Kidney Disease in Older Adults

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Kidney Disease in Older Adults

Postby CarrotTopsRGreen » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:14 am

Good morning. My 92-y/o father was recently hospitalized with a variety of ailments. He had to be catheterized because he was not passing his urine. His chart indicates 'stage 3 kidney disease' was diagnosed several years ago, but neither he nor his wife nor any of his adult children had any knowledge of this. A sibling asked his PCP about it, and the answer was "most older adults have kidney disease."

Have any of you ever heard of this? I had not. I am now wondering if my husband and I, both in our 60s, should be doing something specific to avoid kidney disease; specifically diet. Can a starch-based diet forestall developing kidney disease? We still don't know who, when, and by what method kidney disease was discovered - or if it is just a supposition on the part of some doctor due to his age. He has had urinary tract problems for years, but we understood it was a result of an enlarged prostate.

My father ate the typical American diet and was quite overweight at one point, but over the past couple of years, he lost most of his appetite and became dangerously underweight and had to be encouraged to eat. He also never liked vegetables much and to this day, will tell my husband and me we don't get enough protein, so you get the picture.

He has been suffering off and on for the past two weeks from delusions - seeing things that aren't there; talking to people long dead; accusing family members of various things - where up until now, his cognitive function has been pretty good for a person in his 90s. He gets worse when they withdraw the Foley catheter, so we are drawing the conclusion that his urinary tract health has something to do with his mental state.
CarrotTopsRGreen

Re: Kidney Disease in Older Adults

Postby CarrotTopsRGreen » Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:17 am

Somebody? Anybody?
:-(
CarrotTopsRGreen

Postby Starflower » Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:28 am

CarrotTopsRGreen wrote:Somebody? Anybody?
:-(

Hi CarrotTopsRGreen, :)

I’m sorry you and your father are having this trouble. I hope these suggestions help.

There is a section by Dr. McDougall about kidney disease on the site that is a good start.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/common-health-problems/kidney-disease/

Some of your questions about what happened to your father really should be answered by someone who works with kidney patients. Maybe you could email Dr. McDougall? Have you tried finding (non-dietary) information from organizations that advocate for kidney patients, like the National Kidney Foundation?

https://www.kidney.org/

Wishing you and your family the best! :)
This journey is one of constant small adjustments. Nothing is ever static, no matter how long you've been eating this way. If something isn't working, you tweak it and make small changes until it works better.
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby f1jim » Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:33 am

Both of my 91 year old parents have kidney disease. eGFR numbers in the high 20's. I know several seniors with kidney disease. The dialysis clinics are a booming growth industry around me with companies everywhere offering this service. Kidney disease is rampant.
I have stage 4 kidney disease stemming from an aortic dissection I suffered 17 years ago. My kidney doctor thinks I am low risk for further problems because my blood pressure and diet are conducive to good kidney health. Most people that suffer aortic dissections go immediately to dialysis. Got my fingers crossed!
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby VeggieSue » Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:47 pm

CarrotTopsRGreen wrote:He has been suffering off and on for the past two weeks from delusions - seeing things that aren't there; talking to people long dead; accusing family members of various things - where up until now, his cognitive function has been pretty good for a person in his 90s. He gets worse when they withdraw the Foley catheter, so we are drawing the conclusion that his urinary tract health has something to do with his mental state.

I worked many years in long term care facilities, and yes, urinary problems can sometimes lead to mental health problems. One of the first things we usually checked when a usually cognitive resident would start getting confused or delusional was whether or not they had a urinary tract infection. Just about every time, they did, and once on antibiotics for treatment their mental state improved back to normal.
VeggieSue

Postby CarrotTopsRGreen » Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:38 am

Thank you. He was tested multiple times for UTI and other infections and they keep saying he has none. The doctors just keep saying, "Well, he is old." It's probably too late at 92 to turn his health around, but I'd like to do whatever my husband and I can do to avoid having the same thing happening to us. My Dad also has wet macular degeneration, prostate issues, and has had several stents put in several years ago, and some other things, so he has had many health challenges in his later years.
CarrotTopsRGreen

Postby Taggart » Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:59 am

What worked for me, may not work for others.

Back in the 1990's when I was in my forties, I had urinary tract infections on at least three separate occasions. The first time the doctors thought it was STD until the lab tests proved otherwise. They were surprised and I was told it was rare for a male to get UTI.

The last bout of UTI almost killed me, so I slowly started changing my diet. One thing I included was drinking a large glass of cranberry juice every morning.

One day I came to realize, why drink the cranberry juice? I can add frozen cranberries while cooking my oats porridge every morning. Now I cook in some frozen blueberries as well, and add more fresh blueberries along with pomegranate seeds on top of the now cooked oats. Delicious and all three fruit good for the urinary tract. Look it up, though it may be more beneficial to some people than others.

On the odd occasion, I'll get a fishy smell in my urine, so I'll take a cranberry pill. That occurs only maybe two or three times a year, and the pill seems to make the problem disappear within a few hours.

I'm 73 now and I haven't had another bout of UTI in over twenty five years.
Taggart

Return to The Lounge