How can calorie density be helpful if calories aren't?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: How can calorie density be helpful if calories aren't?

Postby dougtokyo » Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:20 pm

Oh, JeffN, I was thinking... in addition to the 3rd factor (satiety) there is also a 4th factor to consider, isn't there?

1. Calories / calorie density
2. Weight / Volume
3. Satiety
4. The time it takes to eat

For example, 4 bananas might take 4 minutes or less to eat for me, with no satiety.

However a 50 g package of honey drops (100% organic honey only) while high in calorie density is 197 calories for the entire package and literally lasts all day because each drop is too hard to bite into so you just have something to suck on and keep your mouth busy.

So which is better in this case? Two apples for a total of 240 calories or the package of honey drops for less calories?
dougtokyo

Postby JeffN » Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:16 am

But where does that leave some foods like grilled Japanese sweet potatoes (yaki-imo) which I like occasionally, but are, in fact, to the right of the red line in calorie density because when grilled they lose enough water weight to put them over? "

You caught me at a good time when I am writing a new article on the issue of Ultra processed foods and it also addresses many of these issues which are currently circulating in my head.

First, understand there is no "line" or black and white distinction. Even in the research there is no black and white line nor did any of the studies use one. In fact, in one of the studies that is often used to support this so called "line", 6% of the group whose intake was to the left of the line, were still obese.

I have had clients who were much older, inactive, have physical limitations, shorter, etc. whose food averaged 300- 400 Cal/lb. And I have had clients who were younger active, muscular, tall, etc. whose food was in the range of 1000-1200 (or more). Yet, that is 100% to the right of the line.

That is why I teach the "sweet spot" as represented in this slide below, and the process of how to find one’s personal range. Notice that at both ends of the sweet spot graphic, the line turns yellow and then orange as we can go too high in calorie density and we can go too low.

In regard to the roasted sweet potatoes, this is why I teach the concept of chubby chips which are thicker cut slices that are lightly broiled/grilled on each side. This way, there is much more moisture retained in the chip and the calorie density is not as high. The thicker (to a point) the better. Or you can use the concept of overall dilution. By also having some steamed veggies like broccoli, the overall calorie density of the two items goes down. Or you can do both, thicker chips and some vegetables with them.

On dilution (which I linked earlier)
https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... 11&t=62238

The earlier Sweet Spot link was just to get you to understand there is no single number. However, it was also an early attempt of identifying the 4 most important factors but was not completely accurate. There is also not much great support for the 4 lbs of food per day and I have seen all the studies and personally seen quite a variance and so I don't use it or recommend it. Follow the principles of calorie density and ad-libitum eating and it will work itself out.

This is also why it is important to understand that while calorie density is just a number, it is also a good surrogate marker for several other factors that contribute to passive-overconsumption, which I linked to earlier. While volume can be an issue, it is not one of the top ones unless the volume comes from water as the volume created by air (puffed grains, air popped popcorn) does not contribute to satiety and so can be very misleading.

From this link

https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... 22&t=62161

Second, if you have seen my Calorie Density talk, or read my articles on it, you know I stress that while calorie density is a good marker of one's likelihood to overconsume a food, it is just a number and not the only thing that impacts our over-consumption of calories. There are several other factors that I review in the lecture and here in the forum, many of which are also in the 10 Point Checklist for MWL. These include:

- The % fat

- the water content

- the fiber/Cal content

- the degree of processing, such as:

- the form of the fiber (intact vs disrupted)

- the form of the food (liquid vs pureed vs solid, intact vs ground, and/or emulsified)

- the amount of chewing required.

- the variety of foods consumed (limited vs numerous) also known as “sensory specific satiety' or “the salad bar effect"

- the hyper-palatability of the food (high fat, sugar, salt, combos)

And this one

https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... 38#p631194

The 50/50 plate method is a guideline and the “method” means “up to” 50% non starchy veggies and/or fruit”. It’s not a black and white rule that the plate be 50/50, It might be 25/75 or 33/67 or 40/60 (non-starchy veggies and/or fruit/starch).

