Not alone (my peptalk to myself today)

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Not alone (my peptalk to myself today)

Postby SilverMtns » Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:50 pm

I was talking to my partner today about what things I could order at local restaurants that might be McDougall friendly*. And he said, "Well, I figure that once your heart issue gets straightened out, you'll stop McDougalling." I just said, "Yeah, maybe, but maybe not" and moved on, but honestly? I don't want to ever stop this. So I had to give myself a little pep talk:

1. I am not alone. I have you all, and the books, and videos, plus years of on-and-off compliance
2. My partner isn't being unsupportive; he eats with me, cooks compliant foods for me, and wants me to be well. He's just seen how it usually goes, and hey, he may be right. I may go back to non-McDougall eating in the future. It does me no good to try to predict that.
3. I get to choose this TODAY, even if tomorrow brings a different set of choices. Plus, every day I eat good, nutritious foods is another day I've done what I need to strive towards health.

* Not much, but we do have a vegetarian place that just opened up that might be amenable to finding me something they make that they can present without oil or animal products, and there's a place here that serves good baked potatoes and I could get those on their own, etc.
SilverMtns

Re: Not alone (my peptalk to myself today)

Postby barryoilbegone » Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:53 pm

Brave post in a way SilverMtns, and respect it. In the forums we see often those who are long term compliant 100% (or seem to be - big difference). But you're much more typical of the typical person out there coming to terms with things, and struggling out there each day. Read a lot of myself in what you wrote, and write here.

You're not alone.

I'm trying to make a vow to myself to try and put other things in place of vegan foods with either oil, and/or isolated plant proteins in 2023 as much as possible. It's not animal foods that derail me at times, it's those two food groups.

I use no added oil at home for anything, and probably have been 75% WFPB in the festive season and immediate aftermath, but I need to get back towards the wagon. Hate though in trying that, for recent food economy, there seem to be very few WFPB discounted bargain foods, but a number of vegan meat, dairy and egg analogues regularly are. Sigh.

Keeping in there - hope you can too.
"All people are made alike - of bones and flesh and dinner. Only the dinners are different.”

Gertrude Louise Cheney
barryoilbegone

Postby SilverMtns » Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:31 pm

barryoilbegone wrote:Brave post in a way SilverMtns, and respect it. In the forums we see often those who are long term compliant 100% (or seem to be - big difference). But you're much more typical of the typical person out there coming to terms with things, and struggling out there each day. Read a lot of myself in what you wrote, and write here.

You're not alone.

I'm trying to make a vow to myself to try and put other things in place of vegan foods with either oil, and/or isolated plant proteins in 2023 as much as possible. It's not animal foods that derail me at times, it's those two food groups.

I use no added oil at home for anything, and probably have been 75% WFPB in the festive season and immediate aftermath, but I need to get back towards the wagon. Hate though in trying that, for recent food economy, there seem to be very few WFPB discounted bargain foods, but a number of vegan meat, dairy and egg analogues regularly are. Sigh.

Keeping in there - hope you can too.

Thanks very much for this. I am mostly okay with being imperfect, but this is something I have been striving for and it really does make me feel better, so I'm hoping that just making sure to hang out in these friendly spaces and gently reinforcing my boundaries will do it. So far this time, so good. We'll do this together!
SilverMtns

Postby SilverMtns » Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:01 pm

Tried something new today. I really really really wanted to just eat a pile of fried things, and yet I really really really REALLY didn't want to break my streak. So instead, I found treats in the house that are compliant, but not things I want to eat every day (a few olives, a fruit popsicle, and a hot pretzel). I tell you, it was amazing! It felt like I was eating fun food and not just starchy vegetables (which are fine, but sometimes I want fun foods) and when I was done, I felt happy and satisfied, not sick, bloated, and regretful. So happy!
SilverMtns

Postby sirdle » Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:54 pm

SilverMtns wrote:Tried something new today. I really really really wanted to just eat a pile of fried things, and yet I really really really REALLY didn't want to break my streak. So instead, I found treats in the house that are compliant, but not things I want to eat every day...

That is a huge win!

My favourite 'fun food' is Cathy Fisher's Apple-Pineapple Crisp. Obviously not for every day because of the risk of overeating, but I usually keep the ingredients in the house. Takes about an hour to make, so I have to really want something sweet but compliant.

Cheers,
sirdle
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby SilverMtns » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:23 am

sirdle wrote:
SilverMtns wrote:Tried something new today. I really really really wanted to just eat a pile of fried things, and yet I really really really REALLY didn't want to break my streak. So instead, I found treats in the house that are compliant, but not things I want to eat every day...

That is a huge win!

My favourite 'fun food' is Cathy Fisher's Apple-Pineapple Crisp. Obviously not for every day because of the risk of overeating, but I usually keep the ingredients in the house. Takes about an hour to make, so I have to really want something sweet but compliant.

