What helped you to make a permanent change?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: What helped you to make a permanent change?

Postby TerriT » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:17 am

I've been following this WOE for 10 years now. I didn't have serious health problems to motivate me, but I come from a long-lived family and wanted to stay in good health well into old age. Some of the things that have helped me make a permanent change:

• Reading as many of the plant-based books and watching as many videos as I could get my hands on
  • Trying out new recipes and saving my favourites in a binder to make over and over; once I had a repertoire of recipes to cook from it became easier
  • Keeping it simple: I have the same thing for breakfast every day, and the same lunch about 5-6 times per week
  • Developing the habit of taking food to work or when out and about: we have an assortment of leak-proof containers and my husband and I take a container of carrot sticks and another of pre-chopped fruit to work every day
  • Having more than one reason for eating this way. It started for me with health, but over time the environmental and animal welfare reasons have also become important.
TerriT

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:04 am

To start with, it was about my health, and it became more about the animals (which opened me up to eating more oils, because hello there are many refined oils that are vegan) and I'm back to full bore again for my health, because eating "vegan" I added pounds and many aches and pains because I wasn't careful with the fats. Now I'm ditching the oil for my health, but animal flesh simply hasn't been a part of my life in 10 years. Oh...I do have a slice of dark meat on Thanksgiving, and I DO eat hard boiled eggs at Easter. That part hasn't been difficult for me.

What is helping more than anything is being on this forum frequently, and I am tracking my meals on the menu board to give myself some motivation. It's working! I lost four lbs in Feb and my knee is not killing me any more. But just so you know, you aren't the first person to struggle with staying compliant. I've been McDougalling for 10 years and have strayed a few times, gained a bit and lost it again when I got serious again...and back serious again, because DAYUM I gained some WEIGHT! but I've never gone back to eating junk food, nor animal flesh.

I really do live by my motto "Just Don't Eat It" ... that's helped me a lot, even though I don't follow it perfectly. But when the old man has cookies and potato chips around? Yeah. Just Don't Eat It becomes invaluable.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:57 am

Wise words. Actually I am not in the position to explain my food decisions to others, yet. Well except for my husband. Others haven't noiced so far. But the weekend will be a challenge, because my work mates and I will be on a trade fair. It's the first time for me joining them and it's already difficult for me. We will be accommodated in a hotel, which is famous for it's breakfast. I checked the hotel website and saw pictures of it. All I saw was eggs in every way, several sausages and tons of bacon. Then there is this team custom to dine out together after each day of the fair. They usually visit a famous steakhouse one day and some kind of brewery with meat specialties ther other day. I'm so going to be the killjoy... I know it.

Oh, those breakfast buffets! oy! But there will likely be oatmeal on hand, and I bet some fresh fruit will be offered. Also, nothing wrong with toast and jam skip the butter. Though we all know the bread was made with oil, but I'd put that kind of thing aside temporarily (i.e. oils used in a recipe for cooking some food or other) Just don't add fats to whatever you choose.

As for eating out at a steakhouse...YAY! Steakhouses have the best side dishes! They aren't going to be cooked without oil unless you request it, but when I took my feller out for his b-day I was able to enjoy a baked yam, dinner salad, saute'd seasonal veggies, corn on the cob, and the bread on the table. Mark my words, this was not fully compliant, but it was VERY doable in company. Possibly the brewery has a dish or two that you can choose from. The locally famous brewery restaurant in my town specializes in pasta dishes and they offer a veggie marinara. But something like IHOP or Applebee's? not so much.

anyway, I have enjoyed reading this thread! I love all the advice you've gotten...quite motivating for me! :) Keep us posted, and keep coming back!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby healthyvegan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:06 pm

the immediacy of results and how quickly things fall apart when I loosen up.

