!!
PlantMom1

Postby perky12415 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:05 pm

PlantMom1 wrote:Hi Perky! I am 5 foot 2, so every lb makes a big difference in how my clothes fit! My biggest challenge is cutting out the sugary treats and not finishing up after my six year old. He is thin as a rail, so I am forever baking and making him higher fat treats- which he eats two bites of and then leaves- and then I inhale so as not to be wasteful!! :) I'm four days into no peanut butter, granola bars or crackers- woo-hoo!

Way to go! Every day in the right direction is a positive one. It definitely doesn't help when you were raised on the "clean plate club" philosophy.
perky12415

Postby Charlottew » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:39 am

I am the same as last week.

Charlottew

Postby PlantMom1 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:43 am

Happy Friday Everyone! Image
PlantMom1

Postby PlantMom1 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:08 am

So how did everyone do achieving their non-scale goals this week? I started Monday and met my goal of no flour/processed foods (read: granola bars, Belvita bf cookies), wine, pb or sugar. I did mess up last night- was apparently brain dead and was thinking whole wheat was fine and so I could have some of the w/w pasta I added to my kids' soup. Oooops. Durr. Potatoes good. Rice good. Pasta bad. Oh well- won't make that mistake again, at least non-intentionally. My biggest challenge lies ahead- staying on track over the weekend. That's when Mr. Vino Bottle will call out to me and I'll be baking for the kids. We do pizza/movie night with the kids on Friday nights and lately I have gotten into a bad habit of eating their crusts- so I will need to stay vigilant!
PlantMom1

Postby eshqua » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:42 am

I've been out of town so not posting for a while but down 2 lbs since the last time. Thrilled! I'm down 11 lb since June 1st. I'm very happy with slow and steady especially since I've had a sore knee since May which is finally on the mend after a cortisone shot. I couldn't exercise hardly at all for parts of Aug-Oct since my knee was quite bad. I'm no longer in the overweight BMI and 1 lb away from BMI under 24 - Yahoo! My goal is a BMI 23 or under which is another 8 lb or so.
eshqua

Postby Tina Girton » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:03 am

Good Morning! I'm happy to report that I've lost 2.5 lbs! I haven't been perfect, but I'm working on it. Hopefully, I'll do better with that this week.
I am facing knee surgery (torn meniscus) December 10th. It isn't supposed to be any big deal though. From what I'm hearing I should be able to start exercising again in a couple of weeks, then things should speed up. :)
Tina Girton

Postby Tina Girton » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:07 am

PlantMom1 wrote:Happy Friday Everyone! Image

Good job!
Tina Girton

Postby Tina Girton » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:10 am

eshqua wrote:I've been out of town so not posting for a while but down 2 lbs since the last time. Thrilled! I'm down 11 lb since June 1st. I'm very happy with slow and steady especially since I've had a sore knee since May which is finally on the mend after a cortisone shot. I couldn't exercise hardly at all for parts of Aug-Oct since my knee was quite bad. I'm no longer in the overweight BMI and 1 lb away from BMI under 24 - Yahoo! My goal is a BMI 23 or under which is another 8 lb or so.

Good job! I feel ya on the sore knee thing! Having surgery the 10th on mine. Ugh! We will hobble along together! :-)
Tina Girton

Postby scooterpie » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:02 am

Please note that losses or gains (from a previous weigh-in) are recorded--not your actual weight.

Here's an actual report from last month:

Debbie wrote:November 2014 Weight Loss Group :: Weekly Weigh In Results
Total group loss reported in 2014: 13.9
Total group loss reported in November: 12.7
Week ending 11/29/2014: 7 participants reported a total gain of +8 pounds.

*Reminder, all gains count towards the total.*
---------------------------------------------

lmggallagher- +2.8
Healthyhiker- +2.7
Charlottew- +1
Debbie- +1
Randy- +1

Total gains = + 8.5 pounds
Scooterpie- 0
Hickory- .5

Total losses = .5 pounds

Total group loss in November 2014: 12.7
Week ending 11/28/2014: 7 participants reported a total gain of +8 pounds.
Week ending 11/21/2014: 9 participants reported a total gain of +3.3 pounds.
Week ending 11/14/2014: 11 participants reported a total loss of 14.2 pounds.
Week ending 11/07/2014: 7 participants reported a total loss of 9.5 pounds.

Total group loss in October 2014: 1.5
Week ending 10/31/2014: 5 participants reported a total loss of 1.5 pounds.
scooterpie

Postby lmggallagher » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:11 pm

eshqua wrote:I've been out of town so not posting for a while but down 2 lbs since the last time. Thrilled! I'm down 11 lb since June 1st. I'm very happy with slow and steady especially since I've had a sore knee since May which is finally on the mend after a cortisone shot. I couldn't exercise hardly at all for parts of Aug-Oct since my knee was quite bad. I'm no longer in the overweight BMI and 1 lb away from BMI under 24 - Yahoo! My goal is a BMI 23 or under which is another 8 lb or so.

Hey Congratualtions - on getting out of the overweight BMI!!!!! Well done :-D :-D :-D :-D
lmggallagher

Postby lmggallagher » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:16 pm

Nov. 1, 2014 - 240
Nov. 8, 2014 - 237.6
Nov. 14, 2014 -236.6
Nov. 21, 2014 - 237.6
Nov. 28, 2014 - 240.4
Dec. 05, 2014 - 238.2

Down 2.2

I have lost but a few ounces of Thanksgiving weight. I have been right on track all week with MWL - but think my fruit servings are a bit high still. I am relying on grapes to stave off the cravings of Christmas goodies - which are showing up already!

It's really nice to have such a big group again and looks like so far folks are doing pretty well!

lmggallagher

Postby Debbie » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:20 pm

Yes!! Thank you Scooterpie!

Please make sure and only give me how much you lost or gained since you started or your last weigh in. Plantmom1, Im assuming you lost 2.6 and Bigscaryguy....I am not sure if that is your starting weight or what. Of course you are totally free to post your actual weights...but for the tally I only need the amount lost/gained....

Thanks!
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby Kast » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:08 pm

Hi everyone,
1.5 lbs down this week. Yippee! Haven't been perfect but making progress and have increased my exercise to almost daily. :-D excited to keep going,
kast
Kast

Postby PlantMom1 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:45 am

Kast- 1.5 lbs is fantastic! Progress, not perfection, right?? Each good decision we make adds up. Debbie, yes, the # you have for me is right. Entering my danger zone now- weekends are always the toughest for me. I did make it through Friday night without a glass of wine or nibbling on my sons' pizza crusts, so I'm happy about that. Have a great Saturday, All!!
PlantMom1

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program