White Rice and Type 2 Diabetes

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

White Rice and Type 2 Diabetes

Postby DenverGuy » Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:15 pm

Dr. McDougall says that white rice does not cause diabetes - animal products do. Then I see stuff like this, which leads to confusion.

ABSTRACT
Background: Refined carbohydrates have been suggested to deteriorate glucose metabolism; however, whether persons with elevated intakes of white rice, which is a major staple food for the Japanese, experience increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes remains unclear.

Results: A total of 1103 new cases of type 2 diabetes were self-reported. There was a significant association between rice intake and an increased risk of type 2 diabetes in women; the multivariate-adjusted odds ratio for the highest compared with lowest quartiles of rice intake was 1.65 (95% CI: 1.06, 2.57; P for trend = 0.005). In men, the association was unclear, although there was a suggestion of a positive association in persons who were not engaged in strenuous physical activity (P for trend = 0.08).

Conclusions: Elevated intake of white rice is associated with an increased risk of type 2 diabetes in Japanese women. The finding that is suggestive of a positive association of rice intake in physically inactive men deserves further investigation.

Source:
The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Volume 92, Issue 6, December 2010, Pages 1468–1477, https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.2010.29512
Published: 27 October 2010 Article history
DenverGuy

Re: White Rice and Type 2 Diabetes

Postby f1jim » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:13 am

My initial take on this study is that we need to look at the Japanese diet in total. As the years go by their diet gets worse and worse. White rice in an otherwise great diet is probably relatively harmless. In a diet where fiber and other associated nutrients are missing then white rice is probably a problem. I tend to think about those that follow a McDougall diet rather adherently. those people probably can get away with white rice with little issues. But on a conventional Western diet white rice only compounds the issues of poor diet. Conventional Western diets are devoid of fiber. Take it out of rice and you make for an even worse, diabetic inducing diet.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Re: White Rice and Type 2 Diabetes

Postby EmmetFitzhume » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:21 am

It may be that these studies that say white rice is bad don't control for other aspects of the diet. Maybe Japanese that eat a lot of white rice also are eating a lot of other unhealthier items..

Dr. McDougall is fond of talking about the Kempner rice diet which was used to reverse condition like diabetes, kidney problems, high blood pressure and artery disease. Kempner fed people lots of WHITE rice....

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/i ... rice-diet/
EmmetFitzhume

Return to The Lounge