first in line

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

first in line

Postby veg tom » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:55 am

Does anyone want to be first in line when they come up with a vaccine for the covid-19. I also wonder what the good doctor thinks of this?
A is A
veg tom

Re: first in line

Postby vegyluvver » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:08 am

I would absolutely take it. I live with elderly relatives who are likely to die if they get it.

Dr. McD has generally spoken in favor of most vaccines. The current flu vaccines are pretty ineffective so I think they're his exceptions but I still get my flu shot every season, or I did before lockdown.
Val in SoCal
Focusing on the food, not the number on the scale.
vegyluvver

Postby viv » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:24 am

Me, I want to get back in the classroom. Our school district has just announced we will be virtual at least until the end of the year and then reassess. Teachers with school age children at home are having a hard time. Imagine having a full load of online classes and also trying to teach and support your own kids! The students are desperate to get back in their school routine and socialize once again with their friends.

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:41 am

I’d be interested to hear what Dr. McDougall has to say about it. He’s pro-vaccine in most circumstances, but isn’t a big supporter of the flu vaccine, so after there is an approved vaccine and he can review the literature, I’d like to hear his thoughts about it.

I’m in a low-risk age group, and have always homeschooled our children, plus my husband is self-employeed, so our exposure is very low. I’d rather front-line workers and high-risk people get vaccinated first.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Mom+Me » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:37 am

I, too, will be interested to know what Dr. McDougall says.

The flu shot shouldn't really be called a vaccine, as people who receive the flu "vaccine" often end up getting the flu.

So unless it is a true vaccine, I have no interest in a shot that may or may not help.

See the CDC's definition of a vaccine [urlhttps://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/imz-basics.htm]here[/url]
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby Mom+Me » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:41 am

Mom+Me wrote:I, too, will be interested to know what Dr. McDougall says.

The flu shot shouldn't really be called a vaccine, as people who receive the flu "vaccine" often end up getting the flu.

So unless it is a true vaccine, I have no interest in a shot that may or may not help.

See the CDC's definition of a vaccine [urlhttps://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/imz-basics.htm]here[/url]

Let me try that link again: here
Mom+Me

Postby colonyofcells » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:12 pm

I am old and I will be first in line for vaccines and I will just pray for the anti vaccine people who reject science consensus.
colonyofcells

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:51 pm

I get vaccines. I even get flu shots every year. My husband and I are currently guinea pigs in a double blind study of a vaccine for Clostridium difficile. We don't know if we got the real thing or the placebo, but we're happy to do what we can for the sake of medical research. The study is to discover whether the vaccine is safe and effective, and it will take two years before we have an answer.

That said, I'm not sure about a Covid-19 vaccine. From what I have heard on the news, there are many trials being done, and a huge incentive to cut corners. I'm also concerned that there seems to be competition rather than cooperation among the companies that are trying to develop the vaccines. I'm especially concerned because of my utter and complete lack of trust in the way this pandemic has been dealt with by our Federal government.

So, perhaps after the election I may or may not feel better about this.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby veg tom » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:23 am

Ya just wondering what McDougallers were thinking because we are a unique group.
A is A
veg tom

Postby Mom+Me » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:57 am

veg tom wrote:Ya just wondering what McDougallers were thinking because we are a unique group.

What are your thoughts? Do you plan on getting it...if so, will you try to be first in line?

From what I have read and heard from Dr. McDougall, it seems as though my beliefs line up with his in the area of vaccinations.

I failed to say in my earlier post that I personally know of many people who have become quite sick (some even hospitalized) after having received a flu shot (a.k.a. "vaccine"). I have heard and read stories of teenaged throug old who have died as a result of contracting the flu even after having received the flu shot.

Yet family, friends, and self who have not had the flu shot have not gotten the flu--at all--and some of us have been/are in high risk categories (elderly, hospitalized for surgery, etc., also some working with many, many people [co-workers and the public] who are sick).

Science can be funny. It seems that there are conclusive studies and we'll qualified scientists that disagree on any number of scientific findings and positions. When it comes to our current situation, our country's top infectious disease doctor has waffled more than once.

Diet and lifestyle aren't everything, but the healthier one is, our experiences have been that the stronger one's immune system is.

Everyone must make as well informed of a decision as possible. Personally, as I mentioned earlier, if there is not rock solid evidence that the Covid shot is a true vaccine--makes one immune to getting it--I definitely will not be first in line (and I don't believe Dr. McDougall will be either).
Mom+Me

Postby michaelswarm » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:23 pm

I will wait for the science, read it myself with a skeptical filter, listen to other educated opinions on multiple sides of the issue, and make my decision when the time comes. Until there is a vaccine, we are talking scenarios with educated guesses. I have not taken the annual flu shot. Have read Dr McDougall on flu shot, and have no job or health reason to take it. Expect different persons to have different cost-benefit decisions.
michaelswarm

Postby veg tom » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:41 am

Im in the wait and see attitude.
A is A
veg tom

Postby debknott » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:27 pm

I just watched a video of a Texas doctor being interviewed by a local news show reporter about using Budesonide with a nebulizer for Covid. He has had wonderful results of people being cured by an already FDA approved drug that has no scary side effects. Here's a link:

https://youtu.be/eDSDdwN2Xcg
debknott

Postby haze5736 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:14 am

I am not anti-vaccination. But I am cautious.

Am I going to rush out and get a vaccine that was rushed to market in record time? NOPE!

The profit motive in the US is disgusting, consumer protections have been eroded to the point of being useless, and pharmaceutical companies are not held accountable for damages caused by vaccines. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I have a sister that almost died after getting a flu vaccine. For that reason and many others I won't get the flu vaccine either.
haze5736

Postby Mom+Me » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:18 pm

veg tom wrote:Im in the wait and see attitude.

Thank you for replying, veg tom. :)
Mom+Me

Next

Return to The Lounge