New Dr. McDougall interview!

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

New Dr. McDougall interview!

Postby Mom+Me » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:36 pm

Hello! I was just going through e-mails and came across one from Chuck from Brand New Vegan. He just posted on YouTube an interview he did with Dr. McDougall on 11/26/19: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge2nCSz ... e=youtu.be Enjoy! :-D
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Re: New Dr. McDougall interview!

Postby Taggart » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:02 pm

Just finished watching the interview. Enjoyed. Thank you.
Taggart

Postby healthyvegan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:28 pm

so well organized by Chuck. I do have an issue with the B12, there were more than 50k cases of optic neuropathy in Cuba during a defacto state of veganism in the 1990s. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4093737/ people were given an egg a month or something and generally the old and young were given them and w/o b12 neuropathy went nuts on rice and bean diets and b12 injections were used to fix it until pressures changed to add more livestock... b12 seems like a definite concern to me?
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby Mom+Me » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:07 pm

I just got done listening to (and watching some of) the entire interview. Hearing Dr. McDougall talk about human health and nutrition was great--never gets old. He had me chuckling a few times, too. He looked and sounded healthy and strong and I liked his demeanor. And him talking about the importance of sunshine was a good kick in the you-know-where to make sure my family and I get enough!

healthyvegan wrote:so well organized by Chuck. I do have an issue with the B12, there were more than 50k cases of optic neuropathy in Cuba during a defacto state of veganism in the 1990s. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4093737/ people were given an egg a month or something and generally the old and young were given them and w/o b12 neuropathy went nuts on rice and bean diets and b12 injections were used to fix it until pressures changed to add more livestock... b12 seems like a definite concern to me:

Thank you for sharing this, healthyvegan--very interesting! Yes, I was a little surprised that he talked about B-12 in a more-so lax manner when I could "swear" that I've heard and read him talk about it with greater concern. I was also surprised that he and Mary have cyanocobalamin as one of their B-12 choices. Because of his article: https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2017nl/apr/b12.htm and this snippet from it:

"The fourth form is cyanocobalamin (CNCbl). This is a synthetic B12 compound sold commonly as supplements and used for food fortification. All four forms (natural and synthetic) are converted in the body into the metabolically active molecule cobalamin. However, some people do not efficiently make this conversion with the "cyano" products. Plus the cyanide portion of the cyanocobalamin molecule accumulates in the body. Cyanide is a well-known poison that was once used as a chemical warfare agent that can cause death. In small doses, as taken in vitamin B12 supplements (cyanocobalamin), cyanide may have long-term toxicity. Early symptoms of mild cyanide toxicity include headache, dizziness, fast heart rate, shortness of breath, and vomiting.",

I always make sure not to purchase B-12 in this form...unless it's contained in a fizzy Vitamin C drink like Emergen-C (only take it if we feel a cold coming on, but it bothers me knowing that it contains cyanocobalamin after being enlightened by Dr. McDougall's article.).
Mom+Me

Postby John McDougall » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:09 pm

Have I missed the specific reference to B12 in this article: . https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4093737/
Please point it out to me:

A more recent article on B12 left me unsettled about the best form of B12:
See: https://www.nature.com/articles/ejcn2014165

So until I have a more definitive information, I will recommend a combination of different forms (methyl/hydroxy).

Remember: I reserve the right to change my opinion about drugs (supplements). The data these standard approaches is aways changing and filled with biases. However, I will never change my conclusions on a starch-based diet being the best for people.

John McDougall, MD
John McDougall
Site Admin

Postby Mom+Me » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:31 am

John McDougall wrote:Have I missed the specific reference to B12 in this article: . https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4093737/
Please point it out to me:

A more recent article on B12 left me unsettled about the best form of B12:
See: https://www.nature.com/articles/ejcn2014165

So until I have a more definitive information, I will recommend a combination of different forms (methyl/hydroxy).

Remember: I reserve the right to change my opinion about drugs (supplements). The data these standard approaches is aways changing and filled with biases. However, I will never change my conclusions on a starch-based diet being the best for people.

John McDougall, MD

Dear Dr. McDougall,

I am truly honored that you are not only reading this thread, but responding to it; thank you!

I do not say this to throw healthyvegan under the bus or for me to have excuses, but I did not, nor have I, read the article he referenced due to lack of time and only accessing the internet via my small screened smartphone which isn't conducive to reading. In all honesty, when I quickly read his post, I was concerned he may be a saboteur. But then I double checked to see who wrote it, recognized his username and know from reading previous posts of his and having looked a couple of times at his Instagram page that he is the real deal and felt that what he said must have validity. So, my stating that what he said was interesting is taking what he said at face value. If he sees and reads your post, I will let him address your question.

As for the newer article on B-12 that you linked, I read it and now that I did and also know your concerns, I feel compelled to seek out a hydroxy form for my family and myself, too. Thank you for your continued enlightenment!

If anyone ever tells me that you no longer advocate a starch-based diet, I will never believe them. Your continued non-changing advocacy of this way of eating for so many decades has been an achor, a rock upon which we returned after having drifted into other directions in the vegetarian/vegan community. We greatly appreciate the stability of your health message and are sold-out to it, as well. My family and I are forever grateful to you and Mary.
Mom+Me

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:17 pm

Your continued non-changing advocacy of this way of eating for so many decades has been an achor, a rock upon which we returned after having drifted into other directions in the vegetarian/vegan community.

These are my sentiments exactly. Excellent comment.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Mom+Me » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:14 am

Lyndzie wrote:
Your continued non-changing advocacy of this way of eating for so many decades has been an achor, a rock upon which we returned after having drifted into other directions in the vegetarian/vegan community.

These are my sentiments exactly. Excellent comment.

Awh gee...thank you, Lyndzie.
Mom+Me

Postby Grammy Ginger » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:34 am

I was really glad to learn about the new interview and listen to it. I've been taking only one form of b12 for years but will now get the other two for my arsenal. I'll also spend more time outdoors during the winter months. I've got gentle exercise and a starchy plant-based diet down perfectly. I'm working on the sunny disposition and brotherly love attitudes that I think are the final key.
Grammy Ginger

Return to The Lounge