"New Guidelines for Treating Childhood Obesity...."

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

"New Guidelines for Treating Childhood Obesity...."

Postby Lizzy_F » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:30 pm

New guidelines for treating childhood obesity include medications and surgery for first time
The American Academy of Pediatrics updated its recommendations on childhood obesity for the first time in 15 years.

As reported by NBC News..

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/kids-hea ... -rcna64651

I am so sad and shocked to read this, I don't even know what to say. Medication and surgery are now being promoted as positive options for obese children age 12 and up. :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

"The new guidelines emphasize that obesity is a complex and chronic condition without a simple fix. Intensive behavioral and lifestyle changes should be the first-line approach, but the AAP also includes recommendations for anti-obesity medications and surgery for the first time. These novel recommendations are in response to a windfall of research and drug approvals in the past few years. "

The sad part is how simple the fix really is! It's only made complicated and/or difficult by our toxic food environment as promoted by Big Food with the help of FDA, USDA, etc. I generally stay far far away from political topics, but this just hurts my heart and makes me so angry. :mad: :crybaby: :mad: :crybaby: :mad: :crybaby:
Beth

"Long-term sustainable change is what we are really after." ~Jeff Novick
Lizzy_F

Re: "New Guidelines for Treating Childhood Obesity...."

Postby michaelswarm » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:10 pm

"Intensive behavioral and lifestyle changes should be the first-line approach, ….”
Except very likely wrong and ineffective directions.

“ includes recommendations for anti-obesity medications and surgery for the first time. “
More wrong and ineffective.

Just tragedy all around.

Knowledge and persuasion are two different things. I now have great respect for scientific revolutions, because I now realize, that great scientists did not just discover, but they also persuaded, successfully as history shows us.

Darwin is good example. Wallace also had similar theory, and communicated with Darwin. But Darwin told a story, and networked with the scientific society in London, and corresponded to peers around the world. Darwin had his voyage on the Beagle, and his collections. He persuaded. And it still took a century for most of medicine to accept evolution.
michaelswarm

Return to The Lounge