Great Northern Beans

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Great Northern Beans

Postby Willijan » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:01 pm

Has anyone tried buying Great Northern beans online lately? I usually buy Bob's Red Mill brand. When every site I tried was out, including Bob's Red Mill, I emailed BRM and yes, they said they no longer carry them. I am wondering if anyone else has been unable to get them.
I don't buy them at local grocery stores, because I've never found those to be good quality.
I am wondering if there has been a crop failure, or if these are subject to a new tariff, or perhaps I am blind.
I also found several of my known sources out of stock on cannellini.
I want to make soup!! With white beans!
Willijan

Re: Great Northern Beans

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:42 pm

Willijan wrote:Has anyone tried buying Great Northern beans online lately? I usually buy Bob's Red Mill brand. When every site I tried was out, including Bob's Red Mill, I emailed BRM and yes, they said they no longer carry them. I am wondering if anyone else has been unable to get them.
I don't buy them at local grocery stores, because I've never found those to be good quality.
I am wondering if there has been a crop failure, or if these are subject to a new tariff, or perhaps I am blind.
I also found several of my known sources out of stock on cannellini.
I want to make soup!! With white beans!

I typically buy Great Northern beans in the regular grocery store. You can buy Camellia Brand online. I've never had them, but they're supposed to be a good brand. https://www.camelliabrand.com/
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby viv » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:34 pm

Are they the same as Butter Beans? If so I had a delicious dinner tonite of half a can of Goya butter beans and steamed fresh kale. I bought them at my local Giant. I love the Goya brand, they are very tasty with an authentic latin flavor. I used to think they were manufactured in Mexico but have since learned the Goya factory is in New Jersey and they are the largest Hispanic owned food company in the U.S.
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby victw » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:38 pm

I buy my beans from Rancho Gordo on-line.
https://www.ranchogordo.com/collections/heirloom-beans

More than grocery store - but fresh and interesting. I'm not a big white bean eater - so not sure if they have what you are looking for.

Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby Cora Summerfield » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:43 am

Cora Summerfield

Postby Willijan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:32 am

Thank you, everyone, for the good ideas of where to get these. I did look at a new brand at Walmart today that looked pretty good.
But I'd rather try online. I'll probably try Rancho Gordo.
No, they are very different than butter beans, which also sound delicious. But Great Northern are more like cannellini. I started using them when I couldn't find any cannellini I liked.
It is nice to have a place where I can get such good advice! Thank you everyone!
Oh, I emailed Bob's Red Mill again, and they said it was probably just low demand that caused them to stop offering them. And I thought they were a pretty popular bean. They are available canned in most every grocery store I've ever shopped in. I guess it just means most people don't cook them from scratch. They are very good in Heather McDougall's Kitchen Sink Soup.
Willijan

Postby jamietwo » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:52 pm

I use Navy Beans interchangeably with Great Northern Beans. You can always cook up a batch and freeze them in whatever serving size you prefer. When I buy canned beans, I usually just buy them at Sprouts.
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby 1942smithcorona » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:24 pm

Buying beans on line sounds so costly, so I don't do it. I've got access to great bulk places, though, so no need to buy food on line. And no packaging. I made a bunch of linen produce bags and tote bags so I don't have to use the plastic produce bags, although the ones at the natural grocery are Biobags.
1942smithcorona

Return to The Lounge