Joe Rogan and Dr. Jordan Peterson

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Joe Rogan and Dr. Jordan Peterson

Postby DenverGuy » Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:44 pm

Big fan of Drs. McDougall, Barnard, etc., here.

A friend just sent me this video. We all know about Peterson's daughter, but now Jordan is on the carnivore diet. He's lost a ton of weight and has never felt better. All of the comments (except mine) are glowing.

I would love to be able to find a good response to this awful diet. I see it as a short term "fix" that will create long term problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLF29w6YqXs
DenverGuy

Re: Joe Rogan and Dr. Jordan Peterson

Postby openmind » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:11 pm

DenverGuy wrote:Big fan of Drs. McDougall, Barnard, etc., here.

A friend just sent me this video. We all know about Peterson's daughter, but now Jordan is on the carnivore diet. He's lost a ton of weight and has never felt better. All of the comments (except mine) are glowing.

I would love to be able to find a good response to this awful diet. I see it as a short term "fix" that will create long term problems.

There is no hope of any response of yours swaying anyone's mind.

Realistically, I don't see the majority of folks being able to afford eating like that day in and day out, so I think the standard American diet is a far bigger threat than the low carb diets.
openmind

Postby barryoilbegone » Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:31 pm

In looking up for something else recently, I saw Jordan Peterson's publicly posted blood results on the Lion Diet site after 5 years on this regime from March of this year. Apparently, supplement free over that period:

https://liondiet.com/vitamin-results-20 ... lion-diet/

I would love Dr McD to tackle this, and do a specific video and writing piece on it if he can - as it's undermining the starch/plant based and WFPB efforts to not address it, the longer it goes on. I submitted a question for the Sunday hour each week on YouTube with him and Mary before the first of those programs, as to what he feels is happening for Jordan and daughter here. It's never been answered though to date, which has been disappointing.

The closest explanation I can offer right now, assuming Jordan is not just lying about his intake (which people obviously can do, but he seems to place such a basis on integrity of the spoken word and aiming for truth for whatever he voices as his views, this doesn't seem likely): is he's invoking an Inuit/Eskimo type mechanism of using ketones, and muscle based glucose from meat? E.g. getting perhaps smaller amounts of glycogen and glucose from animal muscle and liver tissue, enough to keep him out of extended ketosis. And/or maybe he's someone that has some outlier ability to tolerate extended ketosis and lack of fibers for longer periods. That he's not contracted scurvy is a curious one as well.

He looks fairly thin and frail, but that in itself doesn't necessarily mean anything - I'm a slim marathoner and ultramarathoner, and I probably look "too thin" by some, but I (and perhaps he) don't easily put on weight I guess. I don't know actually if he's physically active or not, and if this would support endurance sports, but one I need to research I guess.

Dr McD / McD tea, please, please address this if you're reading. I'm plant based, mostly WFPB and starch based eating, and grateful for all health gains I've seen, but this really would be appreciated to clarify.
"All people are made alike - of bones and flesh and dinner. Only the dinners are different.”

Gertrude Louise Cheney
barryoilbegone

Postby Ejeff » Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:29 am

How awful to only eat meat and deprive yourself of the joy of eating fruits and vegetables! I can’t even imagine it. Hard to even fathom why a person would want to do it in the first place. Seems like a form of self inflicted torture to me.

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby DynoDan » Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:08 pm

Makes me wonder what drove early humans to migrate so far north, to where animals were the only source of sustenance much of the year (?). Go figure. I live in a temperate climate, and still feel like a hibernating bear, liberated when summer finally arrives (native arctic peoples couldn’t catch a plane for Fla. in the fall either).
DynoDan

Postby dinska » Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:21 am

Of course I would like to see Dr. McDougall speak on it because it is timely (although I doubt it is as popular as keto was a few years back), I do remember this video, though:

Eskimo Low Carb Diet Is Deadly - Dr. McDougall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6N8CJ_Wy9c

This was on the Veg Source channel, I don't know if Dr. McDougall has it posted on his own channel.
dinska

Postby MostlyPlantEater » Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:33 pm

Even tho I eat mostly WFPB, I do watch a lot of these videos and read the youTube comments from those who are eating strict carnivore diets. I seldom see any negative comments or ppl posting I was on this diet and I had a heart attack or I developed cancer. Every commenter seems to praise this diet and they talk about all the positive health benefits (weight loss, more energy, depression lifted, no more GERD, etc) that they have gotten from the diet. Most even say constipation isn't a problem despite meat having no fiber. How can this be? Why aren't these types of diet causing ppl to become sick as the PB docs allege and if they are, why are not the negative health consequences being talked about on the internet?

