ChatGPT

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

ChatGPT

Postby michaelswarm » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:22 am

Been considerable interest lately in computer community about new chat bot called ChatGPT. Demonstrates at scale the advances in research that occurred in the last decade or so in natural language. It creates computer generated human language answers to user queries. Some think it might someday replace search engines like Google. I don't know about that, but it's been fun to play with.

The quality of output depends very much on the quality of the input. It's notorious for giving wrong answers, that sound convincing. I tried a couple of questions related to diet and health, to test the extent of it's depth.

Can you explain the justification for healing with whole food plant based foods in style of doctors Dean Ornish, Caldwell Esselstyn, Neil Barnard and John McDougall?

Yes. The aforementioned doctors advocate for a whole food plant-based diet for disease prevention and treatment due to its health benefits, such as:

- Lower risk of chronic diseases: A plant-based diet is rich in antioxidants, fiber, and phytochemicals which help prevent chronic diseases such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and certain cancers.
- Lower rates of obesity: Plant-based diets are typically lower in calories, saturated fat and oil, which can lead to weight loss and lower rates of obesity.
- Improved heart health: Plant-based diets are low in saturated fat and cholesterol, which can reduce the risk of heart disease.
Better blood sugar control: A plant-based diet can improve insulin sensitivity and glycemic control in individuals with type 2 diabetes.
- Anti-inflammatory effects: A plant-based diet can help reduce chronic inflammation in the body, which is associated with a range of diseases.

These doctors argue that a whole food plant-based diet can effectively reverse and prevent chronic diseases, and is a safe, effective, and affordable approach to health.

And this too...

puedes respuesta en español?

Sí, puedo responder en español. ¿En qué puedo ayudarte hoy?

Puedes explicar la justificación sobre la curación con una dieta basada en plantas integrales en el estilo de los doctores Dean Ornish, Caldwell Esselstyn, Neil Barnard y John McDougall?

Los médicos Dean Ornish, Caldwell Esselstyn, Neil Barnard y John McDougall argumentan que una dieta basada en plantas integrales es la mejor forma de prevenir y tratar enfermedades crónicas como la enfermedad cardíaca, la diabetes y ciertos tipos de cáncer. Estos médicos sostienen que los alimentos de origen animal y procesados contienen grasas y otros ingredientes perjudiciales para la salud, mientras que una dieta basada en plantas integrales ofrece una amplia variedad de nutrientes esenciales y ayuda a mantener un peso saludable. Además, afirman que una dieta basada en plantas integrales puede ayudar a reducir el estrés y mejorar la función inmunológica, lo que puede contribuir a una vida más saludable en general.

And finally...

What is the optimal diet for human health?

There is no single "optimal" diet for human health, as individual nutritional needs can vary based on factors such as age, sex, weight, and activity level. However, many health organizations recommend a diet that emphasizes whole, unprocessed foods, such as fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and lean protein sources, while limiting intake of added sugars, saturated and trans fats, and excessive amounts of salt.

Ok, wrong on no optimal diet, and wrong on lean protein sources. But pretty good summary otherwise.
michaelswarm

Re: ChatGPT

Postby debknott » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:39 pm

Indeed, that search engine really did quite a good job of answering your questions. I would have expected that it would have answered your second question with something much more like the SAD diet. It does show that the good information is getting out there! :)
debknott

Postby QubitBob » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:36 pm

michaelswarm,

Thanks for the fun post. I think I first noticed headlines about ChatGPT in December, but I didn't understand what it is and I didn't pay much attention to it. Then, a couple of weeks ago, there was a lengthy story about it in the New York Times, so I took the time to read it and I began to get a better understanding of what it is.

There was an informative story about ChatGBT on the CBS Sunday Morning show about two weeks ago. They had a female "voice actor" read the output to make it more interesting to a TV audience (it reminded me of the computer on the Star Trek Next Generation show). Here is a link to the story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MZs44gSIwg
QubitBob

Postby f1jim » Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:52 pm

ChatGPT is making companies like Google sweat these days. They are seriously worried about it's effect on their searching business.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby openmind » Mon May 01, 2023 3:51 am

f1jim wrote:ChatGPT is making companies like Google sweat these days. They are seriously worried about it's effect on their searching business.
f1jim

I've actually found ChatGPT to be a very useful tool in McDougalling. Today I have a craving for something with Potato, Onions and Mushrooms. I could file through my recipe cards or:

Prompt: give me a no fat vegan recipe with potato and onion and mushrooms and no more than 5 ingredients altogether

Response:
Vegan Potato, Onion, and Mushroom Skillet

Ingredients:

2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1 medium onion, sliced
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup vegetable broth or water
Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:

Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
Add the diced potatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes until lightly browned.
Add the sliced onion and cook for another 2-3 minutes until the onion is translucent.
Add the sliced mushrooms and cook for another 3-4 minutes until the mushrooms are tender.
Pour the vegetable broth or water over the vegetables and stir well.
Cover the skillet and let the vegetables cook for another 5-7 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.

This simple dish is filling and flavorful, with no added fat. It's perfect for a quick and easy weeknight dinner or a healthy side dish.
openmind

Postby f1jim » Mon May 01, 2023 8:43 am

I will have to try it for other recipes. This will be interesting to see if trends develop in what it chooses to provide.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby MINNIE » Mon May 01, 2023 12:46 pm

This is really interesting. I haven't tried asking AI any questions yet, but by coincidence, one of mine has been answered. I just got back from grocery shopping shopping with a sack of potatoes and a bunch of mushrooms. Wasn't sure what I would make, so I logged into the forums to look for some inspiration.

Thanks to humans asking the right questions, and robots answering, I now know what's for dinner.

That's kind of food for thought :) !
MINNIE

Return to The Lounge