Pauling therapy

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Pauling therapy

Postby watchntv » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:26 pm

Im lost about Dr Mcdougals view on taking 5-15 grms of vit C a day (spread out)
lysine/proline
vit K2

Ie Linus Pauling therapy

I'm also unclear on whether I can eat eggwhites? fat free and full of lysine.proline.

thanks ya'll and Im glad to be here as I am a fan of Dr MCdougall, mostly from this anticancer video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyRuDpqYuvY
watchntv

Re: Pauling therapy

Postby Ltldogg » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:39 pm

watchntv wrote:Im lost about Dr Mcdougals view on taking 5-15 grms of vit C a day (spread out)
lysine/proline
vit K2

Ie Linus Pauling therapy

I'm also unclear on whether I can eat eggwhites? fat free and full of lysine.proline.

thanks ya'll and Im glad to be here as I am a fan of Dr MCdougall, mostly from this anticancer video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyRuDpqYuvY

Dr. McDougall does not recommend taking any supplement accept Vitamin B-12:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzPMyxwRbT4
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... pplements/

And egg whites are not part of the McDougall Program. You do not need to eat any animal product to get specific nutrients. Everything can be found in plants and without having to worry about amounts.

What you need to do is go to the How To Begin sub-forum and read through all 6 of the stickied threads at the top:
viewforum.php?f=14

Get reading, apply and enjoy good health :)

Cheers,
Scott
Ltldogg

Postby watchntv » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:57 pm

Ltldogg wrote:Dr. McDougall does not recommend taking any supplement accept Vitamin B-12:

And egg whites are not part of the McDougall Program. You do not need to eat any animal product to get specific nutrients. Everything can be found in plants and without having to worry about amounts.

Scott

Thanks for the reply Scott, I'll def get to reading, but I'm about to get to work and Im a fan of Pauling Therapy so well summed up in this great video by Dr Suzane Humpheries
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OQ7q7B99TA
and in many places by Dr Tom levey

I understand the eggwhites part, they increase IG F?
one of those Growth factors

but ornish allows them

I dont understand the lack of vit k2 OR vit C,...as Dr Humphries shows, animals make vit C like 200mg/kg while the FDA requirement for humans is like 10% of 1 gram
100mg at MOST
why cant does Mcdougall not say add more vit C (need vit C to make collagen which is in 40% of body protein??)
and vit k2?
that does so much, to keep calcium out of the soft tissue!!

are these questions answqered somewhere?

thaks, in a rush!!
watchntv

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:17 pm

Here is some info. Scroll down to the section on vit K.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7828
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Ltldogg » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:33 pm

watchntv wrote:Thanks for the reply Scott, I'll def get to reading, but I'm about to get to work and Im a fan of Pauling Therapy so well summed up in this great video by Dr Suzane Humpheries
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OQ7q7B99TA
and in many places by Dr Tom levey

I understand the eggwhites part, they increase IG F?
one of those Growth factors

but ornish allows them

I dont understand the lack of vit k2 OR vit C,...as Dr Humphries shows, animals make vit C like 200mg/kg while the FDA requirement for humans is like 10% of 1 gram
100mg at MOST
why cant does Mcdougall not say add more vit C (need vit C to make collagen which is in 40% of body protein??)
and vit k2?
that does so much, to keep calcium out of the soft tissue!!

are these questions answqered somewhere?

thaks, in a rush!!

First off, this is the McDougall Program, not the Ornish Program. Secondly, McDougall bases his recommendations on valid science. These other people you are listing and their recommendations are not to be trusted. There is absolutely no need to take supplements for health as you can get everything from plants, except B-12. Plus supplements are generally pissed out or even harmful to the body. So many studies show that supplementing with isolated vitamins and minerals has no effect.

If you want to know further why McDougall makes his recommendations, do a search on Google or on this site for the topic. Dr. McDougall has put out a ton of newsletters on very specific topics and Jeff Novick has also spoken towards such topics on these forums and on his own site. And if you want to know further, just email Dr. McDougall directly and ask him.

Cheers,
Scott
Ltldogg

Postby Willijan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:12 pm

The main reason, or at least one of them, that Dr. McDougall is against all supplements except B12 is that they cause harm. If you read his newsletters re: supplements he explains some of the research demonstrating this. If you are taking supplements you run a high risk of causing harm to your body. It is natural to get your nutrients from whole foods.