The self-efficacy from seeing the scale drop, feeling better, better quality of sleep, that happened right off the bat for me nearly 20 years ago have helped me sustain this for 2 decades. When you live the proof its hard to go back. Sure I have slipped into junk food vegan for short periods of time, but as soon as my pants don't button then I quickly change where I eat out if at all and ban all the processed junk from the house and get right back on track. Its about how quickly you can pull yourself back up, not how often you fall off the horse for long term success. Our environment is completely food toxic and even with the best intentions its easy to slip back in especially with all the creative new plant based products and restaurants that look like they have our health concerns, but end up being too calorie dense.
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby figlover » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:25 am

healthyvegan wrote:Our environment is completely food toxic and even with the best intentions its easy to slip back in especially with all the creative new plant based products and restaurants that look like they have our health concerns, but end up being too calorie dense.

yes, we've seen your videos. :D
I forum here cause I have no where else to go.
figlover

Postby MINNIE » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:05 am

We will be accommodated in a hotel, which is famous for it's breakfast. I checked the hotel website and saw pictures of it. All I saw was eggs in every way, several sausages and tons of bacon.

Will your room have a microwave and/or fridge? In this situation I would bring some oats (or whatever you like) for breakfast, and eat this before going to the breakfast buffet. If you can't get access to a microwave you can soak oats with water or eat some whole grain bread to fill up.

Then, if they have fruit or something else that is acceptable, it's a bonus. If not, you won't be hungry enough to eat the greasy stuff.
Also, your group might not even notice/care if you skip (their) breakfast -lots of people do that. No excuses or explanations should be needed, or offered, and if asked you can say you would rather sleep late. That's probably not a lie:).
MINNIE

Postby Vintagesan » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:51 pm

Thanks for the helpful hints. I will see what both restaurants offer. As for my hotel room, unfortunately there will be no fridge. But I have a coffee machine (amen!) and a water boiler. Found some oat-chia-cups from a vegan brand in our drugstore today. They are prepared with hot water. So I'll eat maybe two of these in the morning. At the fair we are not able to eat. They have food options there, but we are not allowed to leave our spot. (Except for visitting the toilet lol) The first day is 8 hours for me without anything to eat, the second day even 11 hours. Maybe a good chance to try out this intermitting fasting thing? :mrgreen:

I'm just afraid I will be so hungry afterwards that I am going to make bad food choices.
After the fair I will drive home together with 3 other guys from my team. They told me that they will visit McDonald's during the ride, but that's okay for me - I will survive on a huge coffee there and eat when I am home again.
Vintagesan

Postby SunnyMcDGal » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:58 pm

I have been thinking about this very topic, because I am trying once again to get "100%" on plan.

Reading what you have written, I see some challenges you face which I also face. You say your husband has been telling you to change to vegetarian instead of following McDougall. Your husband eats pizza in front of you. My husband refuses to follow McDougall, also. Spouses can be either intentionally or unintentionally attempting to get you off your eating plan and back to eating what they prefer.

So this is your first challenge:

HUSBAND: ignore his attempts to derail you. You need to educate him. If he offers pizza, do not say "no", say "Please do not sabotage my efforts to get healthier by offering me food that is not on my program"

When he tells you that you "can't" follow McD (presumeably implying you are too weak), say "I need you to fully support me, and not try to derail my efforts". You might want to look up the nutritional content of cheese & dairy and white flour and explain to him about empty calories and harmful animal fats.

TEMPTATION:
You likely are more tempted than you should be, because of hunger.

I like the video of Dr. McD posted earlier in this thread. The first thing Dr. McD said was "EAT!!". I think we set ourselves up for failure when we look at a FF Vegan eating plan as being mostly veggies. You cannot resist non-McD foods if you are "starved". I can end up feeling "starved but full" if I have an entire meal of raw veggies. My stomach is full, but my body knows I have not eaten enough food. That is why Dr. McD stresses eating white/sweet potato or beans or brown rice as the main oart of the entree and complement with veggies and fruit.

I always have more cravings if I eat anything with sugar. Try eliminating sugar for 5 days. After that yiu can experiment adding a little sprinkled on top of your food, and see what quantity you can eat without derailing yourself.