Everyone has to find their “sweet spot,” which may be the most important concept, and is a combination of water content, calorie density, satiety, fiber/Cal, food form (liquid vs solid) etc. Calorie Density just happens to be the best surrogate marker of all this.

This is how it is taught in the lecture at the 12-Day Program too.

These are all guidelines to help people find their sweet spot.

BTW, it sounds like you are doing this already with your own experiments of starchy vegetables, starches, fruits and vegetables as you indicate here....

Anyway, that's sort of where I am. I will say, though, that I have found when snacking on very low calorie density foods, like daikon and eggplant, that I can end up over the course of a day eating much more that 4 lb of food. It can go up to as much as 8 or 9 pounds! And I feel uncomfortable when I do that, but because I didn't take satiety into account I can't stop.

This past week I cut back on those foods and concentrated more on potatoes and okayu (Japanese rice gruel) which leaves me satisfied, but not uncomfortable.

I would say the most important factors are calorie density, % fat, satiety (fiber/Cal and water content), and food form (liquid vs solid). And as I said, calorie density just happens to be the best surrogate marker of these. Counting calories alone does not take any of these into consideration.

The questions you raised in your article about water content are interesting. Since water itself is not satiating for any amount of time, I have always wondered how they help make other foods, like wet whole starches, satiating.

Water is satiating because it contributes weight and volume, yet a glass of water hardly contributes any satiety and just adding a glass to a meal doesn't help much. The reason is for the water to be effective, the water has to be in the food and works best if the food is also a high fiber food because then the water is "bound up" in the fiber matrix. As we see with a sponge, the fiber has what I call, bulking capacity. Add water to a dry sponge and it expands (bulk) and holds the water. This is why water and fibers which contribute bulk are a key issue in satiety. This is the issue with blending, it disrupts the fiber lowering its bulking capacity.

I hope you have read the work on satiety which is an integral part of the principles.

This is why I think the concept of "wet" starches is not helpful and why I do not use it. It does not accurately describe what we are looking for.

For instance, if I take a couple whole grain crackers (high in calorie density) and dip them in a glass of water, they are now "wet" but they are not water rich. They are still high in calorie density and can lead to passive overconsumption.

If I take some dry rolled oats (high in calorie density) and let them sit in cold water for a minute or two, they will be wet but will absorb little to any of the water and so will still be calorie dense. But if take that same rolled oats (high in calorie density) and cook them in hot water for a few minutes, the oats absorb all the water into the food matrix and the resulting oatmeal is rich in water and low in calorie density.

We don't want wet starches, we want minimally processed foods/starches rich in water (and fiber).

Still, I feel like I have to track calories.

And you may always do so as you have connected the process with the results for quite some time.

For over 30 years I have watched people successfully manage their weight without counting a calorie through the principles of calorie density (not just calorie density). Have they created a negative energy balance? Of course. But most of those who are willing to do the experiment over time, and quit counting calories, find the results and this method very liberating in many ways.

That is because these principles of calorie density are much more important than just calories because by using them we not only create a negative calorie balance, we create a diet that is high in fiber, nutrients and satiety and low in fat, sat fat, etc. and allows us to eat ad-libtium", eating whenever we are hungry until we are comfortably full. Or as I said earlier....

By following some simple principles (without having to count anything) you will find your sweet spot, and discover which foods and amounts provide the calories to manage your energy balance (gain, lose or maintain), while at the same time keep you satiated without having to go hungry and, at the same time, provide the nutrients you to need to maintain excellent health for life.

Proof?

There was a fairly recent study which concluded...

To the best of our knowledge, there are no randomised controlled trials that have achieved a greater average weight loss over a 6- or 12-month period, without mandating regular exercise or restricting total caloric intake.9, 10, 41 The key difference between this trial and other approaches to weight loss was that participants were informed to eat the WFPB diet ad libitum and to focus efforts on diet, rather than increasing exercise. The mechanism for this is likely the reduction in the energy density of the food consumed (lower fat, higher water and fibre).