Cheers,
sirdle

Thank you, and great tip!
SilverMtns

Postby sirdle » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:22 am

You're welcome! :-P

A caveat: having the ingredients 'in the house' means having walnuts and dates around all the time. Since I don't actually like the taste of walnuts or dates by themselves, these aren't trigger foods for me. But, as I'm sure you understand, the idea isn't to have this exact recipe on hand, but rather, something that you can throw together in a pinch that will satisfy a once-in-a-while craving, but not be constantly calling to you!

Cheers,
sirdle
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby SilverMtns » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:57 am

Yeah, I'm the same way about walnuts and dates, and to be honest, I would probably pick a different "treat" food since I don't have a sweet tooth. I'm thinking maybe the fat-free Woven Wheats crackers or something similar -- salty, and I like them, but I wouldn't binge on them.
SilverMtns

Postby sirdle » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:58 am

Sounds like a great plan!

Cheers,
sirdle
sirdle

Postby SilverMtns » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:42 pm

I'm on day 12, with a strong desire to give up (this is longer than I usually stay on any diet) but I'm still giving myself pep talks:

* How will I know how it works if I give up?
* It's only been 12 days; give it a year and then decide what's next!
* You like this food. You're just throwing a tantrum because there's yummier food that you're not "allowed" to eat. But you're allowed, for real, you've just chosen not to. Like a grownup.

Happy to hear what you all tell yourselves when you want to quit and successfully keep McDougalling!
SilverMtns

Postby sirdle » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:23 pm

SilverMtns wrote:I'm on day 12, with a strong desire to give up (this is longer than I usually stay on any diet) but I'm still giving myself pep talks:

Happy to hear what you all tell yourselves when you want to quit and successfully keep McDougalling!

I read through the daily journals of others who have struggled and succeded. Reading about their doubts and insecurities, and then watching them succeed anyway is very inspiring (for me).

I especially liked Geo's testimonial and 1-year journal.

Cheers,
sirdle
sirdle

Postby SilverMtns » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:16 pm

sirdle wrote:
I especially liked Geo's testimonial and 1-year journal.

Thank you!
SilverMtns

Postby Ejeff » Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:27 am

SilverMtns,

Just trying to understand, why do you think you had a strong desire to give up on day 12? If you can understand why you felt that way it might help you to make adjustments. For example, are your feeling too hungry? Are you not enjoying your food? Are you missing the previously unhealthy foods you think of as yummy?

If it is any of these things, perhaps work to resolve those. The first one is easy to fix. On this plan you don’t ever have to feel extremely hungry. It’s wonderful, just eat whenever hungry and stop when reasonably full.

If you are not enjoying your food, perhaps you need to add a sauce you enjoy or include a bit more variety.

If you are missing the unhealthy foods you remember as yummy, recreate a healthy version. I think this has been the number one thing that allows me to stick with this plan. If I crave Mac and cheese, I have it, but I make the sauce with potatoes and carrots and it’s so creamy and delicious. You mentioned you prefer a salty treat. Chubby potato chips with salt would be a super tasty snack.

I would also say what helps me is to not think of this as a diet with a start and end date. It’s not about hitting a finish line and then eating unhealthy food again. That hasn’t worked in the past for most people. It’s more about keeping focused on just eating the starches, beans, fruits and veggies.

You got this, just keep going one day at a time, we are all here to support you.

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby bonnieannatlanta » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:52 am

SilverMtns wrote:Yeah, I'm the same way about walnuts and dates, and to be honest, I would probably pick a different "treat" food since I don't have a sweet tooth. I'm thinking maybe the fat-free Woven Wheats crackers or something similar -- salty, and I like them, but I wouldn't binge on them.

I don't have a sweet tooth either but after being on SS MWL since 1/2/23 I noticed that I need to have something easy, compliant, and snack worthy around to ward off SAD snacks (so I don't become a sad sack?). I am going to make a bunch of compliantly seasoned tasty a$$ crispy chickpeas and then when I want some I will just reheat them in the air fryer. :-)
bonnieannatlanta

Postby barryoilbegone » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:13 am

Keep in there - 12 days is great going :)

I've always liked what Dr Pamela Popper has said on the likes of SOS and animal foods, and junk food generally - 'if it's in your house, it's in your mouth'. This is tough if family or housemates are off plan/un cooperative - but if you've the supportive spouse as said, you can ask them to keep this stuff out of your view at least, and preferably in their own space.

And trying to satiate ourselves with those beautiful starches, and the fruit, vegetables and beans, is the challenge: and a challenge for us all, but glad you're putting this at top of emotional list for yourself.
"All people are made alike - of bones and flesh and dinner. Only the dinners are different.”

Gertrude Louise Cheney
barryoilbegone

Next

Return to The Lounge