Turmeric/black pepper/cinnamon/ginger tea

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Turmeric/black pepper/cinnamon/ginger tea

Postby DenverGuy » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:57 am

I have been reading about how good these ingredients are when you add hot water. I threw 'em together and it wasn't good.
I then read about black tea, ginger, and cinnamon and how it's good for fighting cold and flu.

I would like to get turmeric/curcumin and black pepper every day. It's not easy. (I am under the impression that you need 1/4 teaspoon for each teaspoon of turmeric).

Any ideas of a hot drink that combines the best of these?
DenverGuy

Re: Turmeric/black pepper/cinnamon/ginger tea

Postby michaelswarm » Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:05 pm

DenverGuy

I make a plain ginger tea. I also make a ginger tea with cinnamon, cardamom and black peppercorn, whole spices. Sometimes I add a splash or almond milk to make a chai like tea.

Turmeric can be bitter. I use only sparingly in curries, whether powder or fresh. I wouldn’t add to tea, but to each their own.

My advice would be start with a very simple tea base that you like, then experiment adding small amounts of a spice or two that you like. Always use whole spices, not powders. You can get whole spices from an ethic grocery like an Indian grocer, or a good dry goods or spice shop, or online.

For quantity, I started with a dozen slices of ginger root. I now use a couple of inches of root, and keep simmering and adding water throughout the day. I can have a cup in the morning, another at noon, and a third in late afternoon.

I don’t use for any supposed health benefit, but as a coffee habit replacement.
michaelswarm

Re: Turmeric/black pepper/cinnamon/ginger tea

Postby MINNIE » Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:18 pm

I use ginger root too as a caffeinated beverage substitute. I tried adding other spices, but it just tastes better to me on its own.

You might try combining two of the ingredients at a time in water and see if they are more palatable. Or just drink black tea with a meal that you season with pepper, cinnamon and turmeric - if that's easier.

I don't know why drinking spices would be any better than eating them, so do what works for you.
MINNIE

Return to The Lounge