FOODS THAT YOU ARE NOT USED TO:
You do not have to buy weird veggies to follow McD. Buy potatoes and bake or microwave them. Buy veggies you recognize and hopefully like, and add some on the side. Have fruit for dessert.

EXPENSIVE
Potatoes are not expensive. Fruit and veggies do NOT cost more than pizza, cheese, meat, milk, butter, oil.

BULK
I never buy in bulk. I buy what I plan to eat in the coming week.

MOTIVATION
It really helps to know why YOU want to follow McD. I follow McD for my health, my weight, and so I feel and move better. Hopefully I will live longer. I know for CERTAIN that if I follow McD 100% for a month before having blood work, that ALL my "numbers" are perfect. I know for CERTAIN that if I eat meat and cheese and eggs, my cholesterol goes above recommended levels. TRY 30 days being 100% compliant. Eliminate meat, dairy, oil, white flour, sugar, packaged and processed foods (deep fat fried and all the rest). Eat only what McD suggests. Then get your annual blood work. You can prove to yourself that McD is right. You do not have to wonder whether McD is right or if the Paleo crowd is right.

RESTAURANTS
I have found that most restaurants have oatmeal and fruit available for breakfast. Lunch and dinner, even at a steak house usuwlly include salads, fruit, veggies. It takes more motivation when surrounded by meat eaters.

FAST FOOD
I like Eden Organic no salt canned beans. Open the can and eat cold or hot. I like Organic Health Valley no salt lentil, no salt split pea (with a LOT of black pepper on top). If you have Trader Joe, try their frozen brown rice. Microwave and it is ready to eat. I toss a packet into a can of soup. A quick breakfast is old-fashioned oats plus raisins plus cinnamon & water microwaved. I have an old, tiny, slow microwave and it only takes 8 minutes to cook. I like prepacked veggie trays that have a variety of veggie which can be eaten raw. I like bags of baby carrots.

PLAN AHEAD
Find a slow cooker somebody you know is not using. Most people have them, so if you do not, try borrowing ine from a friend. Toss in some ingredients and your dinner will be ready before dinner preparations begin.

FAMILY
Try finding fast, reasonably healthy options for them, such as frozen entrees, or cooking enough for several days.
SunnyMcDGal

Postby Suey51 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:42 am

Hi Vintagesan.

Thank you for posting this question, I've enjoyed reading the discussion its generated :)

For me the change isn’t permanent yet as I’ve only been a McDougaller since May 2017, but I want to make it permanent. What’s helped me make it this far, is a combination of two things: having my head in the sky and my feet on the ground.

By this I mean:
1. Head in the sky: having a big goal/vision to inspire and motivate me. I had some painful but not life-threatening health problems, which were the catalyst for making the change at that moment. But, the wider health benefits of preventing diseases like heart disease and cancer came a close second. I visualised my future in a positive way, ‘having a long, healthy and active life’. While the goal started being about improving my own health, as others have said here, it then expanded to other aspects like the environment and animal welfare. Having a big goal has helped me get back on track when I've stumbled, as I have many times. Reading and re-reading the research on the links between nutrition and health as well as other people's success stories really helped maintain the motivation.

2. Feet on the ground:
the day-to-day practicalities of making such a big change can be very tricky. Like others have said, keeping food simple, batch food preparation, taking food with me when I travel, learning new recipes, learning how to eat out in restaurants, learning how to deal with cravings have all helped. I’ve spent (and continue to spend) a lot of time reading books, watching videos and reading posts on this forum to help me acquire and maintain these skills. At various times I have kept a journal and/or food diary which has helped me reflect on what’s working or areas where I can improve. I also joined the MWL weigh-in group on this forum which was a huge help, providing accountability, companionship, encouragement and practical advice.

