New Mammogram Recommendations: Discussion

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: New Mammogram Recommendations: Discussion

Postby CarrotTopsRGreen » Wed May 10, 2023 8:15 am

As I recall, Dr. McDougall considers routine mammograms to be "patient mongering." I have had two "suspicious" mammograms that caused me stress as well as several hundred dollars in unnecessary ultrasounds and a biopsy. The spot they were worried about was so tiny that the radiologist had trouble even finding it. I was so angry when I had to shell out a lot of money and after spending several sleepless nights worrying about breast cancer. I now tell my doctors "No, thank you" when they urge me to get this "life-saving" screening. I am 67 and had my first mammogram sometime in my 40s.
CarrotTopsRGreen

Postby CarrotTopsRGreen » Fri May 12, 2023 7:47 am

Is there anyone even on this Forum any more? So disappointed not to have any views at all on my post...something I am concerned about. Very sad...this was once a very active Forum.
CarrotTopsRGreen

Postby JeffN » Fri May 12, 2023 8:09 am

CarrotTopsRGreen wrote:Is there anyone even on this Forum any more? So disappointed not to have any views at all on my post...something I am concerned about. Very sad...this was once a very active Forum.

Your post has over 50 views in the last 48 hours since it was posted. :)

As I have mentioned before, it goes two ways, if you want an active discussion board, you have to participate on a regular basis to making and keeping it active. :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby MikeyG » Fri May 12, 2023 10:14 am

This jumped out at me from the recommendation:

"All-cause mortality was not reduced with screening for any age group."

https://www.uspreventiveservicestaskfor ... ing-adults
MikeyG

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:37 pm

Thanks for posting this. I just turned 40, and got "the talk" about mammograms from my care provider. I generally follow Dr. McDougall's general advice, and will continue to do so.

I wish that I got email notifications when someone responded to the thread. Is there a way to turn that on?
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby JeffN » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:37 am

Lyndzie wrote:Thanks for posting this. I just turned 40, and got "the talk" about mammograms from my care provider. I generally follow Dr. McDougall's general advice, and will continue to do so.

I wish that I got email notifications when someone responded to the thread. Is there a way to turn that on?

The new forums will have that ability again

Jeff
JeffN

Return to The Lounge