What helped you to make a permanent change?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

What helped you to make a permanent change?

Postby Vintagesan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:45 am

I'm asking because I'm starting to question myself...
Others seem to simply adopt this way of eating and that's it.
I've tried so as well by replacing my foods literally overnight, but to be honest I'm failing most of the time.

To me nothing about this way of eating is simple. Not yet.
I have to buy foods which I am not used to. Currently this is difficult for me and also expensive.*
My plantbased options are tasty - really, I love them! I could eat tons of them and sadly that's what I do most of the time. Anyway, I always have the feeling of missing something. ** And then it happens again that I am eating something I should not eat, which frustrates me the most at the moment. I couldn't manage to eat one day completely compliant to this WOE. Sometimes it feels like all this toil is for nothing. And for some reason I find the more I am trying to avoid dairy and meat the bigger my cravings for meals including them become. :( ***

What helped you to focus yourself in the beginning?
Am I the only one who struggles with this?
My husband thinks trying to go vegan cold turkey isn't a thing for me and told me to stay vegetarian first for some time. Do you think this could help?

(* We are only able to buy our groceries in three different stores, which mostly have the same brands and products. I am not able to buy in bulk because I don't have space to storage. /// ** Don't get me wrong, I am not particularly missing meat, but the meals including it. /// *** I have cravings for things I didn't even eat on a regular basis before trying this WOE. And my biggest problem I am not saying no when someone offers me something like this. )
Vintagesan

Re: What helped you to make a permanent change?

Postby geo » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:33 am

Being sick and tired of being sick and tired. Literrally it was all about my my health. It seemed everyone in my family was sick and I was headed down the same road. Cancer, heart disease, diabetes (type 1 and 2), obesity, high BP, arthritis, kidney disease, etc... were all rampant in my family and I was on the edge of suffering badly. Chronic diseases followed me everywhere. It was either do something now or suffer the sme fate as my family members.

That was the motivation I needed...sad but true...many of us only come to this woe when our lives are threatened.

What I don't understand is why you find this program so hard. you only need one store to shop in. The food is cheap. There is nothing exotic you need to buy. Any old grocery store will do.

The program consists of nothing more than eating Starches, veggies, fruits and water. For me the only difficult part was cooking or learning how to cook. Everything I make is simple and takes no more than 10-15 mins to make. I eat when I'm hungry and as much as I want, thats the only rule I really follow other than what to eat... Keep it simple because it is.

The hardest issue for everyone, I think, is simply getting over your food addictions to very high palatable foods...i.e., foods loaded with salt, sugar and fats...the triumvarate of food addicting substances. That can take a couple weeks to many months to get over but you will get over it with time. Just keep plugging away at it and eventually one day you will wake up and not even notice that you arent eating all the things anymore that make you sick and tired.

You can take a look at my journal link in my sig to see how I did it over a years time...everything I did, ate, thought, felt for everyday of a year. My testamonial link in my sig shows the results I achieved.

And yes I think everyone can do this and have the same results and when you have issues, just keep coming back here and asking questions...we will help you the best we can.

One final thing. Read, watch and listen to everything Dr McDougall and Jeff Novick, RD says on this site and within these forums. The education you will recieve is invaluable and won't cost you a penny.
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby bbq » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:42 am

Depending on where you live, you could have plenty of non-perishable items delivered to your place. Personally I'm living in Hong Kong myself and I could place an order for 60 bucks, then iHerb.com would offer free shipping.

My life totally sucked at the beginning of this journey since I was having so much pain in my chest back then. That didn't long to go away when I was only making green smoothies in the office for each and every breakfast and lunch. Then I would have a salad, some fruits, or maybe canned beans etc. for dinners.

Then my father passed away after having a fatal heart attack, I could finally start cooking at home since nobody would bother me about my food choices anymore. I started learning more about starches and then even my nasty problem with tinea versicolor disappeared afterwards.

