Interesting Article About Harvard Dietician Doctor

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Interesting Article About Harvard Dietician Doctor

Postby DenverGuy » Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:05 am

He runs the Department of Nutrition at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.
https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/ ... er-longer/

The fact that is guy is okay with chicken and fish is puzzling. It's disconcerting to see both sides of this when both are well-respected. It adds to the confusion.
Any thoughts?
DenverGuy

Re: Interesting Article About Harvard Dietician Doctor

Postby QubitBob » Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:13 pm

It sounds like Dr. Wu took over for Walter Willett as head of the Department of Nutrition at Harvard's T.H. Chan School of Public Health. I became aware of Dr. Willett when I bought his book, Eat, Drink, and be Healthy in 2000. That was when I was just becoming aware of the role of diet in health.

Overall, this department promotes what I would call the Mediterranean Diet. They do not promote a vegan diet, though they do promote a very plant-heavy diet. My take on things is that this diet is a big improvement over what the vast majority of Americans eat, but it is not optimal. For optimal results you have to adopt a low-fat, whole-food, plant-based diet like those promoted by Drs. McDougall, Esselstyn, Ornish, Barnard, etc.
QubitBob

Re: Interesting Article About Harvard Dietician Doctor

Postby DynoDan » Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:19 pm

While it’s been a long time since I’ve been able to manage it, I still believe 100% compliance produces a magnified benefit (likely an additional incentive to resist temptation).
DynoDan

Return to The Lounge