How to handle intense salt cravings?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

How to handle intense salt cravings?

Postby a-great-hunger » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:02 am

I tend to get intense salt cravings at night, to the point where I will chug salted broth and eat plain table salt. I try to avoid salting my food excessively, but I find that using a lot of salt on my food helps me consume enough salt to feel satisfied - otherwise I will keep eating trying to get enough sodium. (It's either that or I might end up eating something extremely salty like string cheese.)

I don't really like this and would prefer an alternative. Any suggestions?
a-great-hunger

Re: How to handle intense salt cravings?

Postby stanley1 » Sun May 12, 2024 9:05 pm

A while back there was an article that said salt will make you hungrier. www.nytimes.com/2017/05/08/health/salt- ... fects.html
New studies of Russian cosmonauts, held in isolation to simulate space travel, show that eating more salt made them less thirsty but somehow hungrier. Subsequent experiments found that mice burned more calories when they got more salt, eating 25 percent more just to maintain their weight.
stanley1

Return to The Lounge