My grandma also suffered from diabetes for decades and one of her legs was amputated, finally she's gone after succumbing to chronic disease like my father did.

In other words, I had more than enough reasons to keep myself focused or else I could very well be the next in line to kick the bucket. I also kept watching one documentary after another to educate myself how our food choices were basically ruining our one and only Planet Earth. Simply put, I could no longer participate in any destructive activities that could kill myself prematurely while devastating the environment. The future generations would point their fingers at their ancestors' graveyards and ask how could anyone do absolutely nothing to save the world.
bbq

Postby landog » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:02 am

Keep it simple.
Potatoes or rice.
Add veggies.

How hard is that?
landog

Postby Werner1950 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:38 am

My change was made permanent by a health crisis and by doing a lot of research.
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

Postby f00die » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:00 am

Vintagesan wrote:I'm asking because I'm starting to question myself...
Others seem to simply adopt this way of eating and that's it.

it only seems that way.
if you read through the journals
you can learn how ppl struggle and succeed
then fail and struggle again.
that has been my experience as well.

Dr. McD has said "your plate should be 90% starch by eyeball"
i keep to that.
in the beginning i stuffed myself with more starch than i thought reasonable
the cravings went away
then the food amounts decreased (a little, and not every day)
plus eating on a schedule
if i wait too long to eat, i find it's easier to include non-compliant items
on top of my pile of starch

here's my favorite video on how to eat this way "perfectly"
i watch it frequently, just to remind myself, when i have doubts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STHoPKQxbko
f00die

Postby figlover » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:25 am

The nagging voices of doubt about all your decisions regarding healthier food choices are a part of the process of change. No work arounds, no free passes or painless promises. It sucks to be a living growing organism adapting to new information and decision making. Time and compliance to your new behaviors is your only ally. The sooner you accept the state of flux this WOE brings, being at odds with everything out there telling you otherwise, the more mental tools you will develop for you own success with it.
I forum here cause I have no where else to go.
figlover

Postby Willijan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:36 am

I was vegetarian for years before I started this diet. That probably helped, because I learned to eat vegetables, but it is really bad for your health--dairy and eggs and oil. Once I started this, my biggest problem was craving sweets. I couldn't stay on the diet unless I had something like cake or cookies or chocolate. And the idea of cooking without oil sounded very difficult.

Problem 1, Sweets: There are McDougall compliant cakes. I ate some every day. This is not good. But when I tried to go without it I couldn't stay on the diet. For a while I ate cake--only McDougall recipes, then I gradually switched to things like oatmeal with sugar, or baked oatmeal with dates. I never eat cake or cookies now, not even for my birthday, but I do put a little sugar in my stewed apples. Applesauce can also be good on oatmeal, or just a chopped apple.

Problem 2, No Oil: I thought water sauteing sounded ludicrous. I just made myself try it, and surprise: it works great. You do have to give up the texture of fried foods.

What I suggest is that you keep trying compliant foods over and over, even if you keep slipping up. Don't give up, no matter what you end up eating. That is what is working for my husband. He misses meat, cheese, oil, etc. But now when he gives in and eats meat, he says that the compliant foods actually taste better to him. He is really succeeding in eating better and better.

I also suggest you continually look forward to the health changes that will happen to you as you get older. You will get sick in one way or another, or probably many. Keep that front and center. Keep reading what has happened to people on this board. Keep reading how the McDougall program can solve problems. Because you are really going to regret it when you start to lose functioning body parts.

For instance, my husband is having severe knee problems due to arthritis, which he likely would not have if he had eaten this way earlier. You can get macular degeneration and lose your vision or part of it. You can have a stroke--I did when I was 60. Younger people and even older ones have a tendency to think, "I'm fine. Why do I need to change anything?" This is not realistic.

I don't know how old you are. But keep working on this while you are younger; use this opportunity to learn how to do it. And keep your sense of urgency.
Willijan

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:58 am

Any particular change, for some people will be totally effortless while for others, nearly impossible at first. In my training as a health coach, it was emphasized that "motivation" was the real key.

