Documentary: The Human Longevity Project

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Documentary: The Human Longevity Project

Postby gracezw » Tue May 08, 2018 8:12 pm

I just signed up for this. Is anybody here interested too?

Introducing The Human Longevity Project – Health Researcher, Jason Prall, Takes You On An Exciting Journey Around The Globe To Learn From The World’s Healthiest Centenarians – And Shows You How To Apply Their Ancient Wisdom To Your Modern Life.

First-of-it's-Kind 9 Part Documentary Filmed Over 2 Years, in Over 50 Locations, with Over 90 Expert Interviews – Don’t Miss Your Chance To Watch, for FREE, in Its Entirety For Those Who Sign Up Today.

Jason Prall spent the last two years traveling around the world visiting all the Blue Zones (where the longest living people live) and interviewing researchers, experts and people over 100 years young, who truly are longevity experts!

https://humanlongevityfilm.com/thlp-gen ... 22aa2148fc
gracezw

Re: Documentary: The Human Longevity Project

Postby colonyofcells » Tue May 08, 2018 8:42 pm

Will review the videos if I have time. There will probably be some pseudoscience since some of the people in the video are paleo diet people, chiropractors, promoters of chinese acupuncture, people who claim that mental illness medicines are not good, etc. The people involved looks like a who's who of pseudoscience: https://humanlongevityfilm.com/experts/
First video is mainly pseudoscience talk about mitochondria which sounds like a video about quantum healing if you just replace the word mitochondria with the equally nonsense words quantum healing.
colonyofcells

Postby gracezw » Tue May 08, 2018 9:35 pm

Thank you for the list of experts. I don’t know most of them.

colonyofcells wrote:Will review the videos if I have time. There will probably be some pseudoscience since some of the people in the video are paleo diet people, chiropractors, promoters of chinese acupuncture, people who claim that mental illness medicines are not good, etc. The people involved looks like a who's who of pseudoscience: https://humanlongevityfilm.com/experts/
First video is mainly pseudoscience talk about mitochondria which sounds like a video about quantum healing if you just replace the word mitochondria with the equally nonsense words quantum healing.
gracezw

Postby colonyofcells » Thu May 10, 2018 12:57 am

Ep 2 had an old person promoting the cupping cure which is unfortunately pseudoscience. Cupping cure is still quite popular in china and some even use it to treat cancer but it is pseudoscience and does not work.
colonyofcells

Postby gracezw » Thu May 10, 2018 8:16 am

How much of Ep 2 did you watch? I did not watch any of it. What disease is the cupping cure promoted in Ep 2 trying to reduce or remove?

colonyofcells wrote:Ep 2 had an old person promoting the cupping cure which is unfortunately pseudoscience. Cupping cure is still quite popular in china and some even use it to treat cancer but it is pseudoscience and does not work.
gracezw

Postby geo » Thu May 10, 2018 12:23 pm

After the first episode all I could do was roll my eyes. You would think if your going to talk about human longevity you would start by at least explaining what is ment by longevity...is living to the average age of 80 (with half a dozen chronic diseases and taking a dozen pills and potions to aleviate symptoms and pain) longevity? Is it adding a few more years to that with ever worsening chronic disease longevity? Is improving quality of life part of longevity? Does being able to do what you want, when you want into old age longevity? Is being dirt poor and living in a lot of what we might call "third world countries" longevity? I mean there is so mamy questions that should be answered up front so we know what we are talking about.

But instead they go straight into the minutia of science, mitochondria and ATP, and genes and epigenetics, telemores, etc... all at a very cursory level but trying to show how mitochondria is semingly the most important thing in longevity. But without actually stating their point of starting with mitochondria. I love science and consider myself well versed, but I was falling asleep at this stuff. I can only imagine the average american who remembers virtually nothing of high school AP Biology or Biology 101 in college will be scratching there heads over this stuff.

Then they kept jumping back and forth in small snippets between all these different "doctors", and "experts" so the whole subject felt compeletly disjointed and non-sensical. It seemed to be lots of one or two line sentences between science fact, science hypothesis, psuedo-scienc and new-age touchy-feely BS.

