Starting Mary's Mini on Monday (7/30)

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby Lilac » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:48 pm

I'll be jumping in on Mary's Mini tomorrow, after the holidays (food?!) and being sick with the latest cold/flu bug my poor body feels so off track. This should help get me back into the proper eating mode again!

Anyone else still doing this? I'd love to see daily menus if you don't mind sharing and I'll post mine too.
Lilac

Postby Jackie J » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:00 pm

I started a modified mini today with white potatoes and oatmeal for breakfast but I might have 'cheated' because I also had about 3/4 cup of garbanzo beans. I'm gonna just have the potatoes and oatmeal tomorrow. If I post menus, I'll put it in Roberta's corner. But generally it will be oatmeal with flaxseed for breakfast. White potato(es) salad, cooked veggie for lunch and dinner - with red bliss potatoes, home made veggie soup, raw carrots for snacks.
Good luck. I already feel better today....
Jackie J

Postby Sandra » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:11 pm

Hi... peeking in again. I started the mini the day after Christmas, which turned into a modified mini... and have lost 20 lbs to date! I just keep telling myself to keep it simple, and I eat very small portions.

I usually have oatmeal with raisons for breakfast, and I'm finding that soups seem to be the easiest for me. I only have to cook every couple of days! I also quite enjoy hot lemon water. One in a while I'll have a big glass of tomato juice and use fruits for snacks. One day it was sort of rough and I ended up binging on rice cakes! Just plain, unsalted rice cakes, and they were so good that I kept going back to them until they were gone! I guess you can binge on anything when you are in that mood.

I quite like the 20 lbs gone, but I have so much to lose that I'm going to try and keep it simple for awhile yet before I totally phase into more variety.

Sandra
Sandra

Postby Jackie J » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:58 pm

Sandra,
That's incredible --
You should be really proud of yourself. You say you have a ways to go -- any time you feel overwhelmed, take a look at Nettie's posts under testimonials if you haven't already. They'll inspire you.
Thanks for your testimonial and keep up the good work.
Jackie J

Postby havfaith » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:41 pm

Hi, Sandra! Great loss so far! Keep up the healthy eating and exercise and you will make it to your goal. Try not to worry so much about portions. The foods on the plan you're following are very low in calories and the McDougalls say you should eat until you're satisfied rahter than limiting portions. Don't go hungry trying to lose faster. You don't want to put your body into starvation mode. I'm getting back into McDougalling all the time and occasionally put my meals into one of the online trackers to figure cals to be sure I'm eating enough. I was shocked to see today that the big veggie salad I had for a snack today was under 100 cals even with the dressing! :eek: Can't say that for a salad laden with cheese and fatty dressing.
http://stashingless.blogspot.com/
http://delusionsofdomesticity.blogspot.com/
havfaith

Postby Sandra » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:29 pm

OK... I've read the phrase several times now. What do you mean by going into starvation mode, and what happens if you do?

How do I go see Nettie's story? I have about 150lbs total to lose, well, about 130 now. One of the problems I've had is that I've been stuck at around 300 lbs for over 15 years!!! I never go much above, and I seldom go much below... just stay right there. NOW I'm nearly 280 and I haven't seen those numbers for a very long time. I think my body has gotten pretty set where it's been for so long.

Sandra
Sandra

Postby Jackie J » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:19 pm

Sandra,
click on Testimonies and Success Stories. Look for the posts that say" Now down 130 pounds, "Now down 120 pounds" and so forth. Those are the threads Nettie started stating her progress on the McDougall plan.
Good luck.
Jackie J

Starvation Mode

Postby fatfreevegan » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:15 am

Sandra wrote:OK... I've read the phrase several times now. What do you mean by going into starvation mode, and what happens if you do?

If you don't eat enough, if you let yourself go hungry, then your body will perceive that food is not plentiful and it will conserve energy/calories rather than burning them. That works against your weight loss efforts. It's also why so many of us got trapped in yo-yo dieting. Starvation mode makes it so hard to lose weight, and yet SO easy to regain it when you go "off" your diet. You should go hungry or skip meals. Always eat enough to satisfy your hunger, just make sure you are eating the right foods!
Anna
-------
240 / 231 / 130
http://eatbreathemove.blogspot.com/
fatfreevegan

Previous

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program