This was called the Broad study and taught the "principles of calorie density" that the authors learned while interning at the McDougall Program. You can read more here....

https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... 22&t=54964

Regards
Jeff
JeffN

Postby MINNIE » Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:56 pm

Doug, what an AMAZING transformation!! I am sure this will be an inspiration to others.

I have no input to offer on your original question. More knowledgeable people have already answered it.

Just my opinion, but if you feel better, safer, more secure or whatever counting calories, do what works for you.

My situation is different, because I came to this WOE for reasons other than weight.
But I do find it funny that pre-McDougall I was a sort of hyperactive, obsessive body builder, yet I believed that if I didn't monitor my calories every day I would get fat. Even though I exercised more than a lot of people I knew, I somehow believed that I had to stick to some made-up numeric goal. For me this was anxiety-provoking, and not helpful.

When I started eating this way, I completely stopped thinking about calories because I believed, correctly as it turned out, that I was not going to get fat.

So for me thinking about calories was counter-productive and life got better when I stopped. But for you, maybe it helps even if it isn't technically necessary. There isn't any right/wrong answer. Only you can judge what you need to do.

You've done great so far. Good luck on your continuing journey!
MINNIE

Postby dougtokyo » Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:49 pm

MINNIE wrote:Doug, what an AMAZING transformation!! I am sure this will be an inspiration to others.
!

Thanks very much, Minnie!
dougtokyo

Postby dougtokyo » Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:57 pm

JeffN wrote:
But where does that leave some foods like grilled Japanese sweet potatoes (yaki-imo) which I like occasionally, but are, in fact, to the right of the red line in calorie density because when grilled they lose enough water weight to put them over? "

You caught me at a good time when I am writing a new article on the issue of Ultra processed foods and it also addresses many of these issues which are currently circulating in my head.

Wow, thanks for all the details. I appreciate the time you put into it and am still studying it. But in the meantime, I did want to make a quick followup on satiety, which I still don't completely get.

For example, take bananas and potatoes. Both have about the same calorie density! But to me anyway, bananas are not satiating at all. I can gobble up 4 - whoosh there goes over 400 calories - and not feel any sense of being full. On the other hand 400 g of potatoes, nearly a lb, is more satiating.

What's the difference? In your sweet spot you have fruits pretty far to the left. But if I start in on them I can't stop. Probably because they are sweet. I just ate two apples, and will limit my fruits today to just those two. But just those two vanished quickly and totaled 273 calories! That probably means cutting back on some starches later today to avoid having too many calories.

So what do you think really causes satiety in this situation?

Thanks.
dougtokyo

Postby JeffN » Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:21 pm

dougtokyo wrote:. For example, take bananas and potatoes. Both have about the same calorie density! But to me anyway, bananas are not satiating at all. I can gobble up 4 - whoosh there goes over 400 calories - and not feel any sense of being full. On the other hand 400 g of potatoes, nearly a lb, is more satiating.

What's the difference? In your sweet spot you have fruits pretty far to the left. But if I start in on them I can't stop. Probably because they are sweet. I just ate two apples, and will limit my fruits today to just those two. But just those two vanished quickly and totaled 273 calories! That probably means cutting back on some starches later today to avoid having too many calories.

So what do you think really causes satiety in this situation?.

This is why I posted the link to a discussions where i give 2 examples of foods that have the same calorie density but much different satiety. They are in this thread

Here are examples of ”Foods with similar calorie density, but other qualitative differences, and the effect on overconsumption” https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... 22&t=62161

Satiety and calorie density are not directly related but you tend to see an inverse relationship. Higher calorie density and lower satiety, individually or together, are two factors that can increase the passive overconsumption of food, which is the real issue.

In regard to fruit, we do see this here and in the programs on occasion and why we say,

“In regards to fruit, Dr. McDougall stated long ago that if you want to lose weight you may want to limit your fruit consumption to two servings per day because some people have an tendency to overindulge in fruit. That being said, fruit is very low in calorie density, and we believe that eating fruit is a great way to still achieve your weight loss goals; however, if you find yourself eating copious amounts of fruit every day and are not seeing the results you want, that is an indicator that you should slow down on your fruit consumption.”

