Cookware

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Cookware

Postby Acura » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:48 pm

I have heard of issues with non stick cookware as in the coating coming off and mixing with your food which can be deadly. This community is health savvy, what are using for cookware? I have heard about seasoned iron pots etc?
CC
Acura

Re: Cookware

Postby michaelswarm » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:25 pm

Non stick is over rated for most kinds of cooking.

My favorite cookware are my 2 large stainless steel pressure cooker pots.
I use them to dry sauté onions and aromatics, using a splash of water, broth or tomato to deglaze.
I use them to steam vegetables, saving and freezing the leftover liquid for future vegetable broth.
I use them to toast spice seeds and grains like brown rice, cumin seeds, sesame seeds, etc.
I use them as mixing bowls for bread doughs.
Clean up is easy, with sponge or even steel wool pad as necessary.

I do use a large non stick frying pan for pancakes.

Saucepans always have liquids, so doesn't matter much what kind they are.
michaelswarm

Postby VeggieSue » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:30 am

I agree with Michael. And like him, most of my cooking lately has been in the pressure cooker pots.

I do have one non-stick skillet and one non-stick griddle for those rare occasions I need a dry pan to cook with, like bean burgers or hash browns. Even Mary McDougall reminds people in one of the videos (Meal Planner, I think) that all pans lose their non-stick-ness eventually and have to be replaced. She has recommended different brands over the years, like Berndes and Scan Pan, but I know many people who did buy those say they lasted no longer than the cheapo Green Pans they bought in Walmart.

Cast iron is not recommended, and not just because you have to add oil, even in the so-called non-stick ones, which is not allowed on the McDougall programs. Dr Barnard came out against them a few years back because the iron leeched into your food is NOT healthy and can lead to various brain diseases.
VeggieSue

Postby MINNIE » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:22 pm

I use an Instant Pot for most of my cooking, with a rice cooker and some stainless steel pans as needed. i keep it simple:). I have various microwave safe bowls and a small steamer, which is good for quick meals where I just want to cook one serving of something.

Fond as I am of my Instant Pot and fancy rice cooker, you can do just fine with inexpensive regular pots and pans, as long as they don't have dangerous or unhealthy components.

The important thing is to start cooking and eating the healthiest real food with the tools you have now. You can always add other gadgets as you find a need for them.
MINNIE

Postby Acura » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:51 pm

Dr Barnard came out against them a few years back because the iron leeched into your food is NOT healthy and can lead to various brain diseases.

I think that may be in relation to aluminum pots. some one can confirm this.
CC
Acura

Postby Acura » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:55 pm

We use pressure cooker for stuff such as brown rice, dal, cooking beans etc but afterwards we have to saute(no oil) Dal, curry, cauliflower , eggg plants, beans Subzi etc and for that you need a pot or Pan.

What do you guys think about pre seasoned iron pots or pans?
CC
Acura

Postby VeggieSue » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:48 am

Acura wrote:
Dr Barnard came out against them a few years back because the iron leeched into your food is NOT healthy and can lead to various brain diseases.

I think that may be in relation to aluminum pots. some one can confirm this.

He wrote about it in the book Power Foods for the Brain.
https://www.amazon.com/Power-Foods-Brai ... B007ZFYC5W
VeggieSue

Postby JeffN » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:56 am

Acura wrote:We use pressure cooker for stuff such as brown rice, dal, cooking beans etc but afterwards we have to saute(no oil) Dal, curry, cauliflower , eggg plants, beans Subzi etc and for that you need a pot or Pan.

We don't recommend cast iron, pre-seasoned or not.

In health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Mayapples » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:32 am

Acura wrote:We use pressure cooker for stuff such as brown rice, dal, cooking beans etc but afterwards we have to saute(no oil) Dal, curry, cauliflower , eggg plants, beans Subzi etc and for that you need a pot or Pan.

For anything that won't be harmed by adding a splash of water or broth if something is starting to stick, I use stainless steel pans. I use a supposedly nontoxic ceramic nonstick pan for browning veggie burgers, making pancakes, etc, but for browning onions, sauteing vegetables, making curries, etc, stainless is fine.
Mayapples

Postby lucidguppy » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:22 am

I really like using the panini press that has a teflon coating to do my hash browns.

I use a rice cooker for rice.

I use the instant pot for a lot of stuff.

I combo microwave and air fryer for my potatoes, oats, and vegetables.

Flavors come from sauces and spice combinations.

I don't really have much use for fry pans.
lucidguppy

Postby Acura » Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:15 pm

Anyone used hexclad pans?
They claim it is Stainless steel which should be better than Aluminium and or non stick or iron pots. Expesnive

https://www.amazon.com/HexClad-Stainles ... 217N&psc=1
CC
Acura

Postby Chumly » Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:57 pm

Acura wrote:I have heard of issues with non stick cookware as in the coating coming off and mixing with your food which can be deadly. This community is health savvy, what are using for cookware? I have heard about seasoned iron pots etc?

Deadly? I've never heard of this before. I assume you are talking about PTFE. The main danger is excess heat (over 500°F) begins releasing toxic fumes that can give you polymer fume fever.

Michael
Chumly

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:25 pm

JeffN wrote:

We don't recommend cast iron, pre-seasoned or not.

In health
Jeff

Why?
Vanilla Orchid

Postby JeffN » Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:34 am

JeffN

Return to The Lounge