60 Minutes on "Obesity" Jan. 1, 2023

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

60 Minutes on "Obesity" Jan. 1, 2023

Postby dleviton » Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:38 pm

I can’t recall any other time when a 60 Minutes story was so self-contradictory and counter to my personal experience.

It opens with Leslie Stahl saying “Almost half of American adults have obesity, a condition that was a fraction of that just forty years ago.” (1)

A major thrust is that there is a new medicine that causes weight loss, but it is very expensive, and often not covered by insurance.

“In 2013, the American Medical Association, some would say finally, recognized obesity as a disease.” (2)

Dr. Fatima Cody Stanford, an obesity doctor at Massachusetts General Hospital and associate professor at Harvard Medical School, says “It’s a brain disease.” (3) 96% of participants on The Biggest Loser regain the weight they lost through severe calorie restriction and tortuous exercise regimes. Chronic stress can lead to higher “set points” which the brain seeks to maintain. There is no mention of lowering one’s set point.

The biggest contributor to obesity, according to Dr. FCS, is genetics. Diet is a small slice of the pie chart of contributing factors. She claims that if you have obesity genes, you are 50-85% likely to “have obesity” even with optimal diet, exercise, sleep management, and stress management. (4)

Doctors do not understand obesity, and are mostly biased against the obese. Making obesity a disease clarifies that it is not the patient’s fault. Ozempic and Wegovy are the same drug, semaglutide. They can bring about an average weight loss of 15-22% of the starting body weight. The vast majority of “people with obesity” can’t afford this drug, and most insurance companies refuse to cover it. Dr. Caroline Apovia dismisses concerns about side-effects with the claim that correct dosing alleviates them. She rages that an insurance denial because the doctor did not counsel the patient about behavior change is a manifestation of stigma. She doesn’t say what she thinks an optimal diet would be, or why not to suggest it prior to giving a new, expensive drug. She must be talking about herself when she says she would never suggest lifestyle changes to a patient with high blood pressure, heart disease, of type 2 diabetes. Why not? is not asked and not answered. (5)

Wegovy is marketed for obesity. Ozempic is the same drug, marketed for diabetes. It treats diabetes by causing weight loss, of course. If an obese patient has diabetes, their insurance may cover Ozempic, but if they don’t have diabetes, it often won’t cover Wegovy. Outrage over this inconsistency is the main point of the report. 110 million Americans are “eligible for an anti-obesity medication.” If it were covered, it would lower overall health care costs. (6)

An example is given of a 5 ft tall woman who weighed 194 pounds at her highest and has lost more than 50 pounds. Even with the medicine, she has to continue dieting and exercising. She will need to take the drug indefinitely, to maintain her weight. (7)

The State of Rhode Island will cover this drug starting now. (8)

Here are my comments:

Point (1) directly contradicts point (4), unless you believe that human genetics have changed significantly in the last 40 years.

I don't much care to argue for or against obesity being a disease. Some people can’t work on a problem that isn’t their fault. Others may react in just the opposite way. Of course we should not stigmatize obesity. But we should also not give people excuses to avoid improving themselves. Calling obesity a “brain disease” (point 3) strikes me as silly and counterproductive. Dr. FCS also says it is the brain working correctly. So which is it?

Point (4) just cannot be right, in my personal experience. I have been obese and I reached my healthy weight through eating whole food, plant-based. I have maintained it without excessive exercise or severe calorie restriction for over 12 years.

Point (5) is an indictment of doctors and medical education, not a reason abandon proper nutrition for a silver bullet injection. My answer to Point 6 is that eating WFPB would save much more in health care costs, with lots of positive side effects and no negative ones. I lost about the same percentage of my starting body weight as the woman in Point (7), but I don’t have to take an expensive injection for the rest of my life. According to my BMI calculator, a healthy weight for a 5 ft tall woman would be no more than 128 pounds, so I suggest she look into Dr. Mcdougall's work for further ways to improve and get off the drug.

