Is there an optimal hydration level?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Is there an optimal hydration level?

Postby Hal » Tue May 14, 2019 2:01 pm

Just wondering, does ideal level of hydration play a significant role in the autoimmune, cardio-vascular health equation?
Or can hydration level vary significantly without playing a role?

Is there a way to measure one's hydration level? If not, I guess we don't have serious data on hydration. :)
Hal

Re: Is there an optimal hydration level?

Postby f00die » Tue May 14, 2019 2:56 pm

Hal wrote:Just wondering, does ideal level of hydration play a significant role in the autoimmune, cardio-vascular health equation?
Or can hydration level vary significantly without playing a role?

Is there a way to measure one's hydration level? If not, I guess we don't have serious data on hydration. :)

dehydration
edema
congestive heart failure
some keywords
that might shed some light
on the issue
in general
f00die

Postby geo » Tue May 14, 2019 6:01 pm

Outside of mitigating factors*...the optimal hydration level is simply to drink water when thirsty. Thirst is the bodies natural mechanism for determining whether it is hydrated enough.

* Mitigating factors can run the gamout of disease states, drug usage (medical and non-medical), extreme physical activity levels, extreme thermal levels, etc...
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby colonyofcells » Tue May 14, 2019 9:38 pm

I just eat when I am hungry and I drink water when I feel thirsty.
colonyofcells

Postby PJK » Wed May 15, 2019 10:29 am

FYI, the "8 cups of water a day" notion has been thoroughly debunked. Turned out there was no scientific evidence for it.

Also, on the McD. diet you will get at least some of your required water directly from the food. The water content of most veg and fruit is quite high. Even a potato, which feels pretty solid, is 80% water:

https://www.reference.com/science/perce ... c0ee8bb4a4
PJK

Postby Poison Ivy » Mon May 20, 2019 5:11 am

If you drink 8 cups of water per day even when not thirsty, are you doing yourself harm? 8 cups and no more should not cause Hyponatremia should it?
Poison Ivy

Postby PJK » Tue May 21, 2019 9:20 am

I think the question is: Given that there is no scientific basis for the old "8 glasses a day" guidance, why would you want to drink 8 glasses a day?

Here's better guidance from the Mayo Clinic: "Drink water in moderation. Drinking water is vital for your health, so make sure you drink enough fluids. But don't overdo it. Thirst and the color of your urine are usually the best indications of how much water you need. If you're not thirsty and your urine is pale yellow, you are likely getting enough water."

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20373711
PJK

Postby openmind » Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:54 am

Just wanted to bump up this thread...

My father just went to the hospital with dehydration.

If 'drink when thirsty' is all we need, why do so many (elderly people especially) end up going to the hospital because of dehydration?

One theory I have is the diet. They either eat the wrong foods or don't get enough food, so they don't get enough water from the diet. The other theory is that the thirst function doesn't work as well in old age.

Thoughts?
openmind

Postby pundit999 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:21 am

If we eat only whole plants, we should get most of the water we need from the food only, as plants have lots of water, naturally or when cooked (such as beans).

I remember the former Whole Food CEO John Mackey saying that they don't drink much water as their diet supplies all they need.

'A plant-based diet is pretty high in water,' Mackey told CNBC's Make It.

'So, the actual truth is I don’t need to drink water most of the time.'

Having said that, lately I have been reminding myself to drink more water even when I am not especially thirsty. I probably ingest about 4-6 cups of additional water beyond food. I feel better and I have to go the bathroom less overnight.
If you go by your urine color, it may be too late by the time the color is too yellow.
pundit999

Postby DonnaElaine » Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:38 pm

I have observed that many elderly people are dehydrated because they have trouble getting to the bathroom on time to urinate. It’s hard to walk to the bathroom, or maybe it’s hard for them to pull down their clothes fast enough. So they get stressed and discouraged and decide not to drink much liquid and then they won’t have go through all that.
DonnaElaine

Postby Atheria » Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:04 pm

Two years ago some blood work I had done was great EXCEPT something in the tests showed I was dehydrated. The doctor told me to drink 2L of water a day. I annoyingly did for a year and added in an extra half L for good measure. Then I had to have blood drawn for PRP therapy in Feb. - April of 2022 and one day the nurse could not get blood out of me. She kept trying and trying. My poor arms got beat up! She said, "You are dehydrated." I was like, "What?! But I drink 2.5Ls of water a day on top of other liquids! So, I started forcing down 1 gallon of water a day besides other things I drink and the fact my diet is pretty high water content. I will admit that there was some improvement in terms of my body not bloating so bad on and off. But, I got sick of peeing all the time (including at night, which I'd never had before) and carrying around water everywhere. I now am back down to 2L a day and if I dry up into dust, so be it. LOL!

I do live at 7,199 feet elevation and work at 7,320 feet up on a mountain top in the desert. So there's that issue.

Anyway, there was something that could be seen in blood work to see if you're properly hydrated or not.

Waterly,
Atheria
~ ATHERIA ~
www.bridge4spirit.wordpress.com
Atheria

Postby Reed Mueller » Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:25 pm

Atheria wrote: I now am back down to 2L a day and if I dry up into dust, so be it. LOL!

I do live at 7,199 feet elevation and work at 7,320 feet up on a mountain top in the desert. So there's that issue.

Anyway, there was something that could be seen in blood work to see if you're properly hydrated or not.

Waterly,
Atheria

If you live in a desert that is very dry, there is an ideal humidity range for optimal health, and a humidifier can reduce the total water you need to drink per day. There are plenty of studies on how low humidity can dehydrate you as the moisture is removed from your lungs and skin, cause wrinkles, irritate throats, cause itchy eyes, and can dehydrate you. This is true not just for people, but for your home as well; low humidity can age your house, furniture, and art, and cause wood floors to crack and warp, and furniture to age quickly. Mitered corners can also shift and separate.

Keeping your indoor humidity in the 45-55% range with a humidifier can dramatically extend the life of your home. I bought a desert house and developed asthma for three years, but when I moved to the beach, it vanished. Mold, mites, allergies, fungi, viruses, respiratory infections, and asthma can all be controlled by humidity; getting the humidity in the 45-55% range indoors can dramatically increase your overall health.

See image: https://ibb.co/xhQg3FW
Reed Mueller

Postby MINNIE » Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:40 am

I usually don't give much thought to how much water I drink in terms of liquid cups.

The exception is when I'm exercising, or spending a lot of time outdoors in hot weather. Dehydration is sneaky, and we don't always know that its happening. So I make it a habit to keep a water bottle with me and drink at regular intervals even if I don't feel thirsty.

Another thing to factor in is how much water plant-eaters take in through food. I'm eating fruits, vegetables and cooked grains all day, and they are all mostly water. People who eat conventional American food are not doing this, and may need to track their water consumption and drink more of it.
MINNIE

Postby JeffN » Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:44 am

On optimal hydration levels…

https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... 5&#p632615

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to The Lounge