TV cooking shows

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

TV cooking shows

Postby DynoDan » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:43 pm

I perceive that the often used expression ‘healthy’, should in reality be pronounced ‘healthier’. All the med./jap. diet nonsense overlooks the fact that a lifetime of consuming the ‘standard American diet’ cannot be reversed by drowning a lot of vegetables in olive oil. If everyone ate ONLY those TV dishes from childhood, we would all be living in ‘blue zones’. While doubtless better, for many of us those recipes are ‘too little too late’. It is a tragedy that fact is generally ignored.
DynoDan

Re: TV cooking shows

Postby barryoilbegone » Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:59 am

Yep, TV cooking shows have a lot to answer for in terms of health.

The Great Bake Off shows for example have been a huge hit here in the UK where I am, and elsewhere - but unfortunately normalise whole new generations, as well as the older ones that they need animal products, oils, and refined sugar in their lives and it's normal. Even vegan friendly baking uses typically the latter of those two. Ditto for MasterChef, or Saturday Kitchen here too.

If cooking shows did WFPB recipes a lot, I'd suspect the public would be a lot more willing to try them - YouTube is then the camp of these, and there are some good channels there - like Cooking with Plants, and The Whole Food Plant Based Cooking Show are fantastic faves of mine - but they're far from mainstream.

If we could get a TV celebrity chef with pizzaz and mass media appeal, they'd probably ironically make more converts of people to healthier eating in a year than Dr McD and colleagues have managed in 40. And that's no disrespect to Dr McD or the rest either - they've likely saved my life, and might again.
"All people are made alike - of bones and flesh and dinner. Only the dinners are different.”

Gertrude Louise Cheney
barryoilbegone

Postby JeffN » Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:46 pm

Former actress turned animal activist Pamela Anderson has landed her very own plant-based cooking show with a major TV network. Here are all the details we know so far…

https://www.veganfoodandliving.com/news ... king-show/
JeffN

Postby VeggieSue » Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:24 pm

JeffN wrote:Former actress turned animal activist Pamela Anderson has landed her very own plant-based cooking show with a major TV network. Here are all the details we know so far…

https://www.veganfoodandliving.com/news ... king-show/

Looks ike it's only Food Network Canada, though.
VeggieSue

Postby debknott » Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:14 pm

WOW! If that comes to the US it could well make a big difference in how Americans eat. :)
debknott

Postby Matcha » Wed May 10, 2023 6:36 pm

Matcha

Return to The Lounge