By accident doing rice diet

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

By accident doing rice diet

Postby toad » Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:23 pm

I am trying to save money and catch up on bills. I have a big bag of basmati rice I have been eating last few days, don't want to buy more food, I'm on a tight budget.
Lost a couple pounds, it's only been two days. wondering if it's okay to do like the rice diet Kempler did? I've been using just vegetable broth to flavour the rice, but should I be using sugar?
toad

Re: By accident doing rice diet

Postby michaelswarm » Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:15 pm

Often I make a simple meal of just steamed brown rice, served with a steamed vegetable of whatever type I have on hand, often just cleaning out the refrigerator. I also have leftover brown rice for breakfast with some orange juice. Kids like this for breakfast. We just call it Sweet Rice. (Eat the rest of the orange later as a snack.)

The rice should provide enough energy, and a helping of vegetables for vitamins and minerals. Cereals alone lack adequate vitamins and minerals, but also you don’t need to eat tons of vegetables.
michaelswarm

Re: By accident doing rice diet

Postby MINNIE » Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:21 pm

This is a starch based diet, so eating the rice should be fine. Adding some veggies is good advice, (and beans if you like them) -and if you lose some weight all the better.

I also like brown rice with fruit for breakfast - since I usually have some cooked rice available it's a quick meal.
MINNIE

Return to The Lounge