Potato Reset e-Book Released

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Potato Reset e-Book Released

Postby VeggieSue » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:15 pm

Jeanine Elder, formerly known on YouTube as BananaWisdom, currently known as PotatoWisdom, as finally released her PDF e-book called The Potato Reset.
https://www.potatoreset.com/

Besides her story and an outline of a basic short-term potato cleanse food plan, she includes 30 potato recipes and 15 sauce recipes, as well as a bunch of spice blends, all McDougall-safe, most MWLP safe, and all SOS free except for some maple or date syrup in a few condiments.

Until midnight EST tonight (Sunday) it's half price at $12.50 and starting Monday its regular price is $25.

If you like her YouTube videos https://www.youtube.com/user/BananaWisdom you'll like the recipes in this book. Well, many from the book are from those videos. :)
VeggieSue

Re: Potato Reset e-Book Released

Postby patty » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:45 pm

Wow sounds like a great book. I will check out her videos... Mahalo, patty
patty

Postby veg tom » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:04 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
A is A
veg tom

Postby Ltldogg » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:31 pm

Here is my problem with these type of posts and boosting people like PotatoWisdom, High Carb Hannah, Andrew Taylor:

Their ebooks go beyond recipes and directly into nutritional advice. These people are not qualified to give any kind of advice or "coaching" as they call it. And for this person in particular, although she has lost weight (which I am happy for her!), she is not in a healthy BMI range and has not earned the right to espouse any kind of advice. What happens when in a month or so she falls off this way of eating and then spews out different advice. She claimed the banana diet was working for her too. This happens with High Carb Hannah all the time as well as almost every famous "Vegan" YouTuber. Any of these sound familiar: Durianrider, Freelee, That Vegan Couple, Drews Likes Rice, Happy Healthy Vegans, Unnatural Vegan, Vegan Gains, etc, etc. THEY HAVE ALL CHANGED THEIR TUNE OVER TIME AND ALL OF THEM HAVE MOVED TO IF NOT CLOSER TO A MCDOUGALL DIET.

You should never take any kind of advice from these YouTubers looking to make money off of being coaches and nutritional advisors; this goes for Chef AJ too. I'm sorry, but it has to be said.

If these people would have just followed Dr. McDougall and Jeff Novick's advise, consistently and long-term, they would all achieved results. John and Jeff are the experts and have education credentials, decades of experience and practice with real clients. They back up their methods with Scientific studies. They give credit to others for helping shape their careers and guiding them.

Following "YouTubers" and Chef's nutritional advice blurs the advice from experts that actually works. I have said it before and will say it again, I don't understand people who are on THESE boards and constantly espouse the advice from people other than Dr. McDougall and Jeff Novick; especially unqualified people with limited experience, no credentials, no long-term success, constantly changing approaches, etc.

If you can't watch these YouTubers and Chef's for nothing but entertainment and McDougall complaint recipe ideas, than you should really consider stop watching them all together.

I'm not sorry for this post except to say I wish it didn't have to be said, but we have new people join these forums all the time. And all of them (and even some long time followers) are easily impressionable and this trend needs to be stopped.

Stick with Dr. McDougall and Jeff Novick and you'll be fine!

Cheers,
Scott
Ltldogg

Postby VeggieSue » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:49 am

Ltldogg wrote:Here is my problem with these type of posts and boosting people like PotatoWisdom, High Carb Hannah, Andrew Taylor:

Their ebooks go beyond recipes and directly into nutritional advice. These people are not qualified to give any kind of advice or "coaching" as they call it.

And you could post the same warning about BrandNewVegan and McDougaller Chuck Underwood and PotatoStrong and McDougaller WIll Kriski, and many other McDougallers who now call themselves "coaches".

I'm just there for the recipes. As I said, all the recipes are McDougall safe in the PotatoWIsdom book.

Like you, I follow the dietary advice of Dr. McDougall and his hand-picked dietitian Jeff Novick. But I look at a lot of places on-line for recipes that fall into the McDougall parameters.
VeggieSue

Postby roundcoconut » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:53 pm

I agree with Ltldogg’s post!

