Dairy Trend - This is interesting

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Dairy Trend - This is interesting

Postby gracezw » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:28 am

My guess is a lot of coconut flakes which are where all the saturated fat and calories come from.

Acura wrote:
You are up there with Jeff, Jim, how could you miss that? I was about to ask you did that cheese pass Jeff's test and then I saw the posts below. I was going to ask you what is that supposedly vegan cheese made up of?
gracezw

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:46 am

Kite Hill products are based on almonds. Their French onion dip is 30 cal for 2 tbsp (24g) and 2g fat, which is right in line with Jeff’s assessment regarding ~70% of calories from fat. Maybe my math is wrong, but I’m calculating a calorie density of 568/lb. So, density isn’t terrible, but the amount of fat is huge.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby f1jim » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:57 am

The Miyoko "cheese" I have purchased and tasted is the Black Ash product.
I am not recommending it here just listing it so everyone can see it's ingredients and nutritional makeup.

https://miyokos.com/collections/vegan-c ... ash-cheese

f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby gracezw » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:31 am

Thank you Jim! I got it here:

"Black Ash

Ingredients: Organic Cashews, Filtered Water, Sea Salt, Organic Rice Miso (Organic Rice, Water, Salt, Alcohol, Koji Culture), Fermented Oregano, Flaxseed And Plum, Nutritional Yeast, Vegetable Ash, Cultures."

I read the nutrition facts label too. It seems to have 65% calories from fat. The calorie density is 1,621 cal/lb.

f1jim wrote:The Miyoko "cheese" I have purchased and tasted is the Black Ash product.
I am not recommending it here just listing it so everyone can see it's ingredients and nutritional makeup.

https://miyokos.com/collections/vegan-c ... ash-cheese

f1jim
gracezw

Postby Mom+Me » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:14 am

Lyndzie wrote:Kite Hill products are based on almonds. Their French onion dip is 30 cal for 2 tbsp (24g) and 2g fat, which is right in line with Jeff’s assessment regarding ~70% of calories from fat. Maybe my math is wrong, but I’m calculating a calorie density of 568/lb. So, density isn’t terrible, but the amount of fat is huge.

What I always do is what I remember my mom telling me years ago as she read The McDougall Newsletter in paper form and Dr. M's books: Look at the grams of fat and multiply by 9. So in in this Kite Hill product (which my family and I have had--makes a quick + easy salad dressing when whisked with some water), 2 grams of fat x 9 calories per fat gram = 18 of the 30 total calories from fat. So when I'm processing numbers in my head in the store without a calculator, the dip is has a little less than 2/3rds of its calories coming from fat, or a little less than 66%, which would be in that <70% calories from fat guideline.
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby hoob » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:03 am

Borden milk files for bankruptcy

Quick summary:

Borden Dairy Co. filed for bankruptcy, becoming the second major U.S. milk seller to do so in two months as competitive pressures, declining consumption and falling profits made its debt load unsustainable.

Known for its mascot Elsie the Cow, the Dallas-based company listed assets and liabilities of between $100 million and $500 million in its Chapter 11 filing in Delaware. The company, founded more than 160 years ago, said in a statement that normal operations will continue while it works out a recovery plan.

“While milk remains a household item in the United States, people are simply drinking less of it,” Monaco said. “In parallel, since the turn of the century, the number of U.S. dairy farms has rapidly declined.”

That’s choking supply, with the price of raw milk up 27% since January 2019 and expected to rise more, even as retail prices and margins are dropping, court papers show. The same trends helped drive Borden’s larger rival, Dean Foods Co., to file for bankruptcy on Nov. 12.
hoob

Previous

Return to The Lounge