Cabbage

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Cabbage

Postby landog » Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:33 pm

I had this thought today..

How come I like cabbage now when I used to not like cabbage? :)
landog

Re: Cabbage

Postby Ejeff » Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:10 am

They say our taste buds do change, that the more we eat something the more we crave it. I have found that to be very true, so if you are now liking cabbage perhaps it’s because you have been eating it more often.

That’s my theory :-D

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby VeggieSue » Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:43 am

landog wrote:How come I like cabbage now when I used to not like cabbage? :)

I used to absolutely loathe lima beans, and now it's one of my favorite foods.

As for cabbage, any time I had it as a kid it was smothered with salty meat and grease and tasted terrific. :lol: Now, making it with none of those, maybe some lower sodium/salt free vegetable broth and accompanied by carrots, onions, and potatoes instead of kielbasa, it's just "OK" and no longer terrific.
VeggieSue

Postby DynoDan » Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:17 pm

Go figure. ‘Dinosaur’ kale looks like something I once would have regarded as ‘unfit for human consumption’. I can’t actually describe what it tastes like even, but now all salads are VERY bland without it, and I typically drive an hour out of my way every week to load up on it.
DynoDan

Postby landog » Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:31 pm

VeggieSue wrote:I used to absolutely loathe lima beans, and now it's one of my favorite foods.
As for cabbage...it's just "OK" and no longer terrific.

I still can't do lima beans! But, the cabbage is just cut up and steamed - I'm amazed how much I enjoy it!
landog

Postby f1jim » Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:54 am

I have a laundry list of foods I like now that I used to hate. Maybe it has to do with age.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby debknott » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:13 am

f1jim wrote:I have a laundry list of foods I like now that I used to hate. Maybe it has to do with age.
f1jim

I agree with your theory. I'm that way with lots of foods too. For example, as a child I hated oatmeal. Now I truly love it! But I still hate kale. :rolleyes:
debknott

Return to The Lounge