All Hail the Potato Challenge!!

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: All Hail the Potato Challenge!!

Postby Jholty » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:36 pm

Anyone still in the Challenge?

I started a Mary's Mini Challenge last week...come join us if you'd like!!
Jholty

Postby annhett » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:29 pm

for people that use instant mashed potatoes, what brand do you use? I can't find any without oil.

thanks!
annhett

Postby VeggieSue » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:28 pm

Bob's Red Mill. Only ingredient listed is dehydrated potatoes:

http://www.bobsredmill.com/potato-flakes.html?&cat=
VeggieSue

Postby Key Tones » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:31 am

I'm in!

Has anyone tried the crockpot? No water needed - fill it up, set 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low - yukon golds come out great. It is nice to have a large quantity on hand for this!
Key Tones

Postby CJJ » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:09 pm

I have tried them in the crockpot (just once) and then made them in the oven the next time. I like how they turned out in the crockpot much better. I did not wrap them in foil either, although some instructions say to do so.
CJJ

Postby Key Tones » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:28 pm

Oh, I haven't tried wrapping in foil. I'll wrap one next time to see what it does.

I'm going to a friend's house for several hours tomorrow. I'm a little worried. What do you carry with you to eat? I don't think the potato hack is going to be understood. I'm thinking I should take some bananas
Key Tones

Postby VeggieSue » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:05 am

Key Tones wrote:Oh, I haven't tried wrapping in foil. I'll wrap one next time to see what it does.

Remember that Dr. McDougall (and now Dr. Barnard) advises against letting aluminum foil touch your food. I remember reading Mary McDougall recommending wrapping the potato in parchment paper first, then wrapping the foil around it, if you insist on using foil.
VeggieSue

Postby Key Tones » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:36 am

VeggieSue wrote:
Key Tones wrote:Oh, I haven't tried wrapping in foil. I'll wrap one next time to see what it does.

Remember that Dr. McDougall (and now Dr. Barnard) advises against letting aluminum foil touch your food. I remember reading Mary McDougall recommending wrapping the potato in parchment paper first, then wrapping the foil around it, if you insist on using foil.

Thank you for the warning. I have only just read the Starch Solution, and I don't remember this. Perhaps I skimmed over it. I just found this link--thank you again!

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2004nl/ ... heimer.htm
Key Tones

Postby TracyAnn » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:34 pm

The crock pot method has convinced me to continue the potato hack. It would be great to have a lot of potatoes ready to eat. I have a huge crock pot I never use, I am getting it out right NOW! I have been missing the potatoes.

What does the foil/parchment do? Make the potatoes crispier on the outside?
TracyAnn

Postby Wild4Stars » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:36 pm

TracyAnn wrote:The crock pot method has convinced me to continue the potato hack. It would be great to have a lot of potatoes ready to eat. I have a huge crock pot I never use, I am getting it out right NOW! I have been missing the potatoes.

What does the foil/parchment do? Make the potatoes crispier on the outside?

You do not need foil or parchment in the crock pot. They will be perfect.
"If your lifestyle doesn't control your body, your body will eventually control your lifestyle." Ern Baxter
Wild4Stars

Postby TracyAnn » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:44 pm

Wild4Stars wrote:You do not need foil or parchment in the crock pot. They will be perfect.

Thanks! :-)
TracyAnn

Postby vgpedlr » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:46 pm

The crockpot method is my go-to plan in the summer so as to not heat up the house further while "baking" potatoes. It works well for all varieties.
vgpedlr

Postby TracyAnn » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:06 pm

I officially got out my crock pot and filled it with potatoes and set it on low for 8 hours. About 4 hours left. I fit about 7 pounds of potatoes in there! Hopefully enough to last a couple days!
TracyAnn

Postby KittyMcKnitty » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:24 am

That crock pot trick should be patented.
Proud member of S.P.U.D.S. (Society for the Protection of Underrated and Devalued Starches).
KittyMcKnitty

Postby Key Tones » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:56 am

Just what I needed to read. Loaded my crockpot just now - all set for the start of the work week!

I haven't done well with sauces - BBQ and A-1 taste too good. I did pretty well with my curry and chili spices - I'm going back to that this week. I also made some spicy hummus with cumin, red pepper powder, chili powder, and paprika! Yum!
Key Tones

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program