Oprah should get Dr. McDougall to speak at her TV special

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Oprah should get Dr. McDougall to speak at her TV special

Postby QubitBob » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:24 pm

Oprah Winfrey will be hosting a TV special on ABC about the "weight loss revolution" made possible by Wegovy, Ozempic, and Mounjaro (see description here: https://tinyurl.com/y6n8862e ) .

Oh, how I would love to see Dr. McDougall at an event like this, but I know it will never happen. Instead the whole show is formulated from the outset to be little more than an infomercial promoting these drugs. I am sure they will talk about some of the possible side effects, but I am sure it will not approach an even-handed discussion weighing the pros and cons of these drugs. I wonder if there will be any discussion at all about how extremely expensive they are, and how a number of health plans have already had to quit covering their costs as they threatened to bankrupt them? As for me, I'm just glad I discovered Dr. McDougall's starch-centric, whole-food, plant-based way-of-eating, for it allows me to maintain a very healthy weight almost effortlessly, while still allowing me to eat delicious, satisfying food.
QubitBob

Re: Oprah should get Dr. McDougall to speak at her TV specia

Postby DynoDan » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:08 pm

QubitBob wrote:Oprah Winfrey will be hosting a TV special on ABC about the "weight loss revolution" made possible by Wegovy, Ozempic, and Mounjaro (see description here: https://tinyurl.com/y6n8862e ) .

Oh, how I would love to see Dr. McDougall at an event like this, but I know it will never happen. Instead the whole show is formulated from the outset to be little more than an infomercial promoting these drugs. I am sure they will talk about some of the possible side effects, but I am sure it will not approach an even-handed discussion weighing the pros and cons of these drugs. I wonder if there will be any discussion at all about how extremely expensive they are, and how a number of health plans have already had to quit covering their costs as they threatened to bankrupt them? As for me, I'm just glad I discovered Dr. McDougall's starch-centric, whole-food, plant-based way-of-eating, for it allows me to maintain a very healthy weight almost effortlessly, while still allowing me to eat delicious, satisfying food.

Yeah, Oprah cashed out of ‘Weight Watchers’ (and then likely bought pharma stocks ?). Funny, much is made of the cliche re: obesity being a ‘disease’. Of course, it IS (along with alcoholism, gambling, drug addiction, etc, etc.). But, the actual ‘disease’ is a combination of environmental influences (food marketing/availability/etc.) & the inability to suppress compulsion.
I can certainly empathize (the older I get, the harder it is, it seems, to resist cravings).
Odd though that there are few morbidly obese children in poor african/asian populations. Without american-style fast food availability & disposable wealth, those with the uncontrollable craving disease are SOL.
Peasant populations suffering thus (in the blue zones) can stuff themselves ‘until the cows come home’ (with veggies & rice), but I suspect their ‘disease’ never really gets out of hand. The ‘hand wringing’ on tv never gets around to the REAL issues either: Namely, those obese children alway have an obese parent. Whether that situation is genetic or environmental is beside the point:
Children who must work (exhausting daily chores) & do not have easy access to western-style high calorie food never become obese.
DynoDan

Return to The Lounge