APRIL '09-MWL-"ON PLAN, PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

In Virginia now

Postby Riva » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:47 am

This trip is a test of will...or not exactly will because I am in 100% compliance and wrong foods are not an option. It is testing my ability to withstand discomfort and desire. My host put out my favorite ever thing: bagels lox and cream cheese and tomatoes. She bought ww bagels for me. Wow, does that little devil on the shoulder start chatting in my ear.

I had a whole wheat bagel and tomatoes and capers.
A bowl of oatmeal
A bowl of a wonderful fruit salad she made.

I do start feeling sorry for myself and a little cranky. But I try to focus on that old transactional therapy: I am ok, you are not ok. ha ha....

Riva
Riva

Postby Letha. » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:00 am

HealthE1 wrote:Letha, I have bad osteoarthritis in my thumbs. Went to a nutritional physician many years ago and he said there's an allergic arthritis and I was put on an elimination diet. Eliminating certain foods, mainly the white stuff and additives, ended up helping it. Then found Dr. McD's program which further kept it from progressing further. I am 100% out of pain, even though the bone is on bone, etc., when I don't eat those things.

I’m glad you were able to find relief from your symptoms without drugs. Tell me, how long after eliminating the problem foods before your symptoms began to subside?
Letha
Letha.

Postby Starchyme » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:03 am

It's been 19 years now, so hard to remember back. I don't have time right now to tell my results. But maybe over the weekend I'll sit down and write it. All I can say is, when I put it to the test, I always run right back to McDougalling and eating this way in lieu of how I did it before.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Re: In Virginia now

Postby Letha. » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:22 am

Riva wrote:This trip is a test of will...or not exactly will because I am in 100% compliance and wrong foods are not an option.

...But I try to focus on that old transactional therapy: I am ok, you are not ok. ha ha....

Riva

Riva, you’re not just OK.

You are Rock Solid

An Immovable Mountain of Resolve

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Letha.

Postby MaryW » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:32 pm

Letha--congrats on reaching the next stage of the elimination diet! I'm sure you are so happy to be eating something different. And I'm jealous...huge portions of cooked onions for two days? Sounds delicious! I might just have to eat a whole bunch of onions today in a show of solidarity. :-D

The picnic went well yesterday. I made HUGE bowls of black bean salad, jicama salad, and quinoa salad. The quinoa salad was especially good. I cooked quinoa in broth and mixed it with zucchini, asparagus, green red and yellow bell peppers, chick peas and 3-2-1 dressing. My mom made a garden salad and steamed asparagus. My aunt meant well, but she brought alot of packaged foods including the dreaded hummus wraps. I dutifully ate a piece and told her how good it was. Then I positively GORGED myself on salads and asparagus. I finished things off with fresh strawberries. It was all SOO good, but boy was I miserable afterward. But on a positive note, I wasn't hungry again in 3 hours like usual. In fact I wasn't hungry again for the rest of the day! I don't recommend this strategy though. :)
MaryW

Postby green jeanne » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Letha, thank you so much for the welcome!

Riva, I can so relate to feeling sorry for myself. I've been on this program for 8 years and I still have times when I feel this way when people are eating those things that look and smell so good.

Right now I am finally taking the bull by the horns and getting off the final amount of weight I should have way back when. Though I didn't go off the program, I guess I eat too much or too dense calorie items. Still trying to qualify what I'm doing. :eek: I have been termed a fat vegan and finally I'm tired of that. The doctors don't believe you are on this plan when you show up overweight. So I'm buckling down and doing this full tilt.

Keep going, it does really work!
green jeanne

Postby Letha. » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:50 pm

green jeanne wrote: The doctors don't believe you are on this plan when you show up overweight.

I hear you Green Jeanne. I hope by staying on plan and getting good results over the next few years that it will cause my doctor to investigate the McDougall plan and recommend it to his other patients. Or, at the very least, stop suggesting that his overweight patients should be sure to get enough lean protein. :cool: He’s not a bad guy, just overwhelmed in an understaffed rural clinic.
Letha
Letha.

Feeling a bit better, want to get back on track!

Postby JessNZ » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:47 am

I finally succumbed to the family loogie-bug and have been moping about just
trying to survive the school holidays without alienating my husband or kids
(who are also suffering)!

I haven't even been able to get to my scale,
which really means I should move it back upstairs...OK, that's my goal :-)
Off to achieve it!
JessNZ

Postby Letha. » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:43 am

Checking in. I’m on plan and planning to stay that way.

Sunday Exercise Report: None this week.

Here is today’s menu:

Breakfast: Baked Yams, diced Apple
Lunch: Brown Rice, sautéed Onions & cooked Carrots
Afternoon Snack: Baked Yams, sautéed Onions, Watermelon
Dinner: Mashed Yukon Gold Potatoes, sautéed Onions, Green Beans
Beverages: Water, Mint Tea

Day two of the onion test. So far so good. :) I’ll check back tomorrow.
Letha
Letha.

Sunday Exercise Report

Postby LauraA » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:59 am

Well, let's see - I'm in Seattle now babysitting wonderful grandkids. I went to Curves on Friday - other than that I've done some walking, but not as much as when I was sightseeing in Australia. I'm pretty much off of my routine, but I'm doing well, and feel good. I'm sorry that I haven't been able to post much, but I'm thinking of everyone. Letha, I'm proud of you following such a rigid eating plan while here I am on a much more lenient version of McDougalling for this few weeks! Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

"ON PLAN, AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"
Letha
LauraA

Postby LauraA » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:01 am

For those of you who don't know, Sunday is our day to report how we are all doing with exercise. How are all of you doing with your exercise plans? Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

"ON PLAN, AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"
Letha
LauraA

exercise

Postby green jeanne » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:25 pm

Doing great with brisk walking considering my foot pain. I've been making sure my stride isn't too long which seems to aggravate it more. So far so good. I hated taking the week off to rest it, but last week was good! :)
green jeanne

Postby Jackie J » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:54 pm

Green jean
Have you considered walking sticks to help with your foot pain? I had excruciating pain in my ankle and sometimes my hip would hurt when I would take long walks-- someone gave me a pair of leiki walking sticks although i've seen something similar at target for way less $$ -- it has really helped - also rebounding is a great way to get the aerobic exercise without putting stress on your feet.
Jackie J

Sunday Exercise Report

Postby beanie » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:35 pm

Monday - None
Tuesday - Ran 7 miles
Wednesday - Walked 3 miles
Thursday - Ran 7 miles
Friday - Walked 3 miles
Saturday - None
Sunday - Hiked 2 miles

Goals for the week:
Stay on plan - I went off a bit this weekend. Had some guacamole today and a beer last night. Keep exercising. Drink more water.

Challenges this week: It's going to be a super busy semi-stressful week at work. I need to get organized and bring some good lunches and snacks and make sure I take a break at lunch and get in a walk.

Good luck to everyone this week!
beanie

Postby topview1 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:13 am

Good Monday morning!

On plan and planning to stay that way. My husbands aunt died on Sat. morning (she was 85, with a well live life of faith), he had a beautiful visit with her Friday night and when he said he was coming back in the morning she shook her head, no! she knew that this was the end. We are going through all of the funeral motions with hearts that are happy for her.

Food planned and packed for tonights visitation. I had sick children last night, so missed the family supper. THat was fine, because I wasn't prepared.

Fit 10 and two newos this morning, more planned later today.

oatmeal and mulberries
fruit
veggies and potatoes
fruit
rice and veggies
tea
Melanie
McDougalling with 5 special somebodies
4 boys - 9,7,5,3

topview1

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program