hiking food ideas

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

hiking food ideas

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:42 am

Hi everyone! Long time no see. Life has sure gotten busy.

In April I'm hiking the Grand Canyon, and I'd love to hear everyone's ideas for food to pack with me. I'm hiking down South Kaibab and up Bright Angel in one day, a total of 16.5 miles and roughly 5,000 ft of elevation, and probably 12 hours. I've heard that dried fruit and nuts can feel a little heavy on the stomach, but would am interested to know what "McDougallers" like and also if you recommend an electrolyte water mix.

Let me know your experience! Thanks in advance.

Lindsey
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Re: hiking food ideas

Postby JeffN » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:17 am

Check this out on backpacking (I've done the Kaibab and Bright Angel trail a few times though not both in the same day.
https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... king+dried

This is on emergency food but there is much overlap
https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... ed#p569951

Jeff
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:17 am

Check this out on backpacking (I've done the Kaibab and Bright Angel trail a few times though not both in the same day.
https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... =22&t=6207

This is on emergency food but there is much overlap
https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... 1&#p569951

Jeff
JeffN

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:18 am

Thanks, Jeff!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Drew_ab » Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:20 am

Lyndzie wrote:Hi everyone! Long time no see. Life has sure gotten busy.

In April I'm hiking the Grand Canyon, and I'd love to hear everyone's ideas for food to pack with me. I'm hiking down South Kaibab and up Bright Angel in one day, a total of 16.5 miles and roughly 5,000 ft of elevation, and probably 12 hours. I've heard that dried fruit and nuts can feel a little heavy on the stomach, but would am interested to know what "McDougallers" like and also if you recommend an electrolyte water mix.

Let me know your experience! Thanks in advance.

Lindsey

I did a similar hike in the fall of 2022 and made sure that I ate a generous amount of food I had with me in the car right before departure. On the hike I ate dates and nuts, along with a generous serving of oats I had carried in my backpack about halfway through. I was quite hungry by the time I was done but things were totally fine. Personally, I don't find nuts/dried fruit to be heavy on the stomach (unless consumed in a very, very large quantity). I also do not recommend an electrolyte drink. Even when I was training for competitive long distance running and triathlon fuelled by a whole foods plant based diet, I rarely consumed electrolyte mixes. I even consulted with Dr. Esselstyn's son Rip who advised me that they are not needed unless you are training more than 2 hours per day. And he did compete at the professional level, so to me his advice does mean something!

My overall advice can be summed up as follows: bring calorie dense plant foods and enjoy the hike. It will be amazing! Your legs will feel very fatigued - not from going uphill but from going downhill.

I always find events like this interesting and insightful into other people's lives too. The next day most people in my hiking group were popping anti-inflammatories to reduce their muscle soreness. If they only knew how far a diet rich in plant foods would go in helping their recovery.
Drew_ab

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:37 pm

Thanks everyone. I did it! 16.1 miles and 5,000 feet of elevation in one day. It was A LOT.

We left at sunrise with temps in the 50's, and reached the canyon floor just after 10, with temps in the 90's.

I packed:
- fruit strips (fruit leather)
- clementines
- an apple
- dried cranberries
- Cava hummus
- baby carrots
- 365 woven wheat crackers
- breakfast potatoes (not WFPB)
- roughly 4 liters of water
- powdered Gatorade mix

For the most part, this was perfect. I had just the right amount of food to eat, and never felt dragged down after eating. I drank at least 3 liters of water, some plain, some with Gatorade mixed in.

In the future I will pack some boiled potatoes, but had to do the best I could with the circumstances and resources I had at the time. I would also like to have a nicer lunch, like chickpea tuna salad on Ezekiel bread, with grainy mustard, avocado, romaine and sliced tomato.

Due to the high altitude and extreme heat, I ended up needing to take salt tablets (which was a total game changer!). I had thought that Gatorade or some sort of electrolyte drink would be sufficient, but I started getting light headed about 3 miles from the end, and popped a salt pill to get relief very quickly. I'm so used to intentionally avoiding excess salt that it was a little surprising to find out that I really needed salt. I ended up using 3 salt tablets in total, and probably should have used them earlier in the day.

Added bonus, I am the only one in my group that isn't sore today (except for where my backpack was on my shoulders). It's probably more do to training than diet, bit it feels good to not be worn out.

I knew the Grand Canyon was big, but to experience it in this way really put it in perspective. Even just seeing it from the rim, you can't fully grasp the magnitude of it.

Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Return to The Lounge