WFPB yet very high cholesterol

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

WFPB yet very high cholesterol

Postby Elsie » Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:30 pm

I’m freaking out a lot. I have been following Dr McDougall for many years (over 8 very strictly). just got my blood panel results LDL 220 and Tryglicerides 223 Total cholesterol 300. I’m in my early 70’s moderately active (use a rebounder, walk, yoga, light weight lifting). I feel great.

The only deviations from strict McDougalling are that I do have sugar in some of my sauces like ketchup and I had one beyond meat sausage at Christmas.

Any ideas? This just “can’t be right!”.
Elsie

Re: WFPB yet very high cholesterol

Postby pundit999 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:16 pm

You seem to have familial hyper cholesterol.
Don’t know what to tell you but whole plants only diet protects beyond cholesterol.
It lowers tmao , lowers inflammation, acts like aspirin, feeds good bacteria etc.
Since you are 70, may be get a calcium score and then decide if you need statin etc based on the score ?
Did you ever get a cholesterol test earlier ?
pundit999

Postby Matcha » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:03 am

Last edited by Matcha on Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Matcha

Postby debknott » Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:58 am

Pundit may well be correct. I too have read that high cholesterol can be an inherited condition. I'm sure it can be treated, but dietary changes can't overcome it.
debknott

Postby dleviton » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:44 am

In his article updated on September 12, 2022, Cholesterol – When and How to Treat It https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/information/cholesterol-when-and-how-to-treat-it/, Dr. McDougall discusses his recommendations for people who, like me, can’t lower their cholesterol with diet alone. He lists some supplements he considers safe and effective. On the main question, “Who Should Get Medication?” he says “I’m not sure, but I am called upon to make my best guess with my patients every day.” Why is he not sure? I suspect there is no good study of the effect of lowering cholesterol on mortality and morbidity among people who strictly adhere to the McDougall Program.
dleviton

Return to The Lounge