This was even noted in the satiety studies where they tested the satiety of foods both subjectively and objectively and both short term and long term. Fruit produced good satiety short term, but not long term. The satiety passsed fairly quickly and the subjects became hungry again. The best overall satiety, both short term and long term, came from minimally processed starches (potato, oatmeal, etc)

Regards
Jeff
JeffN

Postby dougtokyo » Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:58 am

JeffN wrote:
dougtokyo wrote:. For example, take bananas and potatoes. Both have about the same calorie density! But to me anyway, bananas are not satiating at all. I can gobble up 4 - whoosh there goes over 400 calories - and not feel any sense of being full. On the other hand 400 g of potatoes, nearly a lb, is more satiating.

So what do you think really causes satiety in this situation?.

In regard to fruit, we do see this here and in the programs on occasion and why we say,

“In regards to fruit, Dr. McDougall stated long ago that if you want to lose weight you may want to limit your fruit consumption to two servings per day because some people have an tendency to overindulge in fruit. That being said, fruit is very low in calorie density, and we believe that eating fruit is a great way to still achieve your weight loss goals; however, if you find yourself eating copious amounts of fruit every day and are not seeing the results you want, that is an indicator that you should slow down on your fruit consumption.”

This was even noted in the satiety studies where they tested the satiety of foods both subjectively and objectively and both short term and long term. Fruit produced good satiety short term, but not long term. The satiety passsed fairly quickly and the subjects became hungry again. The best overall satiety, both short term and long term, came from minimally processed starches (potato, oatmeal, etc)

Regards
Jeff

I'm experiencing that today actually - the day before New Year's Even and the holiday week is underway here. Everything I'm eating is WFPB, no oil, and in the most conservative sweet spot of calorie density you post about. Yet I definitely abused fruits today: 3 large apples and 4 bananas!

And, in the end, it is the calories that count.

That is the bottom line, isn't it? Calorie density can be a signpost for finding satiating food if those foods are not your trigger foods, like fruits.

I think it just comes down to me needing to continue to monitor/limit my calories, being aware of certain weaknesses, and going on like I have been - except on a few holidays for a day or so.

That's ok. It's not like I don't enjoy what I'm eating when I'm being good. I think I should just avoid fruits is all. And grilled Japanese sweet potatoes which truly are quite high in calorie density and seem to cause weight gain whenever I try them.

Thanks. And I am continuing to read all the notes and references you spent time creating!
dougtokyo

Postby dougtokyo » Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:24 am

For amusement, I asked my question to ChatGPT (the trending AI chat) and here is it's response. Not bad?

"Calorie density, or the number of calories per gram of food, is just one factor that can affect satiety, or the feeling of fullness and satisfaction that you get after eating. Other factors that can affect satiety include the volume of the food, the fiber content, the protein content, and the fat content.

Bananas and potatoes can have similar calorie densities, but they differ in other nutrients that can affect satiety. For example, potatoes are a good source of fiber and protein, both of which can help increase feelings of fullness and satisfaction. Bananas, on the other hand, are relatively low in fiber and protein compared to potatoes. In addition, potatoes tend to be more filling because they are often consumed in larger volumes than bananas.

It's also important to note that individual differences, such as a person's age, gender, weight, and activity level, can all affect how satiating different foods are. What is satiating for one person may not be for another."
dougtokyo

Postby dleviton » Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:19 pm

Very interesting, Doug. That has enough verisimilitude to be annoying. We haven't made intelligent, conscious machines, but we have made machines that can pass the Turing test, by convincing many humans that they are human.

Dan'l
dleviton

Postby dougtokyo » Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:49 am

Because of timing on this new year's day I did not weigh myself for the first time in several years. I logged my food, but probably missed some stuff. I'm sure my weight tomorrow morning will be higher, and have to admit I'm a bit worried to look at the scale. I ate technically legally all day: all vegan whole foods and no oils, but I'm sure I just had too much. Too much fruit. Too many whole starches even. And some foods very high in calorie density, like senbei (rice crackers).

