Vacation to Germany!

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Vacation to Germany!

Postby sirdle » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:39 am

In late June my wife and I are heading to Germany for two weeks. My first time, ever, overseas. :-P

We're looking for ideas of things to see and do and, more importantly, strategies for managing food: from the 11-hour plane flight... to ordering unfamiliar food in a language we don't speak... to handling social gatherings and celebrations.

On top of my list are: see a castle, hike in the Black Forest, and visit Hansel and Gretel. I think if I stick to the McDougall plan, I should be okay: NO GINGERBREAD! :P

What are you favourite things to do in Germany?

What can we do about food while on vacation in an unfamiliar country?

Ideas welcome. :nod:

Cheers,

-----
edit - changed post title
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Re: Vacation to Germany!

Postby Plumerias » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:27 pm

Okay, just off the top of my head............Where in Germany would be useful here, but I'll punt anyways. We were in Germany for two months last summer.

ARE YOUR PASSPORTS IN ORDER?

Things to see and do: Do some serious research. Get Rick Steves' Germany book, either from your library or buy one. NOW! See if your PBS station has any of his programs. You don't need to follow him to the letter, but he is great for making beginners understand that they can indeed do this. When you've done that, if there are any places we went to that interest you, I'd be glad to help.

If you choose only one castle in Germany, well, we chose Burg Eltz. https://burg-eltz.de/en/
I can't help with hiking in the Black Forest or Hansel and Gretel.

Language: Practice a few key phrases, like saying hello and goodbye, please and thank you, where is the toilet, excuse me, and do you speak English. You can do this on Google translate, which will help you with pronunciation. It was our experience that most younger German people spoke at least some English, while the elders not necessarily so much. But good manners will go a long way, as will a smile and a nod, even if that's all you speak. If your cell phone has Google translate on it, great, you can use that for menu translations. Perhaps a language dictionary borrowed from the library would also make you feel more comfortable. I like to look up the produce items so I understand the names. Oh, and so many times when we didn't understand, younger people would just switch to English.

Strategies for managing food: My first question here is what types of places are you planning to stay? We go the Airbnb route, always having a kitchen. You don't need to speak any of the local language to buy produce at the grocery store, it all looks the same! :-D So mostly we cook our own food. We were there during strawberry season and spargel (asparagus) season, as well as getting new crop potatoes. See, no translations necessary. I even did it at farm stands, just point and pay, and say thank you.
Many restaurant menus are multilingual today.

German breads kick ass! We don't eat PB&J at home, but we did there.

Food for flights: I pack picnic foods for the plane, going and returning. Here's an old one I wrote: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25798&p=257713&hilit=traveling+by+air#p257713
I also pack a fresh tube of rice cakes, complete with a plastic bag and twist tie, in my backpack.
I don't know where you live, and thus what your possible airline options are. We flew Norwegian out of Orlando, as that's where we park our RV in the winter. They do have a vegan option, which, although not oil free, were okay, but small.
Do not plan on departing the plane with anything perishable. I dumped food before deplaning. Please be mindful of taking potential allergens like peanuts.

Okay, that should get you started!

PS, while not necessarily oil free, Berlin is delightfully vegan friendly.
Plumerias

Postby Plumerias » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:16 pm

I tend to forget, since we don't have the option of watching lots of videos with our internet in the RV, that other can indeed do so, sorry.

https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen

https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-l ... eo/tv-show
Plumerias

Postby sirdle » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:50 pm

Those are some seriously-good suggestions there! Thank you!

Right now it looks like we'll fly into Frankfurt and spend most of our time within a few hours of Heidelburg (Neuburg am Rhein, Saint Hippolyte, Viernheim, Freiberg am Neckar). Burg Eltz isn't too far from there. We might nip over into France.

We will probably go the AirBnB route.

Passports are in order... not sure if we need visas or not. Some much to learn in so short a time!

Cheers,
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby BlueOrange » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:58 pm

I live in Germany, and I don't ever eat out anymore, with the sole exception of celebratory vegan sushi once or twice a year.

My experience with ordering compliant food hasn't been good. It's easy to get vegan food, but nearly impossible to get oil-free food. They'll all assure you that they don't use much oil, but of course they do—they simply don't know any better.

You will have to compromise if you go to a restaurant. In that case you'll find a great variety of traditional, modern, and international cuisine to try.

Germans are getting used to people having different diets so don't be too afraid to ask questions and to discuss your needs.

Some German words:
vegetarian = vegetarisch [vay-gay-TORE-ish]
vegan = vegan [vay-GONE]
low-fat = fettarm [FET-arm]
not much oil = wenig Öl [way-nish ALE]
low sodium = salzarm [SALTS-arm]
whole grain = Vollkorn [FOLL-corn]
small portion = kleine Portion [klah-een-ah ports-ee-OWN]
vegetables = Gemüse [gay-MEE-sah]

When I travel in Germany I live off bread, fruit, dried fruit, oatmeal, dry cereal with plant milk, pre-cooked potatoes, canned beans, canned vegetables, and the like.

Every grocery store will have some variety of compliant bread and cereal, and lots of pre-cooked vegetables in cans and glasses (albeit inevitably with some salt), and frozen vegetables.