It absolutely MUST be your own, internal motivation for it to work, not doing it because someone else wants you to etc. Fear i.e. "I'm going to die if I don't do this" only works for the very short term and then we become accustomed to it and slide off the tracks.

What is needed is powerful, long term, deeply inspiring goal(s). That will be different for every person. For one it might be "dancing at my grandchild's wedding". For another it might be continuing to be able to skateboard into my 80's.

It does not matter at all how profound or silly it may seem to someone else. The only thing that counts is that it is a magnet into the future for you personally. And it can change over time but you do need a beacon.

Once that is in place, the rest becomes easy.

Simple exercise that can help you find your mojo:

Divide a sheet of paper into 4 quadrants. Label them 1) What will I gain from making this change 2) What will I lose from making this change 3) What will I gain from continuing as I am without changing and 4) What will I lose from continuing as I am without changing.

Take a couple days and whenever you think of something, write it in the appropriate box. Once you have done all that, sit and ponder it a bit and then ask yourself, "On a scale of 1-10, how willing, ready, able am I to make this change?"

If the answer is 7 or above you're in!

If your answer is below 7, and it could be, then it is very likely that at this time there is enough in the way that you won't be able to do it.

That does NOT mean to give up! Rather it means to identify what is blocking you from a higher number answer and deal with that. Relationship issues, job issues, any sort of intense chronic stress, could be anything. But some easing of that will need to be found, to free up the energy to make the diet change. I have had struggling clients decide they just were not ready to change their way of eating at the time and come back a few months later and say NOW I am ready and they were and it was pretty easy for them to do it.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby MINNIE » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:44 am

I was sick and wanted to be well.

Being sick was hell.

This is heaven -or the closest thing I'll ever experience :).

But, that's just me.
I had no problem adopting this way of eating and have stuck to it 100%.

But, that's just me.
you are a free human being. You have the right to try and fail, or to adapt at your own pace, and nobody can judge you.

IF you believe this is worth pursuing, you will find your own way.

Good luck, and good health !!
MINNIE

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:22 pm

If you haven't seen it, you might find Dr. Lisle's Continuum of Evil presentation helpful. All or nothing mentality is dangerous. Failure is part of the process. The only people who don't learn through trial and error are those who were born perfect. I don't know any of those people. :lol:

http://esteemdynamics.org/video/the-continuum-of-evil/

Dr. Lisle on cravings: https://www.forksoverknives.com/craving ... gs.9oLguTA

Acquiring a set of new habits, a new normal, doesn't happen overnight, not for the majority of people anyway. Be patient with yourself.

The willpower paradox: https://www.forksoverknives.com/does-wi ... gs.7tsscPE
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Poison Ivy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:24 pm

Fear of disease as I age was my primary motivator. I wish I had a crystal ball and could peer into the future. LOL :-D
Poison Ivy

Postby Vintagesan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:31 pm

Thank you all for your answers. I know all of you have own reasons to follow this WOE and the motivation of one may not be the motivation of another. But in general it was good to read that some of you had similiar problems in the beginning. That really helps me not to feel like an alien on planet McDougall anymore lol.

geo wrote:Being sick and tired of being sick and tired

I can totally relate, because my whole family is dying because of cancer. I know I'm going to die one day, but it's my biggest fear to die like them.

bbq wrote:Depending on where you live, you could have plenty of non-perishable items delivered to your place.

You are right, but this only pays when I had the space to storage. And compared to those items I can buy in stores here the shop items are mostly way more expensive.

landog wrote:Keep it simple. [...] How hard is that?

I keep it simple. My problem is to stay on track. I don't want to blame anybody else than myself, but sometimes it's also hard when I chew my veggies while my husband and my son sit next to me with their big pizza. That's one of my typical fail-moments. I know I should say no when they offer me a slice, but I don't.