I also had Dr. McDougall's black pea soup with lime. I had been worried about trying it since I bought it, since it is 350 calories for a small container. So I saved it for new year's day. I was actually pleasantly surprised to find out how delicious - and also thick and filling it was. It kept me full until lunch, along with my usual breakfast salad. Still, overall I definitely overate today. I'm definitely going back to my usual pattern of eating tomorrow. And probably avoid all fruits for a while since I do tend to overdo them.

I do feel that the most reliable thing to do is continue to track total calories eaten rather than a "ratio" like calorie density. The ratios just have never done it for me.
dougtokyo

Postby frozenveg » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:40 am

dougtokyo wrote:I do feel that the most reliable thing to do is continue to track total calories eaten rather than a "ratio" like calorie density. The ratios just have never done it for me.

Doug, I appreciate your honesty and your determination to continue tracking calories. I think you derive a strong psychological benefit from the tracking--accountability and self-control. I often do the same; I track for weeks, and then I feel I can coast on the ratios. Then I go back to tracking for a while. But if you don't mind doing it daily, continue! Congratulations, and good luck int he future! May you never regain!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby a-great-hunger » Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:14 pm

Doug, loved your blogposts about your weight loss. Keep up the good work and tell us how the experiment goes.
a-great-hunger

Postby dougtokyo » Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:42 am

frozenveg wrote:
dougtokyo wrote:I do feel that the most reliable thing to do is continue to track total calories eaten rather than a "ratio" like calorie density. The ratios just have never done it for me.

Doug, I appreciate your honesty and your determination to continue tracking calories. I think you derive a strong psychological benefit from the tracking--accountability and self-control. I often do the same; I track for weeks, and then I feel I can coast on the ratios. Then I go back to tracking for a while. But if you don't mind doing it daily, continue! Congratulations, and good luck int he future! May you never regain!

Thanks. By the way, after getting back to normal on the 2nd my weight dropped right back down again to what it was. So it was obviously a combination of water retention and the time it took for all the excess stuff I ate to finish leaving my body.

One thing I like very much about starch oriented WFPB eating is, well, that I like starches and I like whole foods and veggies. That's why I'm sure this is good for a lifetime.

I wish I could stop snacking so much. Even though the stuff I snack on is all low calorie healthy veggies like eggplant slices or daikon. I often feel like the volume is too much. It's not a matter of hunger I don't think. But that's a different topic.
dougtokyo

Postby a-great-hunger » Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:23 am

dougtokyo wrote:For example, take bananas and potatoes. Both have about the same calorie density! But to me anyway, bananas are not satiating at all. I can gobble up 4 - whoosh there goes over 400 calories - and not feel any sense of being full. On the other hand 400 g of potatoes, nearly a lb, is more satiating.

So what do you think really causes satiety in this situation?

Thanks.

Doug, I would wager that the complex carbohydrates in potatoes induce long term satiety over the simple sugars in fruit. Bananas in particular are much faster to digest. Incorporating the fruit as part of a meal that includes more fiber, protein, and complex carbohydrates (greens, beans, and potatoes) would likely make them more satiating than eating them as a snack.
a-great-hunger

Postby dougtokyo » Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:02 pm

a-great-hunger wrote:
dougtokyo wrote:Doug, I would wager that the complex carbohydrates in potatoes induce long term satiety over the simple sugars in fruit. Bananas in particular are much faster to digest. Incorporating the fruit as part of a meal that includes more fiber, protein, and complex carbohydrates (greens, beans, and potatoes) would likely make them more satiating than eating them as a snack.

Maybe that's it. I noticed yesterday that I was snacking on eggplant slices all afternoon. Tasty. Low-calorie. But not satiating at all. Then I had some potatoes for dinner and - wham! - my appetite was gone.

By the way, my current weight is now lower than it was before the holiday season caused a temporary weight gain, so all is well. I even am eating two apples a day. Not satiating but tasty, and they don't seem to hurt anything.
dougtokyo

Previous

Return to The Lounge