So disappointed in this "plant-based" restaurant in my town

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

So disappointed in this "plant-based" restaurant in my town

Postby QubitBob » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:42 pm

So, I was excited to read a post in the Facebook group covering the small town where I live that a "plant-based" restaurant had recently opened there. My excitement was short-lived, however, because when I checked their Web site and read their menu I realized I can't eat anything they serve. Almost every meal on their menu is based on what Jeff Novick would call "premium vegan CRAP." So sad. I wonder if they would be open to putting any dishes on their menu which a McDougaller could eat?

Here's a link to their menu: https://www.thegreyhoundcafe.com/#menu-section
QubitBob

Re: So disappointed in this "plant-based" restaurant in my t

Postby pundit999 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:04 pm

Southwest Bowl
A combination of romaine lettuce, rice, black beans, pico, guacamole, pico, cheese, chipotle ranch dressing, and salsa
The "Abolitionist"
Romaine lettuce, sweet potato, broccoli, portabella, caramelized onion and red peppers, avocado, tossed in a spicy avocado dressing. Not served with dressing on side.

I think they should be able to easily make these two dishes mostly compliant.
Hold the cheese and the dressing in the first.
Onions and peppers most likely have much oil. You can ask them to give you just more portobello.

When you eat out it is almost impossible to avoid oil. But other than that you should be ok.
pundit999

Postby colonyofcells » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:49 am

Restaurant foods are usually overpriced, not hygienic, full of oil, butter, cheese, sweeteners, refined flour, salt, etc.
colonyofcells

Postby gracezw » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:50 pm

I completely agree! I now always avoid any restaurants. It is a lot easier for me to eat at home, or bring food from home with me when I am out, or eat produce at a grocery store.

colonyofcells wrote:Restaurant foods are usually overpriced, not hygienic, full of oil, butter, cheese, sweeteners, refined flour, salt, etc.
gracezw

Postby JeffN » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:10 pm

The sad reality....

Is your vegan restaurant really vegan
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=12172

When does added sugar (In a restaurant) not count as added sugar
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=51725&p=567612

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:22 pm

It never hurts to talk to the owner about your needs and make suggestions. They might be open to adding a dish or two. Bring a couple of favorite recipes with you, with some samples. What do you have to lose?
Vanilla Orchid

Postby Dougalling » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:54 am

Hi

Write them a letter congratulating them on their restaurant. Tell them you are very excited about it and you wish them a fabulous success in their new venture.
Let them know that you are on a plant based no added oil plan and ask them to contact you if they ever add any such dishes to their menu. Tell them you will recommend them to your vegetarian friends.
Last edited by Dougalling on Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:13 am, edited 4 times in total.
Dougalling

Postby Dougalling » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:57 am

It would be so easy for all restaurants to put no added oil/salt/sugar chili and a baked potato on their menu.
It would not matter what kind of restaurant / deli / fast food joint it would be.

ADDED: As Jeff says below, Dr McDougall's plan is not SOS free but is a low salt, low sugar, no oil..
You can always add salt/sugar/oil when served.
Having no SOS would help those that are on no-salt, no-sugar and/or no-oil plans.
Last edited by Dougalling on Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dougalling

Postby JeffN » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:15 am

Dougalling wrote:Let them know that you are on a plant based no added oil/sugar/salt plan

That is part of the problem... the McDougall Program is not a no salt or no sugar plan but a low salt, low sugar no oil plan.

It only makes the journey harder and doesn't produce any better results

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby gracezw » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:03 pm

That said, still it may be easier to ask the restaurant for no salt/added oil/salt food items than for low salt low sugar no oil. Otherwise, how would you know that their low salt low sugar is low enough for a Mcdougaller? Their idea of low salt low sugar may be way more than that of a Mcdougaller. And their low is either difficult or impossible to measure.

JeffN wrote:
Dougalling wrote:Let them know that you are on a plant based no added oil/sugar/salt plan

That is part of the problem... the McDougall Program is not a no salt or no sugar plan but a low salt, low sugar no oil plan.

It only makes the journey harder and doesn't produce any better results

In Health
Jeff
gracezw

Postby JeffN » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:53 am

gracezw wrote:That said, still it may be easier to ask the restaurant for no salt/added oil/salt food items than for low salt low sugar no oil. Otherwise, how would you know that their low salt low sugar is low enough for a Mcdougaller? Their idea of low salt low sugar may be way more than that of a Mcdougaller. And their low is either difficult or impossible to measure.

In regard to my comment above that you are referring to, I was only clarifying the “overall McDougall program guidelines” and not giving recommendations on “how to order at a restaurant.” There are already several articles and videos where “how to order at a restaurant” is covered.

However, as someone who has actually navigated the issue of dining out successfully for over 3 decades, and as someone who has actually worked as a chef and kitchen manager, and as I pointed out in the other thread you commented in, and as to what we actually do teach in the class on Dining Out at the McDougall Program...

.... the main issue in dining out successfully, is not the exact level of any sugar or salt that may be in/on the food, but the oil/fat, (hidden animal products) and the premium vegan CRAP being marketed & sold as healthy.

The Dining Out lecture is online for free for those who want to see it and know what we actually recommend...
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... -you-must/

My comments and recommendations on Dining Out
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=60642

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby gracezw » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:03 pm

Thank you Jeff! That is all very good for me to know!
gracezw

Postby Jeremiah » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:24 pm

I've always found it ironic that it's easier to get a healthy meal at a typical steakhouse (several baked potatoes with chopped chives and tomatoes, steamed vegetables, salad, and bread) than it is at a typical vegetarian restaurant.
Jeremiah

Postby gracezw » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:04 am

Thanks! Interesting! I haven't been to any steakhouse. It is true that the vegetarian eatery I frequented before did not serve anything that had no oil, no salt and no sugar.

Jeremiah wrote:I've always found it ironic that it's easier to get a healthy meal at a typical steakhouse (several baked potatoes with chopped chives and tomatoes, steamed vegetables, salad, and bread) than it is at a typical vegetarian restaurant.
gracezw

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:10 pm

I don't think we should give up on vegan restaurants. I'm not interested in going to steakhouses because a baked potato, steamed vegetables and salad are something I can do at home cheaper and better. Why bother?

I have had some success encouraging vegan restaurant owners to understand what we need and why. And they like our money.
Vanilla Orchid

Next

Return to The Lounge