Christmas Day splurge

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Christmas Day splurge

Postby dougtokyo » Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:00 am

It's Christmas Day and I intentionally splurged. I don't feel great about it. But to me "splurging" means sticking to WFPB but ignoring calories and calorie density.

So I ate vegan, and no oils. But I had a few things that were quite high in calorie and calorie density: some organic dried figs (very high in calorie density, and too easy to eat, and not as satisfying as I remember), some dried Japanese sweet potatoes / satsumaimo (not as bad as the figs in calorie density or calories, takes longer to eat, but not as tasty as I remember), grilled Japanese sweet potatoes for lunch (a bit high in calorie density, extremely delicious, will continue to have them sometimes, but can't afford to every day calorie-wise).

On top of all that I had 3 large apples which just added 400 calories on top of the whole mess and I ate about 2,900 calories today!

I'm sure I'll show a temporary weight gain tomorrow, and while I'm psychologically prepared for that I feel sort of down about it. Tomorrow I'm back with no extra fruits and sticking to lower calorie density starches and veggies until... New Year's eve! :)

Since I do have my weight under control (I'm down 140 lb to 144 lb - normal weight) I know I can do things like this and then be good the next day. It's not like I had anything fried, or non-vegan, or things with oil, etc. I wonder how many calories I used to eat when I was obese.
dougtokyo

Re: Christmas Day splurge

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:10 pm

Your "spurge" sounds better than most of my normal days. Congratulations!
Vanilla Orchid

Postby QubitBob » Sun Dec 25, 2022 2:17 pm

Oh you naughty, naughty boy! :eek:

Merry Christmas--I hope you recover from this "splurge" which is healthier than what 99.9% of most Americans will eat on Christmas.
QubitBob

Postby dougtokyo » Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:16 pm

My weight did jump some from Christmas (yesterday) but this morning I'm back to normal. Breakfast was a large bowl of salad, 250 g of boiled potatoes, and I was still feeling a bit hungry so I heated up a 300 g package of cauliflower rice. Total calories just 385. All WFPB compliant. Maybe 50-50 starch in volume? Anyway, everything is ok. :)
dougtokyo

Postby MINNIE » Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:25 pm

Hey Doug,

You had a good meal of healthful delicious foods. Don't stress! Any weight gain you may see the next day is going to be water and fiber that hasn't been fully digested and moved along out of your system yet - this too shall pass :).

It's not new body fat, so no need to feel guilty..
MINNIE

Postby dougtokyo » Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:03 am

Yup, almost all the one day weight gain disappeared by the next day. All is good.
dougtokyo

Postby landog » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:33 am

dougtokyo wrote:It's Christmas Day and I intentionally splurged.

Awesome - thanks for sharing! I spent the day in the hospital with Covid :( eating practically nothing from their "heart healthy menu"
(home now - still recovering)
landog

Postby QubitBob » Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:55 pm

I spent the day in the hospital with Covid :( eating practically nothing from their "heart healthy menu"
(home now - still recovering)

Get well soon, landog!
QubitBob

Postby Daydream » Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:00 am

dougtokyo, your "splurge" was still healthy food and you got back on track the next day so there was no harm done.

landog, I'm so sorry you were in the hospital with covid! I hope you feel better soon.
Daydream

Return to The Lounge