Werner1950 wrote:My change was made permanent by a health crisis and by doing a lot of research

I also like to research things. But especially for this WOE it's like Dr McDougall says my whole life was a lie. Everything I thought I know is wrong. Anyway, it's easy to find "some experts" who say eating plantbased/vegan is dangerous. I always felt secure by doing my own research, but today I am simply confused. Who is right, who is wrong? How can I know what is true? How can I still visit my doctor when he uses to tell me I shall eat more meat to lose weight while Dr McDougall says dairy and meat cause illness? I hope you know what I mean.

foodie wrote:if i wait too long to eat, i find it's easier to include non-compliant items on top of my pile of starch

That's my problem as well. To be honest that is THE problem. And I usually fail on busy working days. I saw the video you posted in one of my other topics as well - it was really helpful. Especially for the salt/sugar I am more relaxed now.

figlover wrote:Time and compliance to your new behaviors is your only ally

Wise words. Actually I am not in the position to explain my food decisions to others, yet. Well except for my husband. Others haven't noiced so far. But the weekend will be a challenge, because my work mates and I will be on a trade fair. It's the first time for me joining them and it's already difficult for me. We will be accommodated in a hotel, which is famous for it's breakfast. I checked the hotel website and saw pictures of it. All I saw was eggs in every way, several sausages and tons of bacon. Then there is this team custom to dine out together after each day of the fair. They usually visit a famous steakhouse one day and some kind of brewery with meat specialties ther other day. I'm so going to be the killjoy... I know it.

Willijan wrote:What I suggest is that you keep trying compliant foods over and over, even if you keep slipping up. Don't give up, no matter what you end up eating.

That's what I am doing but I am not sure if this failing will stop. I really hope so. And reading that this worked for your husband as well encourages me not to give up.

GeoffreyLevens wrote:What is needed is powerful, long term, deeply inspiring goal(s). That will be different for every person.
Yes, I think so,too. Thank you for your little exercise - I will try it. When it comes to motivation I have learned you can divide people into be-motivated or do-motivated. Easy explanation: When your parents used to tell you that they simply love you, you may be be-motivated. Be-motivated persons usually do not have ambitious aims. They lead their lives and reach their goals in smaller steps., which helps them not to fail so easy. But they also need way longer for everything, because they prone to underestimate themselves. When your parents used to praise you only when you have achieved or done something, you may be do-motivated. Do-motivated persons always have high goals. They want results and quick success, else they will feel like having failed. But since they usually have high goals they fail more often. Every single critic, every little mistake worries them. Since understanding I am a do-motivated person, I can manage "all the drama" in my life much better lol. Maybe you can use this for your clients as well. If you want to know more about it, just write me.

MINNIE wrote:IF you believe this is worth pursuing, you will find your own way.

Thanks, Minnie. Yes I do and I hope to find my way. But I am also glad it was so easy for you.

LuckyMomma wrote:Simplicity in foods is the easiest. Don’t need tons of variety . When the weight comes off you will be more motivated.
Weight loss was not my aim, although I should lose some pounds. But I think you are right. I may need so see results to stay on track.

AlwaysAgnes wrote:Acquiring a set of new habits, a new normal, doesn't happen overnight, not for the majority of people anyway. Be patient with yourself.
Thank you for the links. I haven't watched it before so I will check it. I know patience should be the key. Unfortunately I am the most impatient person when it affects myself. But I will try to change this.

Poison Ivy wrote:Fear of disease as I age was my primary motivator. I wish I had a crystal ball and could peer into the future. LOL
HA, I could need such a crystal ball, too. :mrgreen: But seriously, I am really afraid of getting a disease.