I congratulate Rhode Island on making a modest improvement in their state health care. I would like to see them promoting healthier eating and lifestyle as well.
dleviton

Re: 60 Minutes on "Obesity" Jan. 1, 2023

Postby QubitBob » Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:32 pm

Dan'l,

You beat me to it--I came to this forum to make the exact same post. I, too, was deeply disturbed by the central message and many inconsistencies in this 60 Minutes story. Remember the old "Fairness Doctrine" that was in place for political advertising? I wish we could invoke something similar for TV news shows and force 60 Minutes to air a segment featuring Dr. McDougall and Jeff Novick.

By the way, in case any of the readers of this forum missed this story, here is a link (https://www.cbsnews.com/news/weight-los ... 023-01-01/ ) to a video and a transcript of the story.
QubitBob

Postby dleviton » Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:43 pm

Thanks, QubitBob. It really was like an extended commercial for a product they admit is made by one of their sponsors.
dleviton

Postby barryoilbegone » Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:27 am

Happy New Year y'all. From the 'obesity expert' Dr Fatima Cody Stanford's own Wikipedia profile:

'Stanford's research focuses on the utilization of anti-obesity pharmacotherapy after bariatric surgery,[21][22][23] outcomes and utility of adolescent bariatric surgery,[24][25][26] pharmacotherapy for the treatment for obesity,[27][28][29] physician and education and training in obesity care.'

But what makes the jaw drop open, perhaps even more than that small conflict of interest:

''She is the director of diversity and inclusion for the Nutrition Obesity Research Center at Harvard (NORCH).[19] Through the NIH, she serves as the director of the Nutrition Obesity Research Center (NORC) working group on workforce diversity.[20]'

The person who you'd have thought should be most open to thinking about alternatives and inclusion of different methods that don't harm with side effects... you just can't make this sh*t up...! :lol:

Hope 2023 is year of improvement for many of us. Just steer clear of the latest propaganda media puff pieces to help on that journey. :roll:
"All people are made alike - of bones and flesh and dinner. Only the dinners are different.”

Gertrude Louise Cheney
barryoilbegone

Postby f1jim » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:19 am

Business as usual for the mainstream press reporting on health issues.
Old guys like me just shrug our heads and move on.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby VeggieSue » Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:34 pm

So THIS is what Dr McDougall was talking about in last week's Sunday Q&A. He kept referring to the episode but since I don't watch that show had no idea what he was talking about.

He also mentioned that he's working on a new lecture, this one about "bizarre" weight loss methods and would especially cover Ozempic. He said it'll be ready in a few weeks and was debating how to preview it, but on Monday's how with Chef AJ it sounded like that his next monthly show with her, first Monday in February, would be when he premiers it.
VeggieSue

Postby MINNIE » Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:55 pm

I wonder if those doctors would recommend giving patients heroin to treat their cocaine addiction .

It would make as much sense...
MINNIE

Postby vman » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:39 am

This stuff must be so frustrating to the doctors. If you go by mass media and online forums, it does seem like the keto/paleo world has all but sniffed us out with the vast majority of the population going along. A walk down Whole Food aisles confirms that the keto takeover there has been complete. Just today that so-called diet expert “skeptical cardiologist” claims on message that any reasons to fear saturated fats are now gone and there is. I link between heart disease and red meat. And 100% of the comments confirm an enthusiastic audience is ready to accept all this. I know we are still out there, and it’s best to just ignore and continue doing our thing, but it sucks watching friends and family members get swallowed by this misinformation and knowing where it will all lead. For all the amazing progress the doctors have made in spreading the correct information, it still seems to have had little impact on the medical or population at large.
vman

Postby openmind » Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:25 am

The plan is to have 80 pct of Americans on Ozempic in the next decade so, without a doubt.
Last edited by openmind on Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
openmind

Postby jay kaye » Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:08 pm

Maybe we should just put Ozempic in the water, along with statins :)

J
jay kaye

Return to The Lounge