Sorry but this series is going to be a disaster and waste of time. Wheres the real science?

OK so I gave it another chance and just watched the second episode and it was just more of the same crap this time again about mitochondria and the human microbiome. They really seem to be focused on mitochondria being the important point but without just coming out and saying it. There were some interesting facts given...such as 78% of the microbes reside in our gut (though they didn't define what gut is? is it the intestines or stomach or both or more?) That the gut has about 4 lbs of microbes in it on any day....thats a huge ball of microbes (and sounds kind of disgusting, lol)!

But again it was a mish-mash of science, psuedo science, and new-agey crap. I eventually gave up about half way through it. I doubt I'll watch too much more until they get to their recommendations on whatever longevity they are trying to talk about. Sorry if anyone thinks I'm being too critical but I've read many books on longevity and life extension and these folks seem to have an agenda that probably wont come out until the last episode.

If you really want to know how to extend your life or at least "squareing the curve" to make your life as healthy as possible, you can easily find this here within the writings of Dr McDougall and JeffN.

We already know that we can gain 14 quality years of life just doing 5 simple things:

1. don't smoke
2. drink modestly
3. keep a healthy BMI
4. Eat a healthy diet
5. Exercise a bit

I would go even further and say:

My 14 step program for a long healthy rewarding life

1. dont smoke or use other drugs illicitly
2. dont drink
3. keep your BMI between 18.5 and 22
4. Follow the MWL program strictly
5. Exercise moderately 30 mins to an hour, everyday and generally stay active
6. Drink clean water
7. breathe clean air
8. Get plenty of sleep, relax and meditate
9. enjoy the love of friends and family
10. follow the golden rule
11. Have and practice some faith
12. don't worry, be happy
13. Keep learning your entire life and stay curious
14. And finally, start now, don't put it off. If the science changes, then change with it as needed...(but I doubt that will be the case)

Have a great day and remember, its starts and ends with you and only you :nod:
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby colonyofcells » Thu May 10, 2018 12:24 pm

Cupping therapy story was for some minor disease and probably not clear from the story and from unreliable memory of the old person.
colonyofcells

Postby gracezw » Thu May 10, 2018 1:59 pm

That makes sense.

colonyofcells wrote:Cupping therapy story was for some minor disease and probably not clear from the story and from unreliable memory of the old person.
gracezw

Postby gracezw » Thu May 10, 2018 2:00 pm

Cupping therapy has been used by top athletes and celebrities for pain release.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 78731.html
gracezw

Postby gracezw » Thu May 10, 2018 2:04 pm

Geo, thank you for your review of the first episode. I would have been disappointed too if I watched it.
gracezw

Postby colonyofcells » Thu May 10, 2018 2:25 pm

There was a newbie chinese actress who could not afford cancer treatment and so she went with the cheaper cupping therapy popular in china which did not work (no surprise): http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-37370201
colonyofcells

Postby gracezw » Thu May 10, 2018 3:54 pm

It is sad to hear about her death. Many people in China know that cupping therapy and other traditional medicine treatments are not meant for cancer.

I wonder if she had had money for her Lymphoma, how big the chance would it have been for the chemo to treat her successfully.

colonyofcells wrote:There was a newbie chinese actress who could not afford cancer treatment and so she went with the cheaper cupping therapy popular in china which did not work (no surprise): http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-37370201
gracezw

Postby colonyofcells » Thu May 10, 2018 10:13 pm

I watched ep 3 and just noticed that some of the old people they are interviewing are actually obese. Some of the experts are also obese.
Last edited by colonyofcells on Fri May 11, 2018 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
colonyofcells

Postby gracezw » Thu May 10, 2018 10:20 pm

Do the old people live in the blue zones?

colonyofcells wrote:I watched ep 3 and just noticed that some of the old people they are interviewing are actually obese.
gracezw

Postby colonyofcells » Thu May 10, 2018 10:53 pm

The old people they are interviewing are from the blue zones altho some are less than 70 years old.
colonyofcells

Next

Return to The Lounge