New Plant-Based Study you can Join Today - Tuft's ADAPT

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

New Plant-Based Study you can Join Today - Tuft's ADAPT

Postby geo » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:44 pm

I recieved this emal the other day on a new Plant-Based Study thats looking for 10,000 participants and also looking for volunteers to help manage the Plantrician Project trying to gather up all the plant based nutritian studies!

ADAPT - Tuft's Adhearing to Dietary Approaches for Personal Tastes Study

"Get Involved and Join the Tufts ADAPT Study!

Dear Friends,

I just had the pleasure of presenting a workshop at the International Plant-Based Nutrition Healthcare Conference in San Diego this past weekend. Wow. What an inspiring event - 1,000 physicians and other practitioners in the same room talking about using plant-based nutrition to treat chronic disease. We have entered the future and it's looking good!

One of the recurring themes was the need to do more research on plant-based diets - because that how we can bring more scientific attention to plant-based nutrition and eventually influencing policy. So it is with great excitement that I can invite you to join the Tufts Adhering to Dietary Approaches (ADAPT) Study - the first study of its kind to examine factors that predict adherence among all types of popular diets, including people who self-identify as whole food plant-based, vegan, vegetarian, whole food, low-carb, Paleo, Mediterranean, and even no diet at all! My thesis advisor during my PhD and the Principal Investigator of ADAPT, Dr. Nicola McKeown, wants to recruit 10,000 participants for the ADAPT Study to match the approximately 10,000 who participated during our Feasibility Survey.

With your help as a participant, and your help in spreading the word, we can do it!

Click here to join the full ADAPT Study by completing the consent form - https://tufts.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_2hP3fzEmLnYVhm5
Click here to read more about ADAPT on the ADAPT homepage - hnrca.tufts.edu

First ADAPT Study Paper Published in Current Development in Nutrition

Click here to read the full article - academic.oup.com

Interested in Volunteering?

Thanks to The Plantrician Project, Andréa Dunnam is in the role of Project Manager and coordinates volunteer efforts to screen more studies. If you have volunteered in the past or would like to start, please email her at [email protected] and she can add you to our monthly training meetings. We do need more volunteers - there's a lot of relevant research out there we need to add. The time commitment is very minimal and it's nice change to get to know the literature.
PlantBasedResearch.org | MicaelaKarlsen.com
Follow: Follow Me On Twitter"

Sorry the links didn't come thru on the email cut/paste so I typed them in...if they don't work let me know...
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Re: New Plant-Based Study you can Join Today - Tuft's ADAPT

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:53 pm

Thanks geo! I’m pretty sure this study has been ongoing for a while now. Here is the part of the study I question: they request that participants complete a food diary from recall.

Quote: “However, there is one more important dietary questionnaire we'd like to ask you to do - it's a 24-hour diet recall, and it asks you to report what you ate in the last 24 hours. This information will help us better understand what people who follow your diet eat on a day-to-day basis.

The survey is unannounced - we can't tell you ahead of time when you'd get it - but it would be sometime in the weeks following the 6th week. You'd only have 24 hours to complete it, so you would have to respond to the email you get right away. This is because people tend to forget what they ate more than 1 day in the past, and they sometimes change what they eat if they know in advance they'll have to report it.”

I have doubts about the accuracy of this information. If you asked me what I ate yesterday, there is no way it would be accurate. I may have better eating habits today if I know that I need to report it, but it’s at least more accurate than trying to remember what I had yesterday (I can’t even remember if I had breakfast or skipped it and went straight to lunch).

That being said, I’ll sign up for it.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Yomom » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:38 pm

I signed up for this study, and have already completed the initial survey. As for the food survey, I will have no troubke recalling what I ate - my eating pattern is So Simple (the MWL 50:50 plate).
Yomom

Postby Lacey » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:47 pm

I took part in the study awhile ago. I was excited to represent followers of the McDougall way of eating. I have to say that I was disappointed in parts of the study and I sent an email to them explaining what my concerns were. I received a response and I hope that some of the problems have been fixed. When I did my 24 hour recall I had no problem recalling what I had eaten, and even though it took quite awhile to do it (what time of day did I drink every glass of water?) I was very happy to participate. After completing the survey I was able to see the conclusions they had for what I had eaten. It showed that I had consumed a fair amount of cholesterol. From what??? I have eaten this way for many years. I read every label of any packaged food I buy and I did not eat any animal products. I had eaten some sushi for lunch that day and even though I listed out the vegetable ingredients that I had consumed maybe there was an assumption that I had eaten fish, even though I did not list it? Who knows. There were a couple of other things listed that were not correct in the conclusions as well. When I filled out the initial questionnaire (not the 24 hour recall) I remember being asked about the frequency of eating certain foods, but there was no place to explain. For example, it asked if I ate pizza. Yes, I often eat pizza. My pizza uses the Engine 2 pizza crust (oil free) as a base and is topped with oil free sauce and a lot of vegetable toppings. If I got added to some group of regular pizza eaters I feel quite certain that virtually any other pizza is not eating the same pizzas that I am. Same with Mexican food (though it may have more specifically asked about salsa consumption). Yes, I eat Mexican food frequently. The restaurant where I eat it has named the special meal they serve me by my name and it consists of plain rice with mixed veggies, whole beans, salsas, steamed vegetables and corn tortillas. Yes, it is Mexican food and yes, I eat it regularly but again there was no place to explain that it is oil free.

All that said, I was happy to participate. I just don't know how accurate any conclusions could be that they drew from my data. If you participate I would urge you to check the conclusions from your 24 hour diet and if something seems off, let them know. Also, if the questions have not been changed to reflect that there are people who don't consume oil (and I have to add that some questions gave me a place to specify, but not all did) you might want to contact them as I did.
Lacey

Postby MINNIE » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:24 am

I did this last year. I don't know how useful my information was, because this WOE is still such an outlier. I did write to the them and volunteer to participate in any future study of plant-based diets. (Who knows if that will ever happen).

I eat such a mnimalist diet, and consume pretty much the same things every day that it was very easy to remember.

Probably awfully boring to read though:).
MINNIE

Return to The Lounge