Also, Dr. T. Colin Campbell, the author of The China Study, has written another book called Whole, wherein he explains the importance of getting our food in whole, natural forms. We didn't evolve to eat pills. He also talks about the dangers of animal protein, not just animal fat.

There is a youtube video where Dr. Campbell talks about these principles of whole foods. I'll try to find it and post a link if I do. It is an excellent presentation from a research scientist.

Dr. McDougall knows what he is talking about. I would suggest you go strictly with what he says. I admire Dr. Ornish, but I don't think the rationale for his plan is as believable as is Dr. McDougall's. Read a lot, McDougall, Campbell, Esselstyn, Ornish, and make your own decision. That's what I have done, and I would never eat animal products.
Willijan

Postby dlee » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:50 pm

Willijan wrote:The main reason, or at least one of them, that Dr. McDougall is against all supplements except B12 is that they cause harm. If you read his newsletters re: supplements he explains some of the research demonstrating this. If you are taking supplements you run a high risk of causing harm to your body. It is natural to get your nutrients from whole foods.

Also, Dr. T. Colin Campbell, the author of The China Study, has written another book called Whole, wherein he explains the importance of getting our food in whole, natural forms. We didn't evolve to eat pills. He also talks about the dangers of animal protein, not just animal fat.

There is a youtube video where Dr. Campbell talks about these principles of whole foods. I'll try to find it and post a link if I do. It is an excellent presentation from a research scientist.

Dr. McDougall knows what he is talking about. I would suggest you go strictly with what he says. I admire Dr. Ornish, but I don't think the rationale for his plan is as believable as is Dr. McDougall's. Read a lot, McDougall, Campbell, Esselstyn, Ornish, and make your own decision. That's what I have done, and I would never eat animal products.

Well said Willjan I agree,
I loved Dr Campbells book 'the China study', it's really what tipped me into healthier eating. With Dr McDougall, Dr Esselstyn and all there is a plethora of material to delve into. 'Whole' is very thorough and a good follow up for starch based Whole food eating! Dlee
dlee

Postby watchntv » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:16 am

so no answers about vit C?

go search online to find answers?
why is "scott" so angry?
mcdougal won nobel prizes?? oh, that was linus pauling the dude who says take grams of vit C......you can't get grams from food
calm down LT digg...or is it scott? what is going on with the anger issues?
watchntv

Postby watchntv » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:19 am

Willijan wrote:The main reason, or at least one of them, that Dr. McDougall is against all supplements except B12 is that they cause harm. If you read his newsletters re: supplements he explains some of the research demonstrating this. If you are taking supplements you run a high risk of ca.

show me any harm done by vit C?

anything
did you watch the link I posted?animals make grams of vit C, cept a few mammals, ie humans/apes guinea pigs

give a guinea pig a diet of low vit C, they get heart dz
give a few grams of vit C, no heart disease
watchntv

Postby f1jim » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:50 am

When a claim is made for a supplement the burden of proof is on the person making the claim. Show us the data where any nutrient stops heart disease. Show us the data that proves the efficacy of vitamin K supplementation.
These claims have been with us for decades and no real studies to back them up.
As Scott has pointed out, the data on most supplementation show negative results, not positive.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby michaelswarm » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:08 am

watchntv wrote:so no answers about vit C?

When we eat abundant fruits and vegetables, all of which contain vitamin C, we are sufficient. No other primates make vitamin C either. From an evolution standpoint, we could afford to loose the capability because our natural diet supplied all of the vitamin C that we needed. It might also have been more efficient to use vitamin C from our ecosystem instead of making it, thus saving us energy.

Only when we eat insufficient fruits and vegetables and flood ourselves with other toxins do we see signs of insufficiency. Get to the root cause, eat plent of fruits and vegetables, avoid toxins, is preferred.

All of this is in Dr McDougall’s books, talks and videos.

watchntv wrote:you can't get grams from food

Food also includes many other antioxidants and cofactors, that can make the complete package more powerful than the individual parts. This is discussed with many excellent examples in Dr Campbell’s book Whole. If there are medical uses of vitamin C, in higher than natural amounts, is left to science to figure out. Burden of proof on researchers. But not be necessary for everyday use. And not even necessary to reverse many chronic disease.

Dr Ornish on many podcast interviews I have listened to clearly states no animal products is better than some. His thinking has evolved somewhat. It’s still in there for consistency with his documented research and plan. Dr Ornish has recently been interviewed by Rich Roll and others, and makes for very good listening.
michaelswarm

Postby JeffN » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:38 am

The OP is no longer a member of this forum

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to The Lounge