German drug-stores which can be found in every city center (such as DM, Rossmann, Budnikowsky, or Müller) will have a great selection of "health food", especially whole grain pasta, whole grains like quinoa or millet, plant milks, dried fruit, and compliant sauces.

Other great places to shop are the so-called reform houses, "Reformhaus". They can be found in shopping centers and busy places of town. They are somewhat similar to US health food stores, so they have lots of junk such as supplements and "healthy" snacks, but also lots of whole grains, dried fruit, dried legumes, spices, teas, nutritional yeast, sauces and condiments, and lots of gluten-free and other specialty foods.
Reform houses are very typical for German-speaking regions, and are somewhat historically connected to our WFPB way of life as they are part of the larger health movement, in this case the influential so-called life reform/"Lebensreform". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebensreform

It will be tricky choosing compliant products if you can't read the ingredients.
* avoid any ingredients ending in "-öl" which is oil, such as Sonnenblumenöl, Rapsöl, Olivenöl, Palmöl
* avoid "Schmalz" = lard
* common dairy products: Milch, Käse (and anything ending in or containing -käse-), Molke, Molkereierzeugnis, Butter, Butterreinfett, Vollmilchpulver, Magermilchpulver, Quark, Rahm, Laktose, Milchzucker

I'm probably forgetting some important ingredients. Maybe somebody already compiled some sort of phrase book/ingredient list for travelling McDougallers with translations into different languages?

If you drink alcohol do enjoy German beer, but every grocery store, bar, and restaurant will have alcohol-free beer, and most of it is pretty good and a nice treat, especially on a hot day or after lots of activity.

In Frankfurt I especially enjoyed the guided tour of the remade old city center. It opened last year. It's a breathtaking mixture of old and new architecture completely rebuilt from scratch after being destroyed in the war. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dom-R%C3%B6mer_Project

Germany is a great place to walk and hike. Most towns and regions will have some sort of marked hiking trails called Wanderwege. You can look them up online, or get free brochures in the local tourist information center.

June is a perfect time for riding (rental) bicycles. There are marked biking routes/"Radwanderwege" everywhere.

Most Germans are nice and helpful most of the time, and most of them speak some sort of English, but if you need some help from a fellow McDougaller send me a message.
BlueOrange
BlueOrange

Postby Plumerias » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:58 am

sirdle wrote:Those are some seriously-good suggestions there! Thank you!

Right now it looks like we'll fly into Frankfurt and spend most of our time within a few hours of Heidelburg (Neuburg am Rhein, Saint Hippolyte, Viernheim, Freiberg am Neckar). Burg Eltz isn't too far from there. We might nip over into France.

We will probably go the AirBnB route.

Passports are in order... not sure if we need visas or not. Some much to learn in so short a time!

Cheers,

Okay, a couple more thoughts. First and very important, do not underestimate the effects of jetlag! I participate (occasionally, mostly I read) in the Rick Steves' discussion forum. This is one of the mistakes that first time travelers make, thinking they can de-plane and hit the ground running. Unless you slept well the entire flight, you can't. Plus, from the east coast one must deal with a six hour time difference, and that's just not easy.

No visa is necessary. For future reference, in the event that you are able to take an extended trip, understand that for US and Canadian citizens, stays are limited to 90 of 180 days within the Schengen zone. https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/ As our trips are longer, ah, mobile retirement, we design Schengen compliant itineraries. We try to have our passports stamped, both for fun, and just in case there is a question at passport control. Otherwise it's done electronically.

European trains are so easy, once you figure it out. So depending on your choices, you may travel exclusively by train. If you plan to rent a car, in addition to doing your homework and understanding your options, know that you should have an international driving permit, abbreviated IDP. This costs about twenty dollars at your local AAA. It's not necessary to rent the car, but should you have to deal with the police, you will need it. The word autobahn, you know, the famous autobahn, well, I looked it up, and it means highway. DH did indeed enjoy the experience of putting the pedal to the metal, but it's just permission to go fast in the fast lane. See, I was a bit nervous. We did rent a car when we arrived in Trier (from Brussels, by train), because of the itinerary we designed. We returned it in another city, which is normal. Do not plan to rent in Germany and turn the car in in France, cross country return fees are very high.

Assume that while this is your very first trip (yay), it will not be your last. You don't have to do everything on your list. Europe isn't going anywhere. Those old buildings have been and still will be there. The people, the cultural learning, will still be there. Don't plan so much that you are just running flat out all the time.

Just curious, why Heidelberg?

June is also time for the roses to bloom, which is just lovely.

Now, start reading! ;-)
Plumerias

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:36 pm

Don't forget about the Happy Cow app on your cell phone. And also the Meetup app. We used that on our first trip to Paris, and ended up meeting with a group of vegans going to a beginning tango class. Made some friends, which through other friends eventually led to a house swap near Paris a few years later.

House swaps are my favorite way to travel. Live in a neighborhood, and take little side trips. Cost, practically $0. Do what you can to meet other McDougallers and host them in your home. You can travel more and have MUCH MORE FUN!!!
Vanilla Orchid

Return to The Lounge