If you only have the big goal, then it’s easy to stumble over the practicalities. If you only focus on the practicalities, then it’s easy to lose sight of what’s motivating you to make the changes in the first place. When you get both together, then KERPOWWWWW!!!!! That’s when the long-term magic really starts to happen :)

PS The longer I stay at this the easier it gets. Keep working at it!
Suey51

Postby Vintagesan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:52 am

Today I am reading this post started by myself again and again.
Currently my diet plan doesn't work as good as expected. Mostly I am feeling good, but the weight is quite persistent. lol
I still haven't reached that point where I am completely satisfied...
Most of the time I feel hungry and don't see results.

Now the situation at home became even worse, because my husband started something called The Denmark diet and loses weight so damn quickly. He feels great, he looks great - though I personally think his diet is the ulhealthiest way of eating I can imagine. Nevertheless, it hurts. Knowing you do something good for your body, but simply not reaching the goals you had in mind at the beginning. So I'm reading a lot here the last days, today again and again this post, just to stay on track and not surrender...
Vintagesan

Postby gracezw » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:22 am

You are trying hard to stay on track and not to surrender. You are awesome!
I looked at The Denmark Diet on Livestrong. It is for only 13 days at a time, and for once every two years. It is about eating 600 calories of lean beef, eggs, lettuce and coffee every day.
I understand how difficult it is when your husband is doing something else very different. I suggest that you should set healthy boundaries with him.
Nobody is perfect. Even if you give in and fall off the wagon, it is not a big deal, and it is part of the change and the journey. You will be increasingly stronger. This year is my 6th year. I am definitely a lot stronger than three years ago.
gracezw

Postby Vintagesan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:51 am

Thanks for your encouraging words, gracezw.
The original plan is for 13 days, but he found a plan that can be done "as long as needed". I checked the page you've mentioned and it's a bit different then. Anyway you are right and it's completely different from what I am doing. But he is so convinced because his friends are doing this for months now. I have to confess they look amazing.

I'm not the one that causes our heated debates.
If he wants to eat like this, he shall do so. But he is the one that always twist a knife in the wounds...
"Wow, I have lost even more weight" or "How much potatoes have you used for this meal? 4?! And you are still wondering why you don't lose any weight?!" or "Maybe you should try my diet for a month and then you will see that this works so much better than your plantbased diet. I only see you eating tons of carbs. Carbs make you fat, or at least you won't be able to lose weight"

It's so frustrating... :crybaby:
Vintagesan

Postby gracezw » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:55 am

“I keep it simple. My problem is to stay on track. I don't want to blame anybody else than myself, but sometimes it's also hard when I chew my veggies while my husband and my son sit next to me with their big pizza. That's one of my typical fail-moments. I know I should say no when they offer me a slice, but I don't. ”

Vintagesan, I have heard you say this. I eat separately from my husband and son at home. Each of us has a separate eating station, and eats at different times and frequencies. We spend a lot of time at home and discuss things together when we are not eating.
gracezw

Postby gracezw » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:05 am

“foodie wrote:if i wait too long to eat, i find it's easier to include non-compliant items on top of my pile of starch

That's my problem as well. To be honest that is THE problem. And I usually fail on busy working days. I saw the video you posted in one of my other topics as well - it was really helpful. Especially for the salt/sugar I am more relaxed now.”

Vintagesan, I understand this from you too. As you stay with this eating plan longer, you will be better at planning ahead of time and having compliant food available all the time. I plan on the whole cooking and eating thing, do bulking cooking and freeze cooked items for later.

I could not have imagined what I was able to accomplish yesterday. I treated 7 teens and 3 parents out to my favorite restaurant for lunch, without me eating anything there! I did not crave the food there at all for the first time! Overtime I have gotten a lot stronger!
gracezw

Postby gracezw » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:09 am

I have failed many times during the course of 6 years. Sometimes it was really discouraging and frustrating. But I did not give up. I have kept on trying. I have a sense of great success from how well I did at that restaurant. I have practiced detachment for a long time, and finally got it.
gracezw

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge