coffee "creamer" inquiry

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: coffee "creamer" inquiry

Postby frozenveg » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:25 am

If you are trying to be a MWL purist, then the best thing I can think of is to take your coffee black. However, since that is not a helpful answer, let me point out that there are several milk-substitute alternatives to soy.

Now, none of these are great MWL, except for the rice milk I recommended yesterday, which is only 15% fat, and used as a condiment, is OK> And adding to coffee is a condiment. Besides rice, there are almond and hemp, for starters. You need to read labels, and be cautious about each of them, watching for added sweeteners and fat percentage. My husband, who doesn't follow this way of eating but has to live with me, likes hemp milk the best (and I said, "Of course! It's highest in fat!"). It has a very rich, creamy feel and a nice taste.

I also make a cashew milk for making DH waffles, sometimes. It is super-simple. 1/4 cup raw cashews to 1 cup ice-cold water, whiz in Vitamix or other blender until smooth. I keep cashews around in the fridge (so they don't go rancid--as an added bonus, I don't see them and eat them all) so I have quick access to a milk source for DH's meal needs.

Once again, you have to balance out how you feel about not being MWL on this point.

Also, if you haven't watched Jeff's lesson on label reading, have a look at this!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtxvIHRkoAg
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby Gwen » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:56 pm

I like So Delicious Coconut Creamer. Just a small amount has no fat listed and it's really creamy. I use the Vanilla.
Gwen
Gwen

Postby Jeannie1960 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:15 am

sgull wrote:
Gwen wrote:I like So Delicious Coconut Creamer. Just a small amount has no fat listed and it's really creamy. I use the Vanilla.
Gwen

Doesn't taste like coconut does it? If so I probably wouldn't care for it because I don't like coconut very much and I also don't like "flavored" creamers, only "plain" or maybe vanilla flavored for me. But if it doesn't have a coconut taste and is really creamy it sounds like worth considering. Thanks!

I use the regular So Delicious Creamer ( Vanilla is a bit too sweet for my taste) . And no, it doen't taste like coconut But is a great alternative.
Jeannie
Jeannie1960

Postby mms » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:44 pm

I like rice milk in my coffee. I'm down to 1 cup per day since seriously following McDougall plan (not MWL) for three weeks now. I haven't heard of So Delicious but I will look for it in the local grocery store. Plant based?
MMS
mms

Postby hveeck » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:42 pm

thank you guys for all this helpful information. I have been following the starch solutioin for a couple months now and the coffee creamer has been my one major issue. where can i find the so delicious coconut "creamer" thank you!! 8)
hveeck

Postby Katydid » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:09 am

If you have any type of intestinal issues or are prone to autoimmune disease you'll want to be very careful with using any product containing carrageenan.

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/is-carrageenan-safe/

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby LakeConroePenny » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:27 am

Katydid wrote:If you have any type of intestinal issues or are prone to autoimmune disease you'll want to be very careful with using any product containing carrageenan.

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/is-carrageenan-safe/

Kate

I know that carrageenan is taboo, so it seems that the hemp milk is the safest one? I have some here, so I will try it.
LakeConroePenny

Postby LakeConroePenny » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:42 am

LakeConroePenny wrote:
Katydid wrote:If you have any type of intestinal issues or are prone to autoimmune disease you'll want to be very careful with using any product containing carrageenan. http://nutritionfacts.org/video/is-carr ... -safe/Kate

I know that carrageenan is taboo, so it seems that the hemp milk is the safest one? I have some here, so I will try it.

I bought some Natural Bliss, but all they had was vanilla, and it tasted "chemically" nasty, probably because it had baking soda in it, and it also had the dreaded 'sugar'. Then bought unsweetened So Delicious Coconut Milk as they didn't have the creamer, only to find out that it has over 4 grams of fat! Then Silk Soy Non-GMO Creamer, there again all they had was Vanilla, it is tolerable, but I just don't like to have soy of any kind. Any more ideas?
LakeConroePenny

Postby DeborahAnn » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:15 am

I make my own cashew milk. It is wonderful. I use about the same proportions as has already been reported in this thread.
DeborahAnn

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program