Sorry for any typo - it's 4.30 am over here!
Vintagesan

Postby f00die » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:14 pm

Vintagesan wrote:...
That's what I am doing but I am not sure if this failing will stop.

this is not the goal. this is a "moral striving". to stop failing. (no gold pot at the end of that rainbow)
a nice looking distraction.

the goal is to eat more starch.
more starch in my mouth.

eventually that crowds the bad guys out.
they stop tasting as good
you notice they make your body feel bad
etc.
f00die

Postby Bkworm » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:03 pm

Main reason for following this WOE is to control the extremely severe RA flares I experience when I don’t eat this way. Also needed to lose lots of weight, 90 lbs so far but it has slowed to a crawl. By following this WOE I have never had to take the horrible RA meds that are prescribed. Also got off high blood pressure meds I had taken for over 20 years, plus several other meds. Only see my PCP once a year now.

Have already lost two of my three siblings. The third is very ill and has been since his early 60s with all the SAD illnesses - Type 2 diabetes, COPD, multiple heart stints, blood issues, high blood pressure, uses oxygen all the time. He takes about 19 different meds several times a day. He is 72 and I am 66. He commented just last week that you never know exactly when your health will deteriorate and you won’t be able to do much any more. But he was a heavy smoker for years and still chews tobacco. He is also a recovering alcoholic. It is my belief that those life habits also played a lot getting him to this point in his health journey.

I know I am aging and will continue to do so but hope that this WOE will keep me from becoming totally dependent on others for my care. I just have my DH and DS and don’t want to be anymore dependent on them for my care. My dad died at age 69 of a massive MI in his sleep but had been extremely active up until then. My mother died seven years later. Both lived independently until their deaths. That is what I hope for myself. They were married 49 years. My dad used to say he would rather wear out than rust out which is what he did as he had a huge garden and pecan trees to care for along with the 20 acres of land he took care of also. My two siblings who died were very ill for years before their deaths. Our conversations for years before their deaths revolved around their medical conditions, doctor appointments, medical procedures, medications, etc. That is basically what my conversations with my brother now consist of also.

My best piece of advice is to keep it simple. I started out making the more complicated recipes and purchasing lots of seasonings, etc., that I eventually ended up throwing out and wasting all that money. Mary McDougall has some of the very best advice of cleaning out your kitchen and what you need to purchase to outfit your kitchen. I just recently printed out a nine-page handout from this site somewhere that lists types of food for a well stocked pantry and refrigerator, touches on types of non-stick cookware, cook times and I can’t remember exactly what else. Her recipes are usually very simple and extremely delicious. I do have some recipes from Forks Over Knives and Ann and Jane Esselstyn as well as many others. But Mary McDougall and Jeff Novick have the easiest prepared and best tasting recipes as far as my family is concerned. Remember that these recipes are just a starting point. Feel free to adjust the spices and ingredients to suit yourself and your family’s tastes.

Make lots of soups and stews. They can be served over all types of starches such as rice, quinoa, potatoes, sweet potatoes. I love to add starches to huge salads, too. Keep lots of frozen veggies, plain veggies without sauces, on hand. When you go to the steak house, eat something compliant before hand and then order a plain baked potato and a huge salad. Take your own toppings for the potato and salad. I love to mash up a baked potato and put my salad on top of it. The huge breakfast bar will probably offer some type of oatmeal which will come closer to being compliant than the eggs, sausage, and bacon. It will also probably have several types of fresh fruit.

It can be difficult when family members continue to bring in fast food or insist on SAD food. Let them cook their own SAD foods. There are compliant pizza crust that are available so you might be able to make a compliant pizza for yourself at the times they are eating their pizza. My DH and DS still eat SAD away from the house and bring in fast food at times. It can be very difficult to avoid it in some ways but it does get easier as your taste buds change. I make certain I always have some sort of compliant food on hand at all times that I can throw a meal together quickly so have some items to eat while they have the fast food. I only keep compliant food in my pantry and refrigerator and only prepare compliant food myself. If DH or DS want SAD foods, they must purchase it, prepare it and clean up after themselves.

Hope some of this helps. You have been receiving fantastic advice from everyone. This is one of the most supportive groups I have ever been a member of.
Bkworm

Next

Return to The Lounge