Hello there!

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Hello there!

Postby ZenJen » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:55 pm

My name is Jen. I've been reading the forum for a long time, but haven't posted. Might have, but don't remember, anyway..... I'm 34 years old and weight 262 pounds. I lost 65 lbs very quickly with MWL before, but unfortunately I got sidetracked. I did manage to keep it off for five years, but it creeped back on over the last year due to illness. I've been trying everything except what I know works!!! I even started eating chicken and fish-I've been an ethical vegetarian since I was 15. How the heck did that happen!

Several ladies at work have had, or are having gastric bypass surgery. It's depressing to watch someone who was 100 lbs more than you weight 50 lbs less! I wouldn't do that, I couldn't do it anyway as I have an acute porphyria and have to have a steady supply of carbs. At least 300 grams a day. Of course this plan is perfect!! Many people with this disease are overweight because we learn early on if we eat junk food-candy, cookies, ice cream- that we feel better and the pain stops. I never knew it was just the carbs that I needed! Now I know why I'm sick and what I need. I figure if I eat some good complex carbs every 2-3 hours I should feel great. I need to use the simple sugars when I am sick, not as preventative medicine. I also need to prevent diabetes because, if I'm diabetic, I'm S-O-L. When I'm sick, large amounts of simple sugar is the medicine-even at the hospital. My aunt has porphyria and diabetes... let's just say they don't mix. I also have high blood pressure and don't want to go on the meds that the doctor wants me too. Most medicines make me violently ill.

My ultimate goal weight is about 130, but I'm going to think about it in 20 lb increments. Small successes paving way for total success!

So, I'm here... I'm need to do this for myself. I'm going to try to post to keep myself more accountable. I also know that there is a wealth of information and wisdom here which is great.

Great to officially be here!
Jen
ZenJen

Postby mairead11 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:09 pm

Hi Jen, welcome!

There are a whole bunch of us that congregate in a thread, where we celebrate our successes, and vent our stumblings, and basically hold ourselves accountable for our weight loss—we weigh in once a week, collectively on Thursdays [although some people weigh in on different days]. It is a welcoming and warm environment, where we provide support for each other. It's been in action since November, and we start a new thread each month. A new one begins "officially" tomorrow, but you are very welcome to come join! [as is anyone else who would like to be surrounded by others in the same shoes!]. To get a feel for it, check out March's tread, but April is where it's tomorrow! :D
APRIL '09-MWL-"ON PLAN, PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"

Would love to see you over there!
mairead11

Postby Faith in DC » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:45 am

Welcome Jen
If you stick with McD you shouldn't need too many simple carbs. At least that's my take. You may even have to eat more often, and smaller amounts to keep the constant flow just right.

I'm glad you realized you are getting yourself into a situation and took action. Type II could have raised it's ugly head any time.

We are here to support you. Come look at our successes on the thread mentioned above.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby ZenJen » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:35 pm

Yeah, hoping I can reduce my sugar consumption way down. I know I'll never be able to completely eliminate it, but oh well. Other than a few hard candies - I was getting nauseous- it's going well so far.

Thanks! I think I will join the monthly thread.

Sounds good!

Jen
ZenJen

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program