There are some subsets of Dr McDougall’s recommendations that I consider reasonable. An SOS-free version can be appropriate for someone who wants less Pleasure Trap in their food. An elimination diet can be appropriate for someone who is experiencing auto-immune issues. MWL is obviously appropriate for people who prefer to eat lower in calorie density, for weight or for health reasons.

But a starch-only diet? I can’t imagine a reason on earth why Dr. McDougall or Jeff Novick would encourage anyone to abstain from fruits or vegetables. It sounds like a gimmick that could only lead to disappointment. As in, “I gave up BROCCOLI and didn’t even lose weight!” Well, who in the world told you to give up broccoli!? Andrew Spudfit Taylor!?!

I feel similarly about a fruitarian diet. It’s fine if people want to do this, but we would not be a good set of cheerleaders for this kind of endeavor. It is just not the diet that’s taught or promoted here.

Of course, if someone forgets to have their veggies some day, there is no harm in that. But I am hard-pressed to understand intentionally eating only potatoes and expecting nice things to happen with your health. If nothing else, it is a calorie-sufficient, but wacky idea. Less satiety than including the fruits or vegetables, so why do this?!?

It is a great idea for if you get snowed in some day, with just your spuds and a microwave. Then, I would say “Good thinking!” Till then, I’m not a fan. :)
roundcoconut

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:55 pm

Well, I'm not inclined to think that Dr. McDougall would have a problem with a diet based on potatoes. I think he would probably say potatoes offer complete nutrition. In any case, the potato reset (potato only w/a condiment) is a short term diet. Like an extreme elimination diet, it's not meant to be a forever diet/lifetime food plan. She explains in this video that she chose potato because 1. she doesn't like vegetables and thought including them would derail her, and 2. she wants to minimize options in order to help with junk food addiction tendency. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGTsOJXJRVo

Dr. McDougall addresses the potato cleanse in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGXjVRk-0-A Mostly he just doesn't like the word "cleanse." Otherwise he likens it to Mary's mini, which is another diet that's not meant to be forever/lifetime food plan.

Say what you want about the starch-based food bloggers and youtubers, but I think Dr. McDougall probably appreciates that they promote his starch-based dietary philosophy. I imagine that lot of their viewers probably find their way here.

I won't be buying the ebook, but based on what I saw in her videos, it looks like she knows how to make some crispy hash browns. :nod:
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Ltldogg » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:38 pm

AlwaysAgnes wrote:Well, I'm not inclined to think that Dr. McDougall would have a problem with a diet based on potatoes. I think he would probably say potatoes offer complete nutrition. In any case, the potato reset (potato only w/a condiment) is a short term diet. Like an extreme elimination diet, it's not meant to be a forever diet/lifetime food plan. She explains in this video that she chose potato because 1. she doesn't like vegetables and thought including them would derail her, and 2. she wants to minimize options in order to help with junk food addiction tendency. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGTsOJXJRVo

Dr. McDougall addresses the potato cleanse in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGXjVRk-0-A Mostly he just doesn't like the word "cleanse." Otherwise he likens it to Mary's mini, which is another diet that's not meant to be forever/lifetime food plan.

Say what you want about the starch-based food bloggers and youtubers, but I think Dr. McDougall probably appreciates that they promote his starch-based dietary philosophy. I imagine that lot of their viewers probably find their way here.

I won't be buying the ebook, but based on what I saw in her videos, it looks like she knows how to make some crispy hash browns. :nod:

I'm sure Dr. McDougall has no problem with McDougall compliant recipes, but offering health advice/coaching, he clearly does mind:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=56124&p=567232&#p567263

and from this newsletter: https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2017nl/jul/simple.htm

"In contrast, many popular healthcare "gurus" have had no formal education in the potentially life-threatening matters of your health. Almost as troubling are the credentialed healthcare/diet advisors who provide advice based solely on reading other people's research articles. The relevance of their guidance must be placed in the context that many of them haven't touched a patient since their primary dietetic or medical training."