I personally think meat and dairy are bad and harmful to human health but I also think processed carb foods and sugar are just as harmful as the meat and the dairy. Dr. McD seems to downplay the harmful effects of too much sugar and simple carbs in the diet and I personally disagree with him on this. Even Dr. Caldwell Esselstyln says sugar damages the endothelium.

Even tho I love all the PB docs and I personally eat mostly WF plant-based, I keep an open mind and MDs like Dr. Robert Lustig makes a lotta good points that I agree with 100% when it comes to sugar, esp. fructose (not in fruit but in things like sodas and other processed foods).
MostlyPlantEater

Postby MostlyPlantEater » Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:40 pm

openmind wrote:
DenverGuy wrote:Big fan of Drs. McDougall, Barnard, etc., here.

There is no hope of any response of yours swaying anyone's mind.

Realistically, I don't see the majority of folks being able to afford eating like that day in and day out, so I think the standard American diet is a far bigger threat than the low carb diets.

Do you think SAD is worse than carnivore? In carnivore, you are eliminating the healthy and unhealthy carbs from the diet. In SAD, you are eliminating healthy carbs and eating carnivore + unhealthy carbs so perhaps SAD is the worst possible diet a human can eat......IDK but just IMO.
MostlyPlantEater

Postby openmind » Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:42 pm

barryoilbegone wrote:In looking up for something else recently, I saw Jordan Peterson's publicly posted blood results on the Lion Diet site after 5 years on this regime from March of this year. Apparently, supplement free over that period:

https://liondiet.com/vitamin-results-20 ... lion-diet/

I would love Dr McD to tackle this, and do a specific video and writing piece on it if he can - as it's undermining the starch/plant based and WFPB efforts to not address it, the longer it goes on. I submitted a question for the Sunday hour each week on YouTube with him and Mary before the first of those programs, as to what he feels is happening for Jordan and daughter here. It's never been answered though to date, which has been disappointing.

The closest explanation I can offer right now, assuming Jordan is not just lying about his intake (which people obviously can do, but he seems to place such a basis on integrity of the spoken word and aiming for truth for whatever he voices as his views, this doesn't seem likely): is he's invoking an Inuit/Eskimo type mechanism of using ketones, and muscle based glucose from meat? E.g. getting perhaps smaller amounts of glycogen and glucose from animal muscle and liver tissue, enough to keep him out of extended ketosis. And/or maybe he's someone that has some outlier ability to tolerate extended ketosis and lack of fibers for longer periods. That he's not contracted scurvy is a curious one as well.

He looks fairly thin and frail, but that in itself doesn't necessarily mean anything - I'm a slim marathoner and ultramarathoner, and I probably look "too thin" by some, but I (and perhaps he) don't easily put on weight I guess. I don't know actually if he's physically active or not, and if this would support endurance sports, but one I need to research I guess.

Dr McD / McD tea, please, please address this if you're reading. I'm plant based, mostly WFPB and starch based eating, and grateful for all health gains I've seen, but this really would be appreciated to clarify.

For the record, I tried the Atkins diet and ate only meat for a couple of weeks and ended up in the ER after collapsing on the bathroom floor. My wife found me there and thought I was having a stroke. Turns out, I was dehydrated and had a potassium deficiency.

Maybe there is some secret that Peterson has, but overall, the low carb diet can be very dangerous. At least from my experience.
openmind

Postby awest27 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:48 am

openmind wrote: Turns out, I was dehydrated and had a potassium deficiency.

Maybe there is some secret that Peterson has, but overall, the low carb diet can be very dangerous. At least from my experience.

That's caused by all the water loss which flushes out your electrolytes. People on these diets often take electrolyte supplements and magnesium and potassium.
awest27

Return to The Lounge