Anybody familiar with Mealthy Multi-pot?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Anybody familiar with Mealthy Multi-pot?

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:16 pm

I know Instant Pot is "the thing" and that's what most buy. It has 28,761 reviews on Amazon for cryin' out loud! But the Mealthy MultiPot

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076QJNK8G/

looks like an identical knock off for same price with a few extras like included steamer basket, second inner cooking container... AND if get an Amazon credit card you get $70 off the price YOW!!!. Easy enough to cancel the card in a week or two. I checked w/ the companies and the working temps at different settings appear to be nearly identical.

Looking for anyone with experience with it, esp if you've also used Instant Pot. Comparison of build quality, ease of interface, whatever stands out...

Thanks!
GeoffreyLevens

Re: Anybody familiar with Mealthy Multi-pot?

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:46 pm

Oh, oops! Just went back and discovered that you have to pay $79 for the card so not such a great deal.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:52 pm

Reading endless reviews. Appears they are nearly identical with a few very minor differences. One thing stands out though is there are quite a number of reviews on Mealthy on Amazon claiming to have owned/used both it and Instant Pot and think the Mealthy is a bit faster to get to full temp and a bit easier to figure out functions. Of course they could be "planted" reviews, no way to tell that.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Vegankit » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:26 pm

I did feel I was reading a lot of planted marketing in the ratings - but clearly many of the reviews are real.

I own two Instant Pots and I'm thrilled with mine and use the regularly - and I'm not in the market for another. Mine came with a steaming rack but I also use one of those cheap steamer baskets, https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Vegeta ... bles&psc=1 in my instant pot. If you own one then you might not find that extra basket is of any additional value.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:56 am

Thanks! I don't own a steaming basket. I have a Presto, jiggle weight pressure cooker mfg'd in 1973 (according to company when I called w/ the numbers stamped on bottom of pot) and a Wolfgang Puck very deep sided sauté pan that I got a silicon lid for. This one is my go to for daily "stir fry stews). I cook beans in the pc, sweet potatoes in a CrockPot. Time for new rubber gasket in the pc and because it's so old, every time they get harder to find and more expensive. I'm thinking post Christmas sales it might be time for an upgrade. Right now, the Mealthy is in the lead since they seem about identical but it does come with more extras and, thin rumors that it might be a bit faster to reach full pressure.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby spinner » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:25 am

Consider this: there are so many IPs out there that you will not have any problems finding replacement seals, etc. for them in the future. The Mealthy brand parts may be harder to find.
I use my 6 qt IP almost daily for rice, dried beans, potatoes, soups, and root veggies. I batch cook and freeze in 2 cup containers. I too had a jiggle top pressure cooker for many years. The electric pressure cooker is way easier and my results are more consistant. I am never without a good compliant meal in the freezer that I can zap and eat at the end of a long day. If my IP died tomorrow, I would buy another in a heartbeat. My husband concurs! :)
spinner

Postby hoob » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:53 am

I bought a Cuisinart pressure cooker last year at Christmas and it was great for the time it worked. I used it frequently and then it quit sealing sometime in October. Parts were easy to find and I purchased a seal kit off of Amazon for $15. It did not solve the problem. I ended up throwing it away. It still kind of chaps me about the quality of things today. Anyway, I share that to let people know that parts availability can be overrated.

I have an Instant Pot now and it has been just fine, but it seems to take forever to build up pressure compared to the Cuisinart.
hoob

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:44 am

That time factor to pressure is a big deal to me. I purchased a Mueller 10-in1 Pro Series 18 and returned it in a couple days. Discovered (my bad not reading enough first) that its max pressure is considerably lower than IP or Mealthy (which are the same and both lower than stove top). The max pressure determines the water temp and therefore cooking time. The Mueller top temp on slow cooker function is same as other two and at 6000 feet where I live, 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes took 15 hours to be even edible and really, were not nearly what I consider "done" i.e. squishy soft and very sweet. I fear the same with IP and Mealthy for slow cooking which I have done a lot of in CrockPot slow cooker (40 degrees higher temp there).

Going to at least wait until after Christmas and see what goes on sale.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby spinner » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:38 pm

It may take any pressure cooker, stovetop or electric, more time to reach pressure at 6000 ft. Have you found this to be the case?

My grandparents lived in Estes Park and used a pressure cooker to prepare food. Seems like a good appliance to have in CO.
spinner

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:12 pm

spinner wrote:It may take any pressure cooker, stovetop or electric, more time to reach pressure at 6000 ft. Have you found this to be the case?

Takes longer up to pressure and longer to cook whatever. BUT standard in U.S. is 15 psi. Both IP and Mealthy are about 10 ~ 11.5psi when at cooking pressure. Mealthy says theirs goes to 15 psi when start up then drops back once it hits that level. I think a pc of some sort is almost a must have for altitude!
GeoffreyLevens

Postby patty » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:40 pm

It sounds great. It is a one time purchase so if it fits your needs I’d say go for it. I have the Cuisinart and no problems. It doesn’t have the stainless insert.

Aloha, patty
patty

Return to The Lounge