My whole point is about boosting these people who go well beyond just offering recipes and entertainment, but instead cross-over directly into nutritional advice; especially for payment. Them offering any kind of nutritional coaching is wrong and dangerous (and questionably illegal if they are receiving payment). Why would someone pay a person for advice who still has a long way to go on their health journey and only knows things second-hand versus paying a certified professional like Jeff Novick or Dr. McDougall, both of whom have decades of experience, formal training and client history?

Unfortunately many people on these forums and other forms of social media fall for these tactics and that is what I am here to dissuade.

Cheers,
Scott
Ltldogg

Postby patty » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:43 pm

This is a life journey. I just watched one or two videos. I say Go Girl!!!

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby smudgemom » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:10 pm

1. For all practical purposes those in this forum can relate, Jeannine’s plan is e.x.a.c.t.l.y Mary’s Mini. Sometimes for a week, sometimes longer. Potatoes, non-starchy vegetables, little salt, no oil...I mean it’s exactly like the MM.

2. What’s the saying? ‘When The student is ready, the teacher will come?’ For many, hearing the same message but from another voice...it will be heard. When talking about the WFPB low fat message, many will ‘hear’, for instance, Esselstyn & Barnard because ‘they are so soft spoken & they really know what they’re talking about’. I mention Dr. McDougall & I get the curled lip..’he’s mean!’ ‘He’s just a charlatan who doesn’t know what he’s talking about.’ Huh, dude...all those doctors say the exact same message...just different voices.

3. Many...and I mean MANY...would say the WFPB lifestyle is crazy....just a diet tactic, but we learned it’s not.

4. With Dr. Esselstyn’s Program, during the period where the patients are going through everything, he brings in someone who has done the program & benefited from the program. Seeing a ‘normal’ person do it, makes it possible for many people.

5. I support Jeannine, Hannah & Andrew. They really put themselves out there...’warts’ & all. Have to give them cred.

7. Curious, what sort of ‘health advice’ is everyone talking about? In these groups, whenever someone talks about a medical condition, the Admin is good about saying ‘see your doctor’. Even the FB McDougall Friends Page does that from time to time.
smudgemom

Postby michaelswarm » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:38 pm

I have been expanding my potato dishes beyond mashed potatoes and French fries.I appreciate lots of potato recipes in one place. A google search turns up many versions of the basics, not compliant, etc. So thanks for the tip.
I agree we should be skeptical based on credentials, experience, common sense, etc. As parent of 3 children 1.5, 3 and 4 years, I feel good about giving nutrition advice. Can not send the kids to Dr McDougall immersion or have them only learn the wisdom from these boards.
Growing beyond a narrow niche will require many voices and hands.
michaelswarm

Postby Alfred » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:55 pm

VeggieSue wrote:Jeanine Elder, formerly known on YouTube as BananaWisdom, currently known as PotatoWisdom, as finally released her PDF e-book called The Potato Reset.
https://www.potatoreset.com/

Besides her story and an outline of a basic short-term potato cleanse food plan, she includes 30 potato recipes and 15 sauce recipes, as well as a bunch of spice blends, all McDougall-safe, most MWLP safe, and all SOS free except for some maple or date syrup in a few condiments.

Until midnight EST tonight (Sunday) it's half price at $12.50 and starting Monday its regular price is $25.

If you like her YouTube videos https://www.youtube.com/user/BananaWisdom you'll like the recipes in this book. Well, many from the book are from those videos. :)

Thanks for the heads-up, always looking for new potato related recipes. :)
Alfred

Postby soulnurturer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:20 am

What, exactly, does "The Potato Reset", re-set ?
Jesus blesses everything I eat and drink and takes sickness away from my midst.
(Exodus 23:25)
soulnurturer

Postby patty » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:33 am

soulnurturer wrote:What, exactly, does "The Potato Reset", re-set ?

It resets the system, when toxic foods are removed. It is all about the fiber for the digestive system. "Dr. McDougall's Digestive Tune-Up" is a great book about why we eat this way. Every family should have a copy. On top of the mountain, you see there are many paths. The skill is being able to extend a hand if the person next to you slips as then you automatically reset as it is One not two.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:39 pm

soulnurturer wrote:What, exactly, does "The Potato Reset", re-set ?

Taste buds. Habits.